I have just witnessed the single worst piece of officiating I have ever seen! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I have just witnessed the single worst piece of officiating I have ever seen!

RobFins2005 said:
His exact words were:

"After review, the player caught the ball, lost it prior to getting his knee off the ground, therefore it is an incomplete pass". He wasn't arguing possession, he was stating that since his knee wasn't off the ground apparently he hadn't completed the football move.

Do I agree? No. But the NFL really should explain what a "football move" is so we can stop arguing.

If you take that explanation by Ferreira then, in my opinion, it should have been a fumble. Argueing possesion is rediculous in my opinion. The guy had the ball in his hands and was on the ground.

I think you're right on the "football move" issue. The NFL has to define that. "Football move" is so damn generic.

NYPhinFan said:
The whole point of this thread was the non-call do-over about the false start...but after that there was enough awful calls that people forget it. I have never seen a do-over in this league...never! So what exactly happened with people in the backfield and ball not being snapped and whistles blowing 20 seconds after the fact!

That was pretty unbelievable.

I almost thought...ALMOST, for one moment...thought that the officials were going to review the play, even though it is not allowed by rule.

But it didn't happen, because they knew they'd all be suspended or fired for it.

RobFins2005 said:
That isn't what he said :). read my above post

I didnt mean exactly

I was giving the basic Idea of hit

and the fact that he said he lost the ball while still on the ground because of his knee

unifiedtheory said:
If you take that explanation by Ferreira then, in my opinion, it should have been a fumble. Argueing possesion is rediculous in my opinion. The guy had the ball in his hands and was on the ground.

I think you're right on the "football move" issue. The NFL has to define that. "Football move" is so damn generic.

I have to admit I was rooting for the Colts in this one, as I'm a Peyton fan, but I thought the call was blown too.

I just don't like when people state if the Colts win, that would have been why. I still think that non-call false start really screwed the Colts as it really gave them little time to mount a rally. 9 minutes to rally means Edgerrin can run the ball to open up the passing game.

RobFins2005 said:
I have to admit I was rooting for the Colts in this one, as I'm a Peyton fan, but I thought the call was blown too.

I just don't like when people state if the Colts win, that would have been why. I still think that non-call false start really screwed the Colts as it really gave them little time to mount a rally. 9 minutes to rally means Edgerrin can run the ball to open up the passing game.

Well, the non-false start call was a make up call for that HORRID non-call on the pass interference in the first half.

unifiedtheory said:
Well, the non-false start call was a make up call for that HORRID non-call on the pass interference in the first half.

It was definitely pass interference, but pass interference non-calls happen every game. That and phantom pass interference calls. The Fins (luckily) got away with quite of few of them late in the season.

Am I the only one here that thought when Roethlisberger was ruled down on that sack, that it was indeed a fumble? It didn't appear he was down to me when the ball was popped loose, and while a Steeler did fall on the ball, the whistles had started before then, so arguably the Colts may have stopped pursuing it.

Alex22 said:
It does but you have to maintain possesion untill you get off the ground or you are touched down and the play is over

it was the right call
He was off the ground.

RobFins2005 said:
and arguably, the non-false start call (which was clearly a Pittsburgh false start) took 2 and a half minutes off the clock, which if it had not been called, would have left Indy with a healthy 9 minutes to drive to comeback, which means Peyton Manning likely wouldn't have made such a throw across the middle because there would have been no desperation, and since it was a swing of 20 yards, it's possible that it might have impacted field position.
Very good point. I didn't notice but I gues they didn't reset the clock.

unifiedtheory said:

Flinches are missed all the time anyway. Still, this was nowhere near as bad as what happened to the Pats last year (Yes, a bad call against the Pats, imagine that).

When we were playing at New England, McIntosh or McMichael clearly flinched, and the official clearly saw it, but was going to let the play go on. So Rosie Colvin just ran over and shoved him (McIntosh) to force the issue. False Start called (proving that the official saw it and swallowed the whistle).

The next week when they faced Seattle, either Walter Jones, or, more likely, the tight end covering him, clearly flinched, and the official (probably a different one) clearly saw it, but was again going to let the play go on. So Colvin pushes that player to force the issue again. False Start called (proving that an official saw it and swallowed the whistle for the second week in a row). Personal Foul called on Colvin for shoving the guy because the official refused to call a blatant penalty that he clearly saw! :goof:

I laughed until the tears were flowing when on the do-over the refs said something like "there was no movement on the play". The whole two teams were mingling LOL. Im glad I didnt favor either team because both of them should be pissed.

BTW, the NFL owes me for the TV I fried spitting my soda on on that Polamalu overturn. I almost hit Indy with that mouthful of soda.

The NFL has now provided a precedent!...when in doubt...just say nothing happened...and lets do a DO-OVER!...what a joke!

unifiedtheory said:
That overrule on the INT was the worst call I've ever seen in my life in any sport.

I am ASTOUNDED at how bad that call was...it makes that non call on the PI in the 1st half look good.

yes, yes it was and yes, yes it does...

RobFins2005 said:
It was definitely pass interference, but pass interference non-calls happen every game. That and phantom pass interference calls. The Fins (luckily) got away with quite of few of them late in the season.

Am I the only one here that thought when Roethlisberger was ruled down on that sack, that it was indeed a fumble? It didn't appear he was down to me when the ball was popped loose, and while a Steeler did fall on the ball, the whistles had started before then, so arguably the Colts may have stopped pursuing it.

you're right about the fumble, but you can use your own logic in this situation: premature whistles happen all the time as well. i don't see DB's tackling receivers before the ball arrives every game, though, but your basic argument on that is correct.

It almost seems to me this year that the league may have wanted officials to back off a little on the re-emphasis of the 5 yard chucking rule due to the inflated offensive numbers last year and that officials are now afraid to throw flags at all.

RobFins2005 said:
It almost seems to me this year that the league may have wanted officials to back off a little on the re-emphasis of the 5 yard chucking rule due to the inflated offensive numbers last year and that officials are now afraid to throw flags at all.

i see the logic in this, but more than throwing flags, they're afraid to make calls. this benefits the home team in a lot of cases. i, personally, would like to see a return to the pre-1979 pass defense rules. i know it'll never happen, though.

Back
Top Bottom