I have just witnessed the single worst piece of officiating I have ever seen! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I have just witnessed the single worst piece of officiating I have ever seen!

DPlus47 said:
i see the logic in this, but more than throwing flags, they're afraid to make calls. this benefits the home team in a lot of cases. i, personally, would like to see a return to the pre-1979 pass defense rules. i know it'll never happen, though.

I wouldn't mind seeing it because I know while it might seem that it would hurt the offense, I think receivers are so athletic nowadays they might find a way to overcome the more physical defense allowed and reduce the points off of pass interference. Plus, the receivers would be allowed to be more aggressive in fighting for the football as well.

I wanted to reiterate the beginning of this thread. We watched an NFL game where the ball was in play..QB calling out the signals...all of a sudden players ran across the line of scrimmage...the ball was not snapped...no whistles were blown...no flags were thrown...and then the Refs huddled up...then decided that.........NOTHING happened...no penalty...no play...no flag...nothing...what we just saw DID NOT happen...we would just do it over.
It was not a false start...it was not offside...the play was not blown dead....just forget it happened...lets do it again. I am 40 years old and have watched football since I was 10...I have never seen anything like that before...EVER!...What a disgrace!

His knee was just coming off the ground at the exact moment he kicked it out with his left knee. If that's indisputable evidence, I'm the Easter Bunny. Even still I would consider a roll a football move. If he clearly has COMPLETE posession that's an interception, I don't care what the rule book states.

NYPhinFan said:
I wanted to reiterate the beginning of this thread. We watched an NFL game where the ball was in play..QB calling out the signals...all of a sudden players ran across the line of scrimmage...the ball was not snapped...no whistles were blown...no flags were thrown...and then the Refs huddled up...then decided that.........NOTHING happened...no penalty...no play...no flag...nothing...what we just saw DID NOT happen...we would just do it over.
It was not a false start...it was not offside...the play was not blown dead....just forget it happened...lets do it again. I am 40 years old and have watched football since I was 10...I have never seen anything like that before...EVER!...What a disgrace!

I was a bit stunned by it. and here's why I think it happened.

They didn't see the false start (obviously), and saw the Colt players pointing at the Steelers, but in doing so, they had jumped offside.

They knew they couldn't make a call based on what the players were alleging, so they really couldn't realistically rule "false start" without getting lambasted by Steelers fans and press. They did, however, see the offsides by the Colts.

What should they have done? Probably just ruled the offsides, even if it was wrong, if they did not deep down inside believe that there was any false start.

But to say no contact was made was absolutely ridiculous, I agree. And don't think they won't get in a lot of heat for it. I doubt they'll be officiating the Super Bowl.

RobFins2005 said:
I was a bit stunned by it. and here's why I think it happened.

They didn't see the false start (obviously), and saw the Colt players pointing at the Steelers, but in doing so, they had jumped offside.

They knew they couldn't make a call based on what the players were alleging, so they really couldn't realistically rule "false start" without getting lambasted by Steelers fans and press. They did, however, see the offsides by the Colts.

What should they have done? Probably just ruled the offsides, even if it was wrong, if they did not deep down inside believe that there was any false start.

But to say no contact was made was absolutely ridiculous, I agree. And don't think they won't get in a lot of heat for it. I doubt they'll be officiating the Super Bowl.
I totally agree...but this is an official game...with rules!...you make a call..offsides..false start..but you make a call!!!!!...you don't just says oops...I don't know...lets pretend that it never happened.

The reversal of Troy Palomala's inteception today was ridiculous...he clearly caught the ball and rolled over with the ball in his possession. The Steelers almost blew the game because of this (and Jerome Bettis' fumble), but we all knew Vanderchoke would miss it. :D

NYPhinFan said:
I totally agree...but this is an official game...with rules!...you make a call..offsides..false start..but you make a call!!!!!...you don't just says oops...I don't know...lets pretend that it never happened.

I agree. They should have just called offsides if they didn't see the false start, even if it was wrong. Because if they felt calling offsides was the "wrong" call, then obviously they must have believed there was a false start!

Alex22 said:
It does but you have to maintain possesion untill you get off the ground or you are touched down and the play is over

it was the right call

No, it wasn't.

You do not have to get up at all to establish possession.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that it was the right call, and only an extreme Colts homer will tell you otherwise.

It is 6 hours after the game and I am still in total disbelief of the calls in this game. The only thing I know will upset me more will be the lame excuses the Director Of Officiating will make . The league would get so much more credit if they came out and admitted that some of the calls were poor and that they were being addressed than rather just say good call...next!

I have read this ENTIRE thread from front to end... I watched the game today as well... I am truly puzzled by those that defend the overturn of the INT and in FULL agreement with those that have issues with the "NON-CALL" on False-Start or Off-Sides...

1st, I would like to offer my opinon of the "NON-CALL"... IT doesn't really matter whether it was a False-Start or Off-Sides... If it was "FALSE-START", based on the other calls made during the game, I BELIEVE that PITT would have been penalized!!! The issue is that the REFs did not call "OFF-SIDES" on the COLTS as there was no VISUAL evidence that PITT committed a False-Start!!!! The "DO-OVER" was totally trash!!!

2nd, I have watched professional Football for many more years than a lot of you arguing have been alive! The interception by TROY was that!!! An INT!!! How many INTs have you seen where the defender goes to the ground catching the ball?!!! The give on this play was the fact that when he tried to get up to run with it, he kicked it loose with his knee!!! It was still an interception!!! He fumbled the ball getting up from the ground!!! I don't care how you look at it... UNLESS the rule book says that an intercepting defender CAN NOT loose the ball after the interception has been COMPLETED!!!!!, then TROY intercepted the ball, fumbled it and recovered a fumble!!!:fire: :o

FINintheMOON said:
I have read this ENTIRE thread from front to end... I watched the game today as well... I am truly puzzled by those that defend the overturn of the INT and in FULL agreement with those that have issues with the "NON-CALL" on False-Start or Off-Sides...

1st, I would like to offer my opinon of the "NON-CALL"... IT doesn't really matter whether it was a False-Start or Off-Sides... If it was "FALSE-START", based on the other calls made during the game, I BELIEVE that PITT would have been penalized!!! The issue is that the REFs did not call "OFF-SIDES" on the COLTS as there was no VISUAL evidence that PITT committed a False-Start!!!! The "DO-OVER" was totally trash!!!

2nd, I have watched professional Football for many more years than a lot of you arguing have been alive! The interception by TROY was that!!! An INT!!! How many INTs have you seen where the defender goes to the ground catching the ball?!!! The give on this play was the fact that when he tried to get up to run with it, he kicked it loose with his knee!!! It was still an interception!!! He fumbled the ball getting up from the ground!!! I don't care how you look at it... UNLESS the rule book says that an intercepting defender CAN NOT loose the ball after the interception has been COMPLETED!!!!!, then TROY intercepted the ball, fumbled it and recovered a fumble!!!:fire: :o
I am 40 yrs old and I totally agree with your assesment. I have NEVER seen the calls I witnessed today..NEVER!

FINintheMOON said:

No the rulebook states you have to maintain possesion the entire time on the ground, his knee was still down when he lost it

It doesnt matter how many somersaults or tumbles he did

Its the correct call

Alex22 said:
No the rulebook states you have to maintain possesion the entire time on the ground, his knee was still down when he lost it

It doesnt matter how many somersaults or tumbles he did

Its the correct call

If you watch the play JUNIOR, You will see that he DID maintain control of the ball to complete the interception!!! He LOST the ball when he tried to get up with it to run!!!

WHAT IS SO HARD to understand about that!!!

:rofl: @ Alex22 defending a horrible call. Did you defend the Tuck Rule as well?

FINintheMOON said:
If you watch the play JUNIOR, You will see that he DID maintain control of the ball to complete the interception!!! He LOST the ball when he tried to get up with it to run!!!

WHAT IS SO HARD to understand about that!!!

One knee was still on the ground, before he got up his other knee knocked it out

One knee on the ground and you are DOWN it doesnt matter what he did with the ball, because he never got UP, He didnt maintain possesion the Entire time on the ground

Visit the rulebook before you resort to namecalling

Back
Top Bottom