Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner

If you got hurt doing work at your place of business, should they cut off your income while you rehab at home?

You guys are too much lol.
Are you really trying to compare an NFL job with a normal job? Not even remotely the same. As I stated, he got paid well. He is not getting cutoff, unless he decides to be greedy. If he is that type of player, get what you can for him now or you will be dealing with this crap his whole career. We can reapproach looking at an extension when his current contract he JUST signed is a year or two from completion. We already have a huge part of our cap in our corners...this TEAM does not need more. We need playmakers and to make the team stronger, not one rich guy richer.

Sorry to say this but when you are one of the best players in the franchise, and your franchise cannot replace you then this is what happens. We can replace Xavier Howard, but we can't replace him with a player like him. And the Dolphins are not good enough to be dealing out their best players. But this sport is a business so I don't blame him. We need to keep him regardless, and we need to draft a defensive back in this draft early if we can.

Are you really trying to compare an NFL job with a normal job? Not even remotely the same. As I stated, he got paid well. He is not getting cutoff, unless he decides to be greedy. If he is that type of player, get what you can for him now or you will be dealing with this crap his whole career. We can reapproach looking at an extension when his current contract he JUST signed is a year or two from completion. We already have a huge part of our cap in our corners...this TEAM does not need more. We need playmakers and to make the team stronger, not one rich guy richer.
So if Tua turned out to be the best QB in the league and wanted the biggest contract, you'd trade him?

Do you guys even hear yourselves? Do you know what kind of precedent you're setting by admitting that if one of your players plays really well that you won't reward him because "Haha! We've got you for cheap, sucker"?

There's so much low hanging dead money at the bottom/middle of this roster that you're really this worried about paying him WHAT HE'S WORTH?

This isn't about hurting the team and I don't really want to get into the sociological reasons for this kind of anger.

Again, he just had the best season that an NFL DB has had since 2007. He has a player on his team that plays the same position as him and makes more money. It doesn't matter what his career is. In any career, that is an uncomfortable situation that calls for a raise or a new employer.

If you and I have the same position, I started years before you, and I'm outperforming you by a landslide.... No way I'm accepting less pay.

Trade Jones. Way easier to replace. He's an above average corner who only locks down slow possession receivers.

Actually, it's all of his business. It's called demanding market worth and it's something all of you should be doing at your own jobs.

That's fine, but the player assumes the risk of being traded and that may not get him what he really wants.

If it's recognition for great play then we should see everyone on one year contracts. there is risk both ways on a long term football contract. If a player has a great year, then he could get a better contract the next year on a one year contract. If it is a long term contract and the players game falls off, then the owners get screwed.

The knife cuts both ways. By getting and honoring a long term contract the player gets a form of monetary insurance and the owner gets a form of performance insurance. Once a player tries to renegotiate they may be unpleasantly surprised at the outcome. Tough ****, it was their call and they can reap the rewards or losses of their decision.

At the income levels in the NFL, I have little sympathy for the players attempts at "price gouging". You wouldn't accept that at the gas pumps so why support it in the sports arenas of the NFL?

Can the team afford to have 2 of the highest paid Corners in the NFL?

Sorry to say this but when you are one of the best players in the franchise, and your franchise cannot replace you then this is what happens. We can replace Xavier Howard, but we can't replace him with a player like him. And the Dolphins are not good enough to be dealing out their best players. But this sport is a business so I don't blame him. We need to keep him regardless, and we need to draft a defensive back in this draft early if we can.

I disagree.

seriously he play what 18 games into a 80 games-ishh contract

That's fine, but the player assumes the risk of being traded and that may not get him what he really wants.

If it's recognition for great play then we should see everyone on one year contracts. there is risk both ways on a long term football contract. If a player has a great year, then he could get a better contract the next year on a one year contract. If it is a long term contract and the players game falls off, then the owners get screwed.

The knife cuts both ways. By getting and honoring a long term contract the player gets a form of monetary insurance and the owner gets a form of performance insurance. Once a player tries to renegotiate they may be unpleasantly surprised at the outcome. Tough ****, it was their call and they can reap the rewards or losses of their decision.

At the income levels in the NFL, I have little sympathy for the players attempts at "price gouging". You wouldn't accept that at the gas pumps so why support it in the sports arenas of the NFL?
Remember when Landry wanted "too much money" and we traded him for Smythe and Gaskin?

Be careful what you wish for.

So if Tua turned out to be the best QB in the league and wanted the biggest contract, you'd trade him?

Do you guys even hear yourselves? Do you know what kind of precedent you're setting by admitting that if one of your players plays really well that you won't reward him because "Haha! We've got you for cheap, sucker"?

There's so much low hanging dead money at the bottom/middle of this roster that you're really this worried about paying him WHAT HE'S WORTH?

This isn't about hurting the team and I don't really want to get into the sociological reasons for this kind of anger.
Tua did not just get one of the highest paid contracts at his position, Howard did. I guess Mahomes should now ask for 600 million eh? It is not like he was just handed peanuts on the contract. Great players who are team take fair deals (which he has) and leave money on the table to sign other players to make the team better.

Can the team afford to have 2 of the highest paid Corners in the NFL?

I'd rather not.

Trade Jones and use that pick on a CB to develop/compete with Noah, who better make some huge strides this off-season.

I legitimately feel like this wouldn't be as big of an issue for Howard if Jones wasn't being paid more than him. In the current situation I completely get it. He's being paid less than a guy in the same position as him that he outperforms in every aspect.

Tua did not just get one of the highest paid contracts at his position, Howard did. I guess Mahomes should now ask for 600 million eh? It is not like he was just handed peanuts on the contract. Great players who are team take fair deals (which he has) and leave money on the table to sign other players to make the team better.
You live in a sports fantasy world where guys should take less than they're worth to make fans happier.

Ain't reality, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom