Hyde5: Here's The Realistic Dolphins Qb Option In Nfl Draft — And He's Drawn Comparisons To Aaron Ro | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde5: Here's The Realistic Dolphins Qb Option In Nfl Draft — And He's Drawn Comparisons To Aaron Ro

If that’s true, he will go top 5. I would venture a guess that NFL teams have a different view on him than these writers. I don’t know how good he is going to be, but I find it odd that the teams themselves seem much less bullish on him.
How much did hear about Mahomes? Not much difference!

Teams don’t usually tip their hands....But I know what I saw!

No one knew Mahomes was going to be as good as he was, otherwise he would have gone first overall. The draft is a crapshoot, honestly. But if Lock is the next Mahomes, he isn’t lasting halfway into round one.

I agree... I think we have to move up to 8 or 9.

Its all nothing but a crap shoot. How far did Aaron Rodgers drop? How many teams passed on him? How many of those teams would have if they knew what he'd be.

If they pick up Lock at 13 something’s breaking in my house, I don’t know what it’ll be, but something will definitely be thrown across the room at something or someone else......

The Miami Dolphins select Ted Ginn, Jr.

If they pick up Lock at 13 something’s breaking in my house, I don’t know what it’ll be, but something will definitely be thrown across the room at something or someone else......

I really hope you don't have a small child in your home should they select Lock.

giphy.gif

Mahomes had quicker feet and threw with much better anticipation than Lock. While I wouldn't say he was or is particularly accurate, he was more accurate than Lock.

If Lock ended up with Andy Reid, it'd obviously improve his odds, as Reid always puts QB's in favorable situations - and has only improved the more time he's spent in the league. Look at Alex Smith before and after Reid. He went from really bad to serviceable under Harbaugh, and in 2017, he was (statistically) the best deep-ball thrower in the league. In 2018, before his injury, he was barely serviceable again. With the exception of 2012, where he started 9 games, every one of his best seasons saw Reid calling plays.

Probably the hardest thing to project is a QB's ability to read an NFL Defense. NFL teams have the advantage of white-board work during interviews, but that's still very different than doing it in a game. This is the area where Mahomes was most underrated entering the league. He's very, very sharp, and I don't know how any of us could project the same for Lock. In fact, he appears to process information slowly. To be clear, this is different from instincts vs pressure or when the play breaks down. Mahomes struggled in this area at Texas Tech, and he did in 2018, as well.

So, overall, Lock is not as sharp or dynamic as Mahomes, and he won't have Andy Reid calling his plays, developing him, or designing his offense. Outside of both having big arms and throwing nice deep balls (Lock definitely does this well - his best trait), I don't see the similarities.

Compared to this year's NFL quarterbacks:

Lock is not a better prospect than: Mahomes, Roethlisberger, Luck, Goff, Wilson, Rivers.

It's a preference call between Lock and: Watson, Mayfield

Lock is a better prospect than the rest. and so are Murray and Haskins:
Matt Ryan, Fitzmagic, Cousins, Newton, Rodgers, Wentz, Trubisky, Winston, Prescott, Dalton, Mullens, Bethard, Garoppolo, Osweiler, Tannehill, Manning, Flacco, Jackson, Carr, Stafford, Allen, Smith, Keenum, Darnold, Mariota, Rosen, Bortles, Brees, Brady.

No one knew Mahomes was going to be as good as he was, otherwise he would have gone first overall. The draft is a crapshoot, honestly. But if Lock is the next Mahomes, he isn’t lasting halfway into round one.

Predraft on Mahomes, only because you said “no’one knew”

“continuing to spend time on Mahomes because of some of the concerns that were brought up..

“There is a huge difference between a hitch and just lazy mechanics..As you watch this kid this past year you see his elbow drop real low where he's basically creating almost a hitch, but, you also see him at times correct it, raise the elbow and bam, pure accuracy created as a result.”

“my point is, its coachable, its not like trying to recreate a swing..”

“I think the kid knew he was going pro, and, I think the game comes so easy for him he just thinks he can get the ball there however the hell he wants..”

“Man, do I wonder because of his buddy coach at Texas tech, how much Gase would like to get his hands on this dude..what a player..The natural way he plays the game, how comfortable he is during operation is very impressive.”

“an incredible nuance he has, is how he uses the threat of him running just to draw the defenders to him to create space in the secondary, then in an instant, just play them like fools and throw it to the spot where they vacated, lol.

head fakes, shoulder deeks, pump fakes, unreal.

“The one thing I believe folks are not thinking through is that he has been programmed to just let it go, just be the ultimate gunslinger and live with any consequences, when he reaches this level they will teach him to take care of the football better and not make as many dangerous throws, and when he learns that, how to manage the game with his skill set, he will be unstoppable.

“I would take him #1 if I was a team needing a QB”

“special football player..”

I've been watching pro football since 1989. All the great QB's I've seen have 2 things in common: accuracy and a quick release. Lock has both which means he has potential.

All the great QB's I've seen have 2 things in common: accuracy and a quick release
I think what all great QBs have is the ability to process football information efficiently incredibly fast. This is hard to evaluate in college, defenses dont challenge the QBs nearly as much as in the pros.

Predraft on Mahomes, only because you said “no’one knew”

“continuing to spend time on Mahomes because of some of the concerns that were brought up..

“There is a huge difference between a hitch and just lazy mechanics..As you watch this kid this past year you see his elbow drop real low where he's basically creating almost a hitch, but, you also see him at times correct it, raise the elbow and bam, pure accuracy created as a result.”

“my point is, its coachable, its not like trying to recreate a swing..”

“I think the kid knew he was going pro, and, I think the game comes so easy for him he just thinks he can get the ball there however the hell he wants..”

“Man, do I wonder because of his buddy coach at Texas tech, how much Gase would like to get his hands on this dude..what a player..The natural way he plays the game, how comfortable he is during operation is very impressive.”

“an incredible nuance he has, is how he uses the threat of him running just to draw the defenders to him to create space in the secondary, then in an instant, just play them like fools and throw it to the spot where they vacated, lol.

head fakes, shoulder deeks, pump fakes, unreal.

“The one thing I believe folks are not thinking through is that he has been programmed to just let it go, just be the ultimate gunslinger and live with any consequences, when he reaches this level they will teach him to take care of the football better and not make as many dangerous throws, and when he learns that, how to manage the game with his skill set, he will be unstoppable.

“I would take him #1 if I was a team needing a QB”

“special football player..”

Who are you quoting?

I think what all great QBs have is the ability to process football information efficiently incredibly fast. This is hard to evaluate in college, defenses dont challenge the QBs nearly as much as in the pros.
I believe that time does actually slow down for all the great QBs when facing pressure. Many HoF QBs said point blank, that the game SLOWED DOWN for them, in exact words.

I was in a horrific car crash not too long ago and almost died. Time literally was in extreme slow motion the moment of impact. I could see my right dashboard and glove box VERY slowly caving in, then i saw my stereo a/c etc. in the middle barely moving at all caving in, then I saw my steering wheel airbag pop open in slow motion with an open slit on the right side, then it was over.

I believe the greatest QBs in NFL history get that sense triggered during pressure, at least to a lesser degree somewhat. It’s hard to explain how some of these QB’s escape pressure when it looks like there is no way to avoid a sack, but they do. Marino comes to mind a lot when I think of that. Aaron Rodgers is like that today.

I believe that time does actually slow down for all the great QBs when facing pressure. Many HoF QBs said point blank, that the game SLOWED DOWN for them, in exact words.

I was in a horrific car crash not too long ago and almost died. Time literally was in extreme slow motion the moment of impact. I could see my right dashboard and glove box VERY slowly caving in, then i saw my stereo a/c etc. in the middle barely moving at all caving in, then I saw my steering wheel airbag pop open in slow motion with an open slit on the right side, then it was over.

I believe the greatest QBs in NFL history get that sense triggered during pressure, at least to a lesser degree somewhat. It’s hard to explain how some of these QB’s escape pressure when it looks like there is no way to avoid a sack, but they do. Marino comes to mind a lot when I think of that. Aaron Rodgers is like that today.
Glad you're still with us my friend!

Back
Top Bottom