How Would Feeley Perform In Another System? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Would Feeley Perform In Another System?

Dudeman said:
yet most Feeley supporters forget this one little thing. All he did was make sure he didn't lose the game.....

case in point....

these were the games he started in Philly in 2002:

St. Louis W
@ Seattle W
Washington W
@ Dallas W
@ Giants L

he threw 0 TDs in the win against St. Louis with a QB rating of 66.1
he threw 2 TDs and a pick against Seattle
he threw 2 TDs and a pick against Washington
he threw 1 TD and 2 picks against Dallas with a rating of 66.9
he threw 0 TDs and a pick against the Giants in the loss

Now people talk about how Feeley did so well. But if you look into it further, he didn't beat anybody good. In all of his starts, he only played 1 playoff team (the Giants) and he lost. The others:

St. Louis (7-9)
Seattle (7-9)
Washington (7-9)
Dallas (5-11)
Giants (10-6)

St. Louis Def 23.1 PPG against
Seattle Def 23.1 PPG against
Washington 22.8 PPG against
Dallas 20.6 PPG against
Giants 18.7 PPG against

His numbers weren't even that good playing against the non-playoff teams. He wasn't playing against Juggernaut D's. The Eagles got what they thought they would. A fifth rounder that wouldn't lose them games. But people here on the Fins board apparently think that just because he was traded for a second that he has somehow transformed into a better QB. All of this Feeley talk would have been moot had he been traded for a second day pick.

Some people on here will go fighting to the end of the Earth for Feeley, yet never stick up for Wade Smith or Lamar. Wade was essentially selected with 2 choices (Carey has too, but has shown improvement) when they moved up for him. Gordon was traded for a first day pick, yet nobody here stood up for him and said...."Awww, he got a rough deal last year, he has potential, he should start" But they will talk about how Feeley didnt have a chance, and should somehow just be handed the job.

Let's compare the SB winning QB first 8 games to Feeley's:
This was a SB winning team, so you know they had a better O than feeley.

Opp RESULT GS Att Comp Pct Yds TD Int Rate
New York L 3-10 No 10 5 50.0 46 0 0 62.9 10 - 6
Indianapolis W 44-13 Yes 23 13 56.5 168 0 0 79.6
6 10
@Miami L 10-30 Yes 24 12 50.0 86 0 0 58.7
11 5
San Diego W 29-26 Yes 54 33 61.1 364 2 0 93.4
5 11
@Indy W 38-17 Yes 20 16 80.0 202 3 0 148.3
@Denver L 20-31 Yes 38 25 65.8 203 2 4 57.1
8 8
@Atlanta W 24-10 Yes 31 21 67.7 250 3 0 124.4
7 9
Buffalo W 21-11 Yes 21 15 71.4 107 1 1 78.9
3 13

I'm throwing in St. Louis since that was his next game and the team they beat in the SB.
St. Louis L 17-24 Yes 27 19 70.4 185 1 2 70.8
14 2

So in his first 9 games he went 5-4, AJ on a less talented team went 3-5
The five teams he beat, well what do you know, they were losing teams too. So AJ beat the same kinds of teams that Brady beat starting out. After 9 games a lot of you would be calling for Brady's head too...imagine that.

Stats don't mean anything, as Brady played more he got better..and I suspect the same with AJ at this point.

Trackstar said:
I came across an interesting thought in another thread today.

How well would Feeley perform in another system say New England or Indy?

How well would he perform with a complete supporting cast on offense? Many people think A.J has the raw tools to be an exciting QB. Others think he is just average, a good backup. But consider the progress A.J made at the end of last season. The flashes of "brilliance" so to speak. The New England Game. The T.D pass after dislocating his finger. Does A.J have what it takes to be good or even great if he has the supporting cast, like the one he had in Philly?
Just Imagane him in a different uniform with a great system and team.

More excuses for a pathetic 6th round pick. We hear another one every day. Tomorrow will be no different.

Yoda said:
A great system Philly had....... average numbers on that team AJ put up. A different team with a great system change nothing would.

You are wrong about that. AJs numbers with philly were very similar to McNabbs numbers that year. AJ's comp % was 55.8 and McNabb's was 57.8% that year. Now, you are comparing a top draft pick, who played in the system for 2 years and was in his third year with a QB that had limited action within the system and their numbers were that close. That says a lot. McNabb made the pro bowl that year.

The Eagles had bad WRs, they had an over rated TE, and no commitment to a running game that year. The Eagles do and did have a very good OL that kept AJ clean, and that helped him.

AJ is not a world beater, but he can operate successfully if he has OL protection, and will do a very good job if he has better skill players than the Eagles had that year.

Dudeman said:
yet most Feeley supporters forget this one little thing. All he did was make sure he didn't lose the game.....

case in point....

these were the games he started in Philly in 2002:

St. Louis W
@ Seattle W
Washington W
@ Dallas W
@ Giants L

he threw 0 TDs in the win against St. Louis with a QB rating of 66.1
he threw 2 TDs and a pick against Seattle
he threw 2 TDs and a pick against Washington
he threw 1 TD and 2 picks against Dallas with a rating of 66.9
he threw 0 TDs and a pick against the Giants in the loss

Now people talk about how Feeley did so well. But if you look into it further, he didn't beat anybody good. In all of his starts, he only played 1 playoff team (the Giants) and he lost. The others:

Umm, seeing as I watched all those games live and know the Eagles extremely well, I can tell you that
1) the Eagles skill players sucked.
2) His numbers werent that far off of McNabb's and McNabb made the pro bowl that year.
3) He played well within the system all things considered.
4) Many Eagles fans thought he was a better passer than McNabb.

stats alone do not tell the story. But based on your stats alone judgement, you wouldnt want McNabb on the Dolphins because that year he had a 57.8% comp rating and a 84 QB rating. Are those great numbers? No, but he worked the system well enough to not lose the Eagles games and he beat the teams he was supposed to. McNabb was 2-2 vs teams with winning records, and 5-1 vs teams with losing records that year. Big difference, huh?

chambers84 said:
More excuses for a pathetic 6th round pick. We hear another one every day. Tomorrow will be no different.

Another meaningless post! I see not one, but 10 everyday!

If you don't agree with my topic that's fine, just disagree and state the reasons why you disagree. Offer something to the conversation. I'm not making excuses for anyone! I'm simply looking at the positives and staying optimistic. After this year, we will know whether or not it is worth keeping Feeley.

Is not that AJ didn't have a chance, the whole offence was lost, I really believe that the key to winning in the NFL is not just good to great players but coaching period.
The best team in the league hands down is the Pats you can't argue with their record, but you know that the Fins have had better talent, particularly in the last 3 years yet no results, you could even say that about the Bills.
What's the difference maker, in my opinion it is coaching Bill and his staff have owned the NFL for four years with players that were thought to be done.
If you want to win coaching is the way there is no Cap for coaches salaries so investing in this area imakes alot of sense.
Our OL coach makes $800,000 if he can make this line work how much could we save on a left tackle $4 million a year, think about it.
The Fins will be strong because of coaching and AJ will be better also because he'll have the support he needs.

MDFINFAN said:
Let's compare the SB winning QB first 8 games to Feeley's:
This was a SB winning team, so you know they had a better O than feeley.

Opp RESULT GS Att Comp Pct Yds TD Int Rate
New York L 3-10 No 10 5 50.0 46 0 0 62.9 10 - 6
Indianapolis W 44-13 Yes 23 13 56.5 168 0 0 79.6
6 10
@Miami L 10-30 Yes 24 12 50.0 86 0 0 58.7
11 5
San Diego W 29-26 Yes 54 33 61.1 364 2 0 93.4
5 11
@Indy W 38-17 Yes 20 16 80.0 202 3 0 148.3
@Denver L 20-31 Yes 38 25 65.8 203 2 4 57.1
8 8
@Atlanta W 24-10 Yes 31 21 67.7 250 3 0 124.4
7 9
Buffalo W 21-11 Yes 21 15 71.4 107 1 1 78.9
3 13

I'm throwing in St. Louis since that was his next game and the team they beat in the SB.
St. Louis L 17-24 Yes 27 19 70.4 185 1 2 70.8
14 2

So in his first 9 games he went 5-4, AJ on a less talented team went 3-5
The five teams he beat, well what do you know, they were losing teams too. So AJ beat the same kinds of teams that Brady beat starting out. After 9 games a lot of you would be calling for Brady's head too...imagine that.

Stats don't mean anything, as Brady played more he got better..and I suspect the same with AJ at this point.

Very nice post. I agree, Feeley def has a shot this season to prove how good or bad he is. It's all up to him.

Trackstar said:
Very nice post. I agree, Feeley def has a shot this season to prove how good or bad he is. It's all up to him.
I think Feeley has to prove himself at camp or he'll never see the field unless Gus goes down w/ an injury. If there's anyone who's getting a fair shot, it's Sage. The Guy never had a chance under Wanny.

Justasportsfan said:
I think Feeley has to prove himself at camp or he'll never see the field unless Gus goes down w/ an injury. If there's anyone who's getting a fair shot, it's Sage. The Guy never had a chance under Wanny.

Very true. Sage could easily have A.J's opportunity if we had given up a 2nd round pick to get him.

Trackstar said:
Very true. Sage could easily have A.J's opportunity if we had given up a 2nd round pick to get him.
I'm pretty sure he's getting the same oppurtunity AJ is. I don't think Saban is stupid enough to put stock into what Spielman gave up for AJ. I think Saban will start whoever the best qb is regardless of what went on in the past.

Justasportsfan said:
I'm pretty sure he's getting the same oppurtunity AJ is. I don't think Saban is stupid enough to put stock into what Spielman gave up for AJ. I think Saban will start whoever the best qb is regardless of what went on in the past.

Yes I agree the best man will win the job. But I was speaking more about last season. Even though Sage was just as talented, A.J got to start when Feidler went down. Sage should have gotten more of a shot last year then we would know a little more of what he could do.

Trackstar said:
Yes I agree the best man will win the job. But I was speaking more about last season. Even though Sage was just as talented, A.J got to start when Feidler went down. Sage should have gotten more of a shot last year then we would know a little more of what he could do.
:up: Does Sage have the arm to stretch the field ?

Justasportsfan said:
:up: Does Sage have the arm to stretch the field ?
:chuckle: I wish I had that play on tape. First play of the game, how sweet it is. He's got to show consistency though.

PhiNomina said:
He's not a new QB, he has been in the league for 4-5 years. He isn't a rookie and shouldn't be treated like one. We are the only team I know that would consider our "QB of the future" to be a former 5th? round pick who sat the bench for 3 years and somehow vaulted him to 2nd round value. I hope he plays well because I want to see the team win of course...but at the same time I would rather have used that 2nd on a developmental QB that was younger and had proven more in college.

Ummmm, you make a point except I think you forgot about a guy named Tom Brady......who was taken in the 6th round I believe. Plus he backed up Brian Griese in Michigan....who would've thought? Draft status means nothing.......Feeley is a solid QB.....plus he played a lot of last season banged up. I'm ready to give him one more season.....until I start calling for his head. Plus he had no running game and no O-line (which everyone knows) I say give the guy one more run at it.....thats if he beats out Frerotte, which I think he will.

Back
Top Bottom