I think we are mostly done until June 1st. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I think we are mostly done until June 1st.

Gimme a break guyz - I’d trot out EZ, Berrios, Cray Cray, Swain and Sanders aheada Ced any day. Trade him to Dallas for a 5th. Done
Sure sure cause they have had so much success as NFL wide receivers, better hope we don’t loose Waddle or Hill for an extended period of time.. and we get a better complete TE in the draft.

Here's what I have now... correct me if I've missed anything.

Offense (31)
QB: Tua, White, Thompson
RB: Wilson, Mostert, Ahmed, Gaskin
FB: Ingold, Lovett
WR1: Hill
WR2: Waddle
WRs: Wilson, Ezukanma, Sanders, Berrios, Swain, Cracraft
TE: Smythe, Saubert, Conner
LT: Armstead, Lamm
LG: Eichenberg, Jones
C: Williams, Feeney
RG: Hunt, Cotton
RT: Jackson, Christian, Smith

Defense (29)
DE: Ogbah, Twyman
DT: Wilkins, Bronson
DT: Davis, Sieler
Edge: Phillips, Chubb, Van Ginkle, Reed, Goode
MLB: Long, Tindall
WLB: Baker, Riley
CB1: Ramsey, Iggy, Bethel
CB2: Hoard, Crossen
FS: Holland
SS: Elliot, Jones
DBs: Kohou, Needham, Williams, Campbell, McKinley, Ellis

(Specials 3)
K: Sanders
P: Bailey
LS: Ferguson

Total (63)

We have 2M remaining under the cap until we get our Byron Jones relief. Let's take a look at the only realistic possibilities that might happen to increase this space...
a) There are a couple of people who keep saying, 'cut Crossen'. Myself, I think this is unlikely, but I will list it as a service to these posters. (3.155M... replaced by River Cracraft's 940K... net possible gain 2.215M).
b) Trade Cedrick Wilson. This is, I think, the second most likely possibility. (It's a cap savings of 7M if we do this... (less Cracraft's 940k) but the team seems to like him more than I do).
c) Trade Ogbah. I think this one is VERY unlikely... coming off of an injury marred season, I suspect he'd be hard to move, and teams would want us to pay part of his contract. Never say never though. This is we could trade him, would net us (up to) 15M on the cap (less Cracraft's 940K).
d) Restructure Wilkins. This one comes down to the will to keep him. If we want him; I am pretty certain he'll sign. Nailing down how much that we'd save is harder though... because there is 0% chance of knowing what he'd get when he'd sign. I'll make an educated guess. His salary for 2023 would go from 10.7M to 1M, so 9.7M savings to start, but now you have to add in the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus. Let's assume that he gets Daron Payne's contract. Payne's pro-rate is 5.6M a year... so resigning Wilkins is NOT going to save all that much.... maybe 4.1M. Yes, I know he could sign for less... and some will argue that he should, but I won't get into that here. let's just call it a 5M cap savings and be done here.

There really isn't much money available before June 1st... and as I think I've shown, the best cap relief in 2023 is in moving Cedrick Wilson...

Boys... I think we're done except for depth signings...

and yes I know, I know... Derrick Henry... his cap cost this year would be 10.5M. ...and yes, if we extended him, we could reduce that... but he's due 10.5 this year and he isn't going to play for less. If we resigned him to one of those 3-year contracts with a 1M salary and a 15M bonus, he'd still cost around 6M this year (and then 15 and 15 the next two years).
Byron Jones cap relief + Cedric Wilson trade = $20 million. That’s all we’d have to do right there…

I've said this forever, Cedric Wilson has no trade value whatsoever. 7.75M for zero production in 2022 and other than one slightly decent punt return in the playoffs he did absolutely nothing on special teams either. What team is taking on that contract when they can get that production off the street from any UDFA? The only way the Dolphins are trading Cedric Wilson is by giving up a pick along with him, and IMO, he's better off staying with the Dolphins.
Interesting point and something worth considering. Was that because of a lack of targets though? He was super productive in Dallas before we signed him. I think he has some trade value if you found the right fit. The receiver class isn’t that strong this year in the draft nor free agency.

All we'd have to do for what?
To clear up enough cap room to sign a couple of key free agents, such as a right tackle and left guard for example.

To clear up enough cap room to sign a couple of key free agents, such as a right tackle and left guard for example.
Well, if McD was being honest in the "Open Mike" interview, they don't intend on spending any big $ there anyway.

Besides that, I'm skeptical about any top quality FAs will be available in June, when the Jones money becomes available.

On the other hand, a Wilkins extension seems imminent which of structured appropriately, would free up some usable cap space.

Is the team better on paper than last year? Sure. Is it enough to move the needle? ehh probably not. We are so top heavy with talent that one or two injuries derails this team. Why Vegas has us at 9.5 wins. Mainly Tua's injury concerns. A lot of permutations for the under 9.5 to hit with this team. Not many for the over. Add in the fact the division is the 1 or 2 toughest in the league and pro bettors will lean heavy on the under 9.5 wins.

Well, if McD was being honest in the "Open Mike" interview, they don't intend on spending any big $ there anyway.

Besides that, I'm skeptical about any top quality FAs will be available in June, when the Jones money becomes available.

On the other hand, a Wilkins extension seems imminent which of structured appropriately, would free up some usable cap space.
yeah, it doesn’t happen after June very often except via trade. Regarding the “Open Mike” interview, he’s got his skill position players now, so that’s no longer a problem. Now the biggest risk to the teams Super Bowl hopes is the health of Tua and I’ve got to hope McD &Grier understand that. We’re going into the next season with who protecting his blind side? Eichenberg was a disaster at left guard as well. The draft and UDFAs could yield some competition & depth, Right Tackle, is the one position that is important and that‘s got to scare the team. Some linebacker flying in unblocked on Tua’s blindside hitting him and breaking his ribs (jujitsu won’t protect against that) will end all of it, we won’t be an elite offense or team if we lose Tua.

I truly hope the team addresses that fatal flaw in our roster.

I think the Dolphins still have some offers out for some players they think they can use. Irv Smith was an example. It was between Miami and Cincy and he chose Cincy. We probably have some other offers out for OL, DL, TE (maybe Shell) but both sides are playing the long game; players hoping someone gets desperate and teams waiting for musical chairs to end and someone left out agrees to a lowered salary. So something may happen before June, but like Fever said, probably not. Depends on players and agents.

Interesting point and something worth considering. Was that because of a lack of targets though? He was super productive in Dallas before we signed him. I think he has some trade value if you found the right fit. The receiver class isn’t that strong this year in the draft nor free agency.
Wilson has been in the league four years and has only had one somewhat decent year, so not even close to super productive. His contract is reflective of that one year. Any team worth their salt will never take that contract on. Personally, with Sherfield gone and with his height, I think he could take over the #3 role and be a good fit

Dos - as opposed to uno or tres. Dos yrs left on his contracta @ 7.7 millionino per yearza. I’m pretendingo I’m a Mezachino tonight! Si Señor 🇲🇽🌮🏜🌵🎃
Where the Syrup? Hey, you! You pissing in a tree in public, would you be my friend?

1680214160025.png

:p

I'm pretending to be a Canadio.

Your mexican impression was alright. You can still improve.

Last edited:
Unless it's a bell cow Rb. I just don't see it. We don't have the cap room at all.
Everyone talking Wilson trade or wilkins restructure, but who wr3 or wilson traded Berrios/Ezukama To me it seems unlikely
Bell cow 🔔 running back?
Hey I got an idea! 💡 How bout Derrick Henry? 🎃

Back
Top Bottom