Howard expected to Demand Contract be Renegotiated | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard expected to Demand Contract be Renegotiated

It is possible that both sides agreed to revisit th situation after the season. If that's the case, though, what's the point of going public.

Has there been any comment from anyone that actually matters?

Its Armando fishing for clicks. Nobody but "sources" have said this.

His job was accomplished.

His loss would absolutely murder the team's morale, I can assure you. When a player balls out in your system, plays like the best defensive player in the league this year, and you reward him by saying you're too expensive and you don't want to be paid fairly so you're cut/traded?

If you don't take care of your own, the "team first" mentality dies with it.

You're making it sound like that player is being paid pennies. Clearly "X" isn't being paid pennies. Also, this is Flo and Co's team...not X's. You can't run a successful business by being held at ransom by a player, no matter how good that player maybe. Especailly, if your entire philosophy is team ball and next man up.

Don't forget how much of their money is already being spent on the other CB. This team still have other pieces they need to add to take them to that next level and it's going to cost.

Tread carefully!

I’d Trade him, if this is true. We paid this guy coming off multiple surgeries and paid him top 3 at the time. Sell high. Just hate the idea because he is by far our biggest playmaker by a long shot.

Last edited:
I don't think its strong arming. X has never sat out or held out. They have had a functional relationship from day 1 and the deal X got was very team friendly in return for getting paid a year early.

You can look at the deal and tell it needs a touch up.

As i mentioned earlier fair is fair. A "touch up" is fine and should be addressed. Hopefully that's all he and his agent ask for. I do think a warning needs to be issued if he and his agent try to ask for more and that puts other team plans at risk.

I could easily see them saying, " We can't afford to do that and thank you for your services. Good luck!"

His loss would absolutely murder the team's morale, I can assure you. When a player balls out in your system, plays like the best defensive player in the league this year, and you reward him by saying you're too expensive and you don't want to be paid fairly so you're cut/traded?

If you don't take care of your own, the "team first" mentality dies with it.
That's not the binary choice here, though. He is already under contract.

Best corner should get best corner compensation. Not sure why this isn't open and shut and now we're wanting to trade him?

This forum never ceases to amaze. Everybody's a company man.

Absolutely! But it doesn't mean YOU have to compensate them.

The contract was very team friendly and there is no guaranteed money left on the deal.

This is very normal and I fully expect there to be conversations and as long as the deal can keep flexible like it is now they can bump the average and the guarantees up without much issue.

He earned it.
Where does it end though, contracts should just be 1 year ones then depending on their play that year. If every player does this and they will do it if the trend continues why get a hard on for a early, well signed contract (Sieler) when he'll demand more money next year if he plays above what we thought he was. I see both sides but man a contract has to mean something and I am sue X has incentives such post season, pro bowl, interceptions, playing time etc which is the way a player gets that extra bang not to mention guaranteed coin which is usually increased to get a player to sign in the first place.

I hate it for the team but at the end if the day player careers are short. Players have to maximize what they can make.

Its not as if nfl teams don't have the upper hand 99 percent of the time with non guaranteed contracts.

I don't think its strong arming. X has never sat out or held out. They have had a functional relationship from day 1 and the deal X got was very team friendly in return for getting paid a year early.

You can look at the deal and tell it needs a touch up.
Are you his agent by chance?
jk I see what your saying but also see how this can't go on for everybody

Where does it end though, contracts should just be 1 year ones then depending on their play that year. If every player does this and they will do it if the trend continues why get a hard on for a early, well signed contract (Sieler) when he'll demand more money next year if he plays above what we thought he was. I see both sides but man a contract has to mean something and I am sue X has incentives such post season, pro bowl, interceptions, playing time etc which is the way a player gets that extra bang not to mention guaranteed coin which is usually increased to get a player to sign in the first place.

There is a difference between playing above a targeted level and being the bonafide best defensive player in the NFL with a contract that has no guaranteed money and the AAV is also relatively low on it.

Why should it bother anybody if X gets a well deserved bump in salary? He hasn't come out and made a scene like Jalen Ramsey or many other CBs in the past. He hasn't held out . . . nobody has said anything except a bum ass beat writer in Miami who has no more inside sources and wants to stir the pot so he can get his name back in the lights.

We all know the organization isn't going to want the distraction. Miami can find additional cap space if needed to accommodate Howard but it'll set a precedent for other players to follow.

I'm guessing they'll be other teams interested in a Howard trade. Teams apparently were calling Miami about Howard and Needham during camp. I'd bet those same teams will inquire once again.

I'd absolutely love Howard to finish his career in a Dolphins uniform, but not looking forward to a potential offseason distraction. Especially if Armando is correct in what he wrote in his article

Last edited:
Pay him and keep him happy. He deserves a raise, he’s gonna be the NFL defensive MVP for crying out loud.

Back
Top Bottom