Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner

So basically everytime a player has a good season they want a better deal? Does that go the same way when a player regresses? I dont see them willing to take a pay cut then. Does make the contract look worthless when its 1yr into a 5yr deal.

I have been expecting the FO to try and move him at the end of the season anyways, this will only add fuel to that fire. I love X and want him to stay but I think his time with us is close to being over, I just hope Iggy is making the progress they want to see otherwise we'll have to use the first (and it will be at least a first) we get for him for the son of a Miami great.

I think its time to explore all options. When Howard was hurt over the 2 previous seasons and signed his new deal, Miami didn't knock on his door for a refund. Just saying. He got paid inspite of his lingering injury situation. Its not that he wants to renegotiate, it was expected, it's more about the timing with the Covid situation and potential cap ramifications. Bad judgment IMHO. Selfish to be honest.

I think its time to explore all options. When Howard was hurt over the 2 previous seasons and signed his new deal, Miami didn't knock on his door for a refund. Just saying. He got paid inspite of his lingering injury situation. Its not that he wants to renegotiate, it was expected, it's more about the timing with the Covid situation and potential cap ramifications. Bad judgment IMHO. Selfish to be honest.
Great points, I agree. With the cap coming down, he’s very well paid. His injury history can’t be overlooked. Great player but he has years left on that deal. Team made him highest paid corner at the time. He traded security for becoming a UFA earlier. He can ask but I suspect the team will want at least one more great year before acting.

So basically everytime a player has a good season they want a better deal? Does that go the same way when a player regresses? I dont see them willing to take a pay cut then. Does make the contract look worthless when its 1yr into a 5yr deal.

actually yes, players take pay cuts or face the danger of being cut. it happens a lot.

We stuck with this guy when he missed 25% of his games over his first few years, and he got paid....WELL! If dude wants to be a punk and be detrimental to a team trying to get to the next level, have him hold out and not get paid squat or trade his greedy ***!
If you got hurt doing work at your place of business, should they cut off your income while you rehab at home?

You guys are too much lol.

Look, the reality is that X had 10 INT's and this was likely the best season of his career. It's nearly impossible to top that. There is no better time to renegotiate a contract from a player's perspective. Yes, it's the pandemic, but he's up for DPOY, so he's going to strike while the iron is hot. He slipped from the highest paid CB in the NFL, to out of the top 5, and despite his career year, he isn't even the highest paid CB on his team. He's healthy, productive, and is a primary reason why our defense has been dominant and the team has won so many games. This is THE time to renegotiate.

Nobody is surprised he wants to renegotiate. We have cap space, so his agent smells blood in the water. It's a new agent--and X. has changed his agent a lot so clearly he wants more money.

Can we re-sign him? Should we break the bank for him? What is his trade value in this salary cap reduction pandemic time? All very important questions. The higher his demands, the less likely we can re-sign him and the lower his trade value. But ultimately, this is the type of problem the Steelers and Patriots face every year, so we'll just have to deal with it if we start making a habit of 10 win seasons.

IMHO, re-sign X if we can do it without breaking the bank. If that's not possible, see what we can get in a trade. If neither option works ... honor his contract and revisit the issue a year from now. Given X's injury history and how unlikely it is he can repeat a double-digit INT season ... there will almost certainly be a point of better leverage to negotiate this next year. As Igbinoghene proved ... simply replacing a 2nd round pick (Xavien Howard) with a 1st round pick (Noah Igbinoghene) is not a win. Production is hard to find in the NFL, and takeaways are worth their weight in gold ... and both X and his agent know it.

Great post!

Renegotiate? He just got a new contract last year.
Yep, but that's the deal. He's now slipped outside of the top 5 CB's and he's up for DPOY. So, he's going to renegotiate ... that's just the nature of the game.

We just paid Jordan Howard $5 million to do just about as much as I did for the Dolphins on the field this year and you guys are worried about raising the best player on our team's salary by only a portion of that?

All Hail the Billionaires!

Can't blame him for wanting to be paid more than a teammate at the same position who is nothing close to his level.

I'd trade Jones and pay Howard, personally. Would take a day 2 pick for Jones in a heartbeat. No playmaking ability and gets TORCHED every time he's facing speed. Not a fan at all.

Incoming "trade his ***" posts by a bunch of company men who have probably sacrificed their own careers numerous times throughout their lives by not demanding what they're worth.

He played like the best corner in the league and could legitimately win DPoY. Pay him. It's only a few million more and move on.

He was payed to play that well. What other players make is none of his damn business!

He was payed to play that well. What other players make is none of his damn business!
Actually, it's all of his business. It's called demanding market worth and it's something all of you should be doing at your own jobs.

Actually, it's all of his business. It's called demanding market worth and it's something all of you should be doing at your own jobs.

Yup.

Know your worth in whatever it is that you do, and don't settle for anything less.

He just had a DPOY season. The corner on the team on the opposite side is making more money with above average/inconsistent play.

Back
Top Bottom