Howard's cryptic tweet | Page 31 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard's cryptic tweet

Yes. I'll assume no one here has worked to develop skills that are worth 10+ million dollars a year. Seems like a safe assumption.
he was born with gifts as all professional athletes are. Being in the right place, working hard at his profession, fortunate enough to have good coaching. These are things we all benefit from, but good luck if you're not gifted. Even gifted athletes get overlooked if "daddy" isn't looking out for you.

I remember Dave Hyde saying we should trade X two drafts ago for extra draft picks because his prime doesn't line up with the tank plan timeline. We'll get a sense of how the Dolphins view their chances in 2021 by how they handle X.

I don't blame X for holding out for a new deal already. Grier has been cutthroat on everybody from 1 year rentals to Bobby McCain. Same with Flores and his staff turnover. The Dolphins preach "team" but have shown zero loyalty to players and coaches. It catches up with you eventually and sentiments can turn quickly if their record goes backwards this year.

I remember Dave Hyde saying we should trade X two drafts ago for extra draft picks because his prime doesn't line up with the tank plan timeline. We'll get a sense of how the Dolphins view their chances in 2021 by how they handle X.

I don't blame X for holding out for a new deal already. Grier has been cutthroat on everybody from 1 year rentals to Bobby McCain. Same with Flores and his staff turnover. The Dolphins preach "team" but have shown zero loyalty to players and coaches. It catches up with you eventually and sentiments can turn quickly if their record goes backwards this year.
I'm sorry dude, but if you want a winner you're not going see much in team loyalty. Especially if they're following those who shall not be named up north''s philosophies

The majority of this sight,

Players need to be 100% loyal to team.

Teams need to be.....ehhhhhhh whatever is right for the team.

I believe you mean "site", but in any case there are some who take the team's side, regardless of the issue.

Personally, I try to take things on an issue by issue basis.

I don't believe there is really any loyalty on either side, unless it is mutually benificial.

I believe you mean "site", but in any case there are some who take the team's side, regardless of the issue.

Personally, I try to take things on an issue by issue basis.

I don't believe there is really any loyalty on either side, unless it is mutually benificial.
You are the auto correct police with me lol

It's just buidness. We'll probably throw him a few extra bucks (millions) to STFU which is all I think he really wants. He's worth more to us than anyone else since we're the only team in the league that wouldn't have to trade AND pay for him. We need X to compete at a high level, I don't trust Igbo or Jones to be that #1 corner our D needs...and we're a defensive football team. If Byron doesn't pick up his play he's gonna be gone before you know it.

Last edited:

I've read most of the posts and the majority aren't saying that at all. The reasons for reworking his contract seem to follow these reasons:
*He signed a contract 2 years ago making him one of, if not thee highest paid corners. Miami stuck with him through seriously inconsistent play and injuries. He has a great year and wants more money. Why didn't Miami ask for most of his salary back in 2019 when he only played in 5 games?
* He is inconsistent with a poor injury history.
* He is 28 now with injury history. Signing a new deal now for say 3 years puts him at 31. 31 is old for CBs. Let alone a CB that has such an inconsistent history.

I think the above sums up the majority thought process. And, it's probably the reason he hasn't been traded yet. I seriously doubt teams are beating down our door to trade a 1st round pick as well as needing to pay top dollar for an inconsistent, 28 year old CB.

I've read most of the posts and the majority aren't saying that at all. The reasons for reworking his contract seem to follow these reasons:
*He signed a contract 2 years ago making him one of, if not thee highest paid corners. Miami stuck with him through seriously inconsistent play and injuries. He has a great year and wants more money. Why didn't Miami ask for most of his salary back in 2019 when he only played in 5 games?
* He is inconsistent with a poor injury history.
* He is 28 now with injury history. Signing a new deal now for say 3 years puts him at 31. 31 is old for CBs. Let alone a CB that has such an inconsistent history.

I think the above sums up the majority thought process. And, it's probably the reason he hasn't been traded yet. I seriously doubt teams are beating down our door to trade a 1st round pick as well as needing to pay top dollar for an inconsistent, 28 year old CB.
I think he's desired but not for a high one, maybe not even a one at all. But hey, I'm sure we'd like him to stay but no way I would give him an extended top three contract with his history, no way. Incentive laden so if he plays a lot and well let him break the bank but guaranteed I doubt it.

It's just buidness. We'll probably throw him a few extra bucks (millions) to STFU which is all I think he really wants. He's worth more to us than anyone else since we're the only team in the league that wouldn't have to trade AND pay for him. We need X to compete at a high level, I don't trust Igbo or Jones to be that #1 corner our D needs...and we're a defensive football team. If Byron doesn't pick up his play he's gonna be gone before you know it.
Spot on.

Jones is an imminent cap casualty along with most of that free agency class.

Throw X a bone and make him higher paid then Jones. Ditch Jones after we are through most of his dead cap.

They should have done this ahead of time but X has had some baggage.

Spot on.

Jones is an imminent cap casualty along with most of that free agency class.

Throw X a bone and make him higher paid then Jones. Ditch Jones after we are through most of his dead cap.

They should have done this ahead of time but X has had some baggage.
Not attacking you but want to clarify; you're ok with paying a 28 year old, inconsistent player with only 2 full seasons played over 5 years the same money given to 23 year old corners with amazing consistencey?

Not attacking you but want to clarify; you're ok with paying a 28 year old, inconsistent player with only 2 full seasons played over 5 years the same money given to 23 year old corners with amazing consistencey?
Byron Jones is 28 years old.

Xavien Howard has the best ball skills I have ever seen out of the CB position in Aqua and Orange (Madison close 2nd).

Byron Jones is allergic to intercepting the ball. His two picks last year were welcomed but won't be a regularity.

Yes, is the answer.

he was born with gifts as all professional athletes are. Being in the right place, working hard at his profession, fortunate enough to have good coaching. These are things we all benefit from, but good luck if you're not gifted. Even gifted athletes get overlooked if "daddy" isn't looking out for you.
I met Xavien Howard twice in his very early days as a Dolphin, just after being drafted. He was friendly - not too articulate or polished but down to earth - we got on well and what really struck me on both occasions was his terrific desire to succeed in the NFL to be the best cornerback. I haven't met too many players and I guess that they are all pretty confident but on both occasions I walked away thinking that this guy was aiming really high and his total certainty in his ability was rock solid. I even wrote something here on FH that I loved his self confidence and he could be good. Ikema you refer to his gifts. His talent on the field is self evident but his other really special gift was his mental preparedness.

You guys are missing the point of his hold out entirly.... your debates about contracts and who's accountable are a total waste of energy. Let me fill you in!

It is NOT about money!

Its about the signing of Jones to a bigger deal and the drafting of Iggy.

X's feelings are hurt, he hates Grier and prob Flores and wants to be traded. His contract is just an excuse to get away from the Dolphins.

All of you who love him don't realize he wants nothing to do with your favorite team.

It's Minka all over again.

Byron Jones is 28 years old.

Xavien Howard has the best ball skills I have ever seen out of the CB position in Aqua and Orange (Madison close 2nd).

Byron Jones is allergic to intercepting the ball. His two picks last year were welcomed but won't be a regularity.

Yes, is the answer.
Then there isn't much reason to continue discussion is there? And yet, you remain. Do you seek to change our minds to match your own? Or, is endless arguing your cup of tea?

Back
Top Bottom