Huge rumor to follow.... | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Huge rumor to follow....

Yes, because Ross has consistently shown during his time as owner of the Dolphins that he still follows the old General Motors school of management, which was what was taught when he went through business school.

What decade are we talking about? That GM school of management that produced the vehicles of the late 70s and 80s. I guess I see similarities to
the fins ....

I don’t know if he’s ever gonna reach beli territory but if we fire him we gonna look like idiots. That dude knows offense.

It would be a massive mistake

He know bubble screens, Cutler and JT. Offense, not so much.

Yeah I just read the entire Wickersham article. Interesting stuff, I'd love to see NE crash and burn.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/pag...-brady-bill-belichick-internal-power-struggle

In case anyone is interested.

That’s an excellent read. A part of me wonders if it’s brought on by garrops 5 games in San Fran results. I sure would like to see the tape of those 5 games

It doesn’t come across as far fetched. But the X factor for this postseason is gronk and when he’s healthy I don’t know what you are suppose to do with him.

People who cheat on their spouses -- men and women -- are scumbags.

Yeah that was when I realized that my childhood hero Marino wasn’t what i thought he was.

Larry bird was also a childhood hero of mine and I believe he did that also

It was a gut check. That’s one cross I don’t have to carry

What decade are we talking about? That GM school of management that produced the vehicles of the late 70s and 80s. I guess I see similarities to
the fins ....

We're talking about the GM of the 1940s, which was the most successful corporation in the world. The "GM Method" was taught in business schools (and specifically at Michigan business school) at the time that Ross was a student there. If you're really interested I guess I could talk about it some more again, but the GM method promotes the idea of splintering your company into different groups or departments for a variety of reasons. One of the key reasons for that sort of compartmentalization of everything into its own little world is that it's also a strategy for resolving personality conflicts and retaining quality human resources when people have essentially failed in one job, but still have value in another.

Remember the whole blowup between Jeff Ireland and Joe Philbin? That's why Steve Ross wanted to move Jeff Ireland to a new job title inside the Dolphins. Because that's how he was trained in business; you have a guy who is really good at some aspects of his job, but overall his performance isn't great and he's feuding with someone he has to deal with every day. How do you resolve this? Jack Welch says "Fire his ass." GM School says "Give him a new job title, in a different office, where he interacts with different people."

Thanks, I wasn't familiar with your previous posts or thinking back that far in GM's history. That / Ross' Approach matches up quite well with the peter principle.

Thanks, I wasn't familiar with your previous posts or thinking back that far in GM's history. That / Ross' Approach matches up quite well with the peter principle.

Yep. And Ross has lived up to that to the tune of a BILLION or so in personal wealth. I hope to be 1/2 the failure he is one day

I’d say this is correct by the way. He went to the playoffs his first year he lost his qb his entire 2nd year he would get 2018 and 2019 before miami did anything with a coach.

And he’d deserve it. I’d tell you tanny stays healthy there won’t be any more 6 and 10s but the vultures would circle

If Tannehill can't play next season i think he would get canned for not having a back up plan. That would be 3 seasons lost because of his knee.

No way can I see that happening unless BB wants to play the Patriots twice a year.

Wouldn't that be the perfect reason to come here? To stick it to your old team who you're reportedly feeling burned by? Don't get me wrong though I think there's about a 0.1% chance of that actually happening

Like I said I personally believe there's about a 0.1% chance of this happening. However, if it did, as much as I've hated the guy for 15 years, I'd give him basically full control of this team. Coach, GM, whatever he wanted to be.

I don't really know what you mean when you say it matches up well with the Peter Principle. All I'm really saying here is that one of the most enduring things those old guys were taught is that people are valuable parts of your company. This was the old school that said the company should actually value its employees in return for their loyalty. The "Pension and a Gold Watch" type of deal.

That's all I'm getting at here. The team's owner is from that very old generation of businessmen who were taught not to fire guys just because they think maybe they can find a better fit out there. Whether or not you like that or think it's a good way to run a football team (we've certainly had less than great results), that's just kind of where he's from. It just doesn't fit with that mentality to go and fire Adam Gase right now.

Personally, I miss those old guys. Boomers tend to subscribe to the Jack Welch / QPR management theory, which more often than not results in disaster. Yeah, we're going to fire the bottom 10% every quarter. There's no way people with families to feed are going to cut insane corners or falsify anything in order to survive the looming specter of unemployment every three months.

So even as the Dolphins have struggled under Ross, I do appreciate that we've got one of those old school guys -- old school in really the best, most humane sense -- at the top of the Dolphins right now. I just hope his man Gase can get the results, too.

I liked the article but it was mostly back end gossip in an organization that has been impeccable where it matters most, on the field.

Beli at the very least has another year or two in NE and frankly I’m not so certain he coaches after he leaves. Even so do I really want the back-side of a career hungover with an absolutely unmatchable, epic run of success? Sounds like imminent disappointment to the winner of that sweepstakes. Hard to say no to a guy with his resume but it feels like he’d just be moonlighting his way into retirement with whichever team he lands with.

We need to find our own Beli, or at the very least a comparable coach who can ascend into greatness with our franchise. I’m not losing hope that Gase is our guy, and I think anyone that is has drastically underestimated both what he’s done and how difficult it is to win in the NFL with anything less than elite QB play or elite defense.

Back
Top Bottom