Howard's cryptic tweet | Page 30 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard's cryptic tweet

Yes. I'll assume no one here has worked to develop skills that are worth 10+ million dollars a year. Seems like a safe assumption.
The value of a person discussion maybe a little over your head -

Attachments

• 17E75256-3269-4BEC-BA62-CD502B0602EE.png
    17E75256-3269-4BEC-BA62-CD502B0602EE.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 18
Yes... not on rookie contracts.
I've been pondering this. Is it possible the reason is that guys on rookie contract had no choice in where they have to play, or for that matter no ability to negotiate the contract, as it is a "slotted" system for rookie deals?

If that is the case, it's likely a matter of legality, more than anything else.

Last edited:
I've been pondering this. Is it possible the reason is that guys on rookie contract had no choince in where they have to play, or for that matter no ability to negotiate the contract, as it is a "slotted" system for rookie deals?

Absolutely agree.

The value of a person discussion maybe a little over your head -
That we're talking about value in terms of compensation for labor and difficulty of replacement for an employer may have gone over your head.

I've been pondering this. Is it possible the reason is that guys on rookie contract had no choice in where they have to play, or for that matter no ability to negotiate the contract, as it is a "slotted" system for rookie deals?

Because of damn unions. Players already in the league voted for what happens to players not in the league yet. Go figure they voted to carve out more money for themselves, haha. The guys that got "slotted" never got to vote on that, lol.

Sports is a unique industry for many reasons, but unions play a huge part. Things like drafts, salary caps, rookie wage scales, max contracts, etc. would be illegal/anti-trust violations elsewhere.

Because of damn unions. Players already in the league voted for what happens to players not in the league yet. Go figure they voted to carve out more money for themselves, haha. The guys that got "slotted" never got to vote on that, lol.

Sports is a unique industry for many reasons, but unions play a huge part. Things like drafts, salary caps, rookie wage scales, max contracts, etc. would be illegal/anti-trust violations elsewhere.
Individuals in every union vote on issues which affect them at the moment and don’t always take into consideration how the present contract might affect future employees. There are many unions which have ensured that present members are paid higher salaries than future employees by agreeing to two tier compensation for older and newer employees.

So the NFL union looking out for their present players over future players really isn’t much different than unions throughout the country.

In general, yes, current members (true of any union) look out for their current member's interests.

I really doubt that is the reason in this specific case.

First, how does a rookie player paying fines, or not, affect the status quo to any appreciable degree?

Second, the more I think about it, the more I think it's a contract law issue, and one that would definately be challenged in court.

Third, this rule is to the advantage of the young player, not the vested veteran, so your statement makes no sense, relative to this issue.

Fair enough.

I am under the belief X is an elite corner and the best in the game at making turnovers.

X just turned 28 and is healthy.

I don’t think leading the league two of the last three years in interceptions was by accident. I don’t see him declining this year or next if he is healthy and has a good attitude.

I also think Miami is in a great position to make noise this year. If Miami were to trade him for a 1st of 2nd round pick, would that player make a difference before 2024, if at all?

All along my position has been that Miami is better off in the long run trading Howard if the only option to keep him sets a bad precedent moving forward.

My response tonight was after reading what appears were many posters who seem to take it personally and Howard is just screwing himself.

I don’t disagree that X maybe screwing himself, but the Dolphins also lose out in this scenario. Miami is a better team with X. If he maintains his level of play, a much better team.

I am someone that doesn’t take it personally when players want to get paid more. I don’t like it when they hold out and force the issue, but I don’t take it personally.

I still see posters that hate Ricky Williams for retiring the first time and Saban going to Alabama as if it was done personally to them. Seems silly to me, but whatever, I am not the one living the last 15 years with resentments covering up rejection.
anyway you look at it blackmailing the team at this point. If these just trying for the renegotiation and intends to play through, then I support him in renegotiating next year. It's ridiculous that this part of his contract to be worrying about being the number one paid cornerback. The only way I would fold to him now, is if we have the same leverage if he gets hurt or plays poorly. This one-way crap is for the birds

One thing that the NFL union got that no other unions have not managed to get is a fixed percentage of the gross, and that is HUGE.

Most unions fight to get a raise, but in many cases, they get a nickel, and the owners get millions... the NFL Players Association fought for a true share of the pie, and that is the most valuable thing that they could have received. The salary cap is based upon the actual revenues of the league, and if the owners make money, the players make money.
Then they negotiated to make sure that rookies no longer received the ridiculous contracts they received back in the era where a first drafted QB would immediately be in the top 5, without ever throwing a pass.
They fought for a better pension system and higher minimum pay... they spread the wealth. This union is clearly the best of the sports unions... unless you are in the top 1% of the league... then you probably make less-- which is what the players wanted.

anyway you look at it blackmailing the team at this point. If these just trying for the renegotiation and intends to play through, then I support him in renegotiating next year. It's ridiculous that this part of his contract to be worrying about being the number one paid cornerback. The only way I would fold to him now, is if we have the same leverage if he gets hurt or plays poorly. This one-way crap is for the birds
Blackmailing? LMAO. An employee is asking an employer for a raise. People are only upset because it may affect their rooting interest in a sports team. This is his livelihood. Employees ask for raises all the time. It's not blackmail.

Blackmailing? LMAO. An employee is asking an employer for a raise. People are only upset because it may affect their rooting interest in a sports team. This is his livelihood. Employees ask for raises all the time. It's not blackmail.
not when you're threatening your employer, like threatening not to play or show up the practice. No, I'm upset because he signed a contract(5 years) and is trying to negotiate through force on only the second year of that contract. no, I'm upset with the way X decided to deal with this. Miami has lived up to their side, but I'm not seeing that from his. Now I'll be corrected if he shows up and gives his all, then I will fully support him next year if he wishes to renegotiate. I don't appreciate his negativity after basically three years of seeing none of that from anyone on the team. Before three years ago… Well, that team was a mess for a reason. Selfishness

We drafted Iggy because we KNEW this day was coming. Yes, there was no guarantee that it would work, but it was the play.

The part that surprised us was that X used this play to motivate himself to play to his actual potential. He motivates himself through anger, selfishness, and vengeance. Sad, but that's what he is. Aaron Rodgers is the same way, and there is a reason that so few people like these men.

Now, we're at a crossroads... we'd like to have X for one more year, but he just threw down a HUGE season, followed by a tantrum. Given what I've seen of him, I would guess that if we trade him, and if he can remain healthy... he'll tear it up for his new team just out of spite. He'll show us! Just like his recent Tweet insinuated...

He's a dark soul.
That what makes athletes or anybody great motivation.

Back
Top Bottom