How to tryout for the Miami Dolphins | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How to tryout for the Miami Dolphins

Stephen Neal:

A self-made player, the two-time NCAA wrestling champion never played a snap in college and was originally signed as an undrafted free agent. Only a two-year starter and teams typically don't spend much on guards in free agency, but this mauler might be worth the investment.

He never touched a pigskin, or shoulder pads, till he went pro, so if you are for real, then I think you could make it. Actually we even called the guy this offseason, he had a shot of becoming a Phin.

On the other hand I do think 6"1 380 pounds is too much, though you might be a freak.

i dunno if it was stated before, but whats the guy's past football history?

Joe Horn played at Junior College before going to the Arena league. I doubt in this day and age that unless you are a punter you wont be getting a walk on tryout. That is not saying you dont have a chance, I would highly recomend that you send out tapes to Arena teams and the CFL, if you really light it up you have a good chance

Try walking on to a JC first. If you are good enough from there to earn All State honors, then move on to a div 1 school. If you get all league there than you may survive a day in an NFL camp. Thats the best route to what you want to do.

dolphan8055 said:
well thats teh thing i dont know...I have a tariner that specializes in football i only played highschool but am 6'1 380 pounds and am very evry strong i give myself 2 more years of strenth straining and then try to get a shot but i dont know any routes to take to get the tryouts going.but for those of you who are rooting for me if i make it ill get you guys tickets lol

You need to take the wonderlic first.

Here's the thing (if it is all true):

Maybe he's really very strong, and it's time to get some experience (arena league, etc...), or maybe he isn't nearly strong enough (hence the 2 year plan) and this guy could be a dreamer.

If he's really very strong: I recall reading somewhere that a guy saw JJ, told him he could run a 4.2--40, and wanted to play ball. JJ told this guy if he could run that right then, he would give the guy a tryout. The guy didn't make it. (I think it said he got somewhere in the 4.3's) That was the end of his "shot" at the NFL. Now, if this guy is 6'1" 380 and "very strong", perhaps he could get the same type of chance to prove it, and himself.

On the other hand: If this guy's perception of "very strong" is benching 200 pounds, and squatting 250.....perhaps he should reconsider the reality of his dream. (You wouldn't believe how many people I've met who consider themselves strong, yet can't even get 200 up on the bench.) No.... gym numbers don't mean everything, (but at the same time) a lineman does need some strength to be able to hang with the opponent.

So basically if he's got himself ready in the gym, getting experience is the only missing link here. Waiting two years, and finding out that you may be way off, could be a huge let down.

actually since i work with an arena team, i might be able to get you a tryout, but arena teams work like the NFL, they dont just try people out. We actually have scouts that scour the NFL waiver wire and contact those players who have been cut or released or not drafted. Jamar martin was in camp for us this week. We just signed Van Brown(a practice squad player for the phins last yr). Its actually quite difficult to get into the arena leagues.

dolphan8055 said:
Hello all i am on a vigourous workout plan that will last for two more years i want to get into 100 percent tip top shape and i am only 21 i would liek to know if anyone has any information on how to accomplish to get a tryout with the Miami dolphins or an NFL team i have googled it a million times and cannot find anything even remotely close to help me. Nublar i hope you have something...:dolphins:

I think it's invitation only......

dolphan8055 said:
Hello all i am on a vigourous workout plan that will last for two more years i want to get into 100 percent tip top shape and i am only 21 i would liek to know if anyone has any information on how to accomplish to get a tryout with the Miami dolphins or an NFL team i have googled it a million times and cannot find anything even remotely close to help me. Nublar i hope you have something...:dolphins:

Here's an idea......

Contact the DOLPHINS ORGANIZATION.

I don't think Finheaven coordinates any tryouts, I may be wrong.

If they even entertain the idea, you better have some tape of yourself playing some organized football at a high level. At least with a college or amateur league. Even with that you have better odds of winning the lottery.

In reality you'd have to try out for a lesser league.
Arena, CFL or move to Europe and tryout for an NFLE team.
If you can't make those forget even sniffing the NFL.

Haournyie said:
I have never heard of anybody walking on to an NFL Team

Michael Lewis did it, the KR/PR for the Saints..... Dude had some regular crap job and his friends kept telling him to try out, and he did and made the team, so yea it can be done

Back
Top Bottom