Howard: "likes" image of himself in Cowboys Uniform | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard: "likes" image of himself in Cowboys Uniform

I honestly think the players an coaches know how this game is played. They know in negotiating players and gms bluff and posture right up til the last minute. In the next few days or weeks one side will fold, Howard will either be traded, signed to a new deal or report to camp on the old deal. With the exception of some fans this will be in the rear view mirror and a thing of the past. The losing side will of course bring it up again next time they're at the negotiating table.
Those are the three options. It isn't as complicated as some are making it.

Given those 3 options, why would the Dolphins opt to give him a new deal? For that matter, why would they trade him for peanuts?

From the Phins perspective, I could see a restructure, moving money from year 4 or 5, giving him a bump, and partial gaurantee for next year if that would make him happy, but thats about it.

As others have pointed out, that would cut his agent out of his percentage, but I don't care about that.

The chances of Howard holding out very long, in the face of fines, lost game checks, and repayment of up front money are remote. X could really never come out ahead financially.

Last edited:
A big part of the situation is he isn't paying his agent. His agent needs to get the team to sign him to a new deal to get a % of that deal. As it stands Howard is on his previous ndeal and his prior agent gets a % of that deal.

We wouldn't get any money, just like right now - LOL

I'm worried he suffers some type of significant injury that requires off season rehab. In that case the team would likely cut him and if they tried to trade him coming off a major injury I don't think they would get half of what they could get now coming off his great 2020 season.

When you say he doesn't have a great trade value that is debatable I believe. If he goes on the market I think some offers will include a 1st rd pick
That seems like odd reasoning to say give him gauranteed money on one hand, then say you are worried about injury on the other.

I believe if Grier can get a 1st plus at this point, he pulls the trigger. For all we know, such a deal may be already in place, and he is just waiting to see if a better offer comes along. There is also a valid question of how many teams are in a position to absorb his cap hit though.

If it were any other position, I would say time is running short, but X doesn't really need a full TC. He can step in to any scheme and be effective.

That seems like odd reasoning to say give him gauranteed money on one hand, then say you are worried about injury on the other.

I believe if Grier can get a 1st plus at this point, he pulls the trigger. For all we know, such a deal may be already in place, and he is just waiting to see if a better offer comes along. There is also a valid question of how many teams are in a position to absorb his cap hit though.

If it were any other position, I would say time is running short, but X doesn't really need a full TC. He can step in to any scheme and be effective.
I'm not onboard with giving him more money per se, maybe a slight increase in the form of a performance bonus. I'm more in the boat of guaranteeing the $$$ he's already scheduled to make in 2022. This just locks Howard on the roster for 2021 and 2022 and he doesn't have to worry about being out of $12 or $13 million next summer. From a player's perspective I think they hate playing a season where they know the following season has a great deal of financial uncertainty and the $12 million that fans think the player is scheduled to recieve in 2022 could voided if the team sees fit. You always hear players say only look at the guaranteed portion of the contract, the rest can't be counted on and is often not paid out.

Xavien is from Texas and played for Baylor, I can understand his desire to play for Dallas.
Trade him to the Houston Texans. There's always the possibility that Houston will overpay (cough) again.

Last edited:
It really makes me wonder how the ppl that want to give the player a new, long term gauranteed deal justify their position in their minds. Then there are those that believe he is worth 2 firsts, or more in a trade.

I don't know if it's wishful thinking, not having a grasp of the situation, or just plain delusional.
Yeah, I was a wishful thinker.

But I was hoping more a draft day trade when I feel his value might have been worth more to a team missing out on their player.

Now I have lessened my expectations.

Yeah, I was a wishful thinker.

But I was hoping more a draft day trade when I feel his value might have been worth more to a team missing out on their player.

Now I have lessened my expectations.
On draft day, he probably would have brought more. At that point, he wasn't asking for a new deal, or else, and threatening a holdout.

Those things, like it or not, agree with the reality or not, make a big difference in percieved value to other organizations.

On draft day, he probably would have brought more. At that point, he wasn't asking for a new deal, or else, and threatening a holdout.

Those things, like it or not, agree with the reality or not, make a big difference in percieved value to other organizations.
Exactly.

It's a shame really.

But I still am holding out hope for a Mccoy or Kamara trade. I will take either over a couple picks personally.

I'm worried he suffers some type of significant injury that requires off season rehab. In that case the team would likely cut him and if they tried to trade him coming off a major injury I don't think they would get half of what they could get now coming off his great 2020 season.

When you say he doesn't have a great trade value that is debatable I believe. If he goes on the market I think some offers will include a 1st rd pick.

I agree he has little to no leverage, but some times these situations turn around and bite the party that appeared to have won the negotiating battle.
Maybe…but the Dolphins are on solid ground because they just made him the highest paid corner in the game on his current contract, and had the foresight to draft a young corner in round 1 with huge potential.

I think they are playing this correctly with Howard’s history and concerns.

I suspect they have plenty of nothing to talk about, just like us - haha

Talking about "X" is plenty of nothing - get it - LOL

Don't disagree. My interest is, with little for any topics for a team's fan base to discuss, AND with numerous media streams linkinging X and various teams, I'd expect at least a moderate amount of chatter. Every NFL fan base contains people who have emotional reactions to this type of rumor - just like FH.

Back
Top Bottom