I Was Disappointed On Gase Last Night | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I Was Disappointed On Gase Last Night

Ah in 2016 we were 2nd in the NFL to the Atlanta Falcons in plays over 40 yards. However we should base all of our judgements on the 2018 preseason everything else is thrown out. Makes sense.

Gase and Ryan have made big plays together. It’s not like it’s never happened. Many were to Parker and Stills who are still here. Why would that go away? I don’t get the base everything on the last thing we see way of thinking when history in real NFL games tells us otherwise.

40+ yard plays are so rare in the league that it isn’t sensible to make any meaning of them at all in comparing any one team to any other.

Did anyone see the bomb that the Chiefs Mahomes and Hill hooked up for yesterday. It must have flown 70 yard in the air. Pretty bad ass.

40+ yard plays are so rare in the league that it isn’t sensible to make any meaning of them at all in comparing any one team to any other.

But you just said down the field plays have been lacking since Parker and Stills have been here and I’m telling by you they haven’t with 2016 as an example. Now you’re telling me my example means nothing. I’m confused, this seems like the shadow of a sensible debate.

If Gase can get Jarvis 9 touchdowns then I’m sure he’ll be fine in the red area.

In 2016 Tannehill had the highest red zone qb rating in the nfl.
Actually Matt Moore had a higher QB rating then Tannehill in 2016. Tannehill certainly wasn't the most productive. Rogers gets that honor with 33 TD on 115 attempts. Kaepernick was more productive as well connecting on 13 TD on a mere 32 attempts compared Tannehill's 11 TD on 46 attempts. 22 QBs threw more TD passes in the red zone than Tannehill. Of course, Tannehill did miss 3.5 games. At least 17 QBs threw more red zone TDs per game than Tannehill.

What skews the QB rating more than anything is completion % and that is why Tannehill's QB rating is always higher than his level of play. QB rating significantly rewards dumping the ball off, doesn't take into account poor pocket presence and punishes a QB who throws the ball away rather than take a sack.

Having said all that Tannehill did play really well in the red zone in 2016 and he spread the ball around nicely so there is legitimacy to the claim Gase can design plays to create opportunities not dependent on a single player.

But you just said down the field plays have been lacking since Parker and Stills have been here and I’m telling by you they haven’t with 2016 as an example. Now you’re telling me my example means nothing. I’m confused, this seems like the shadow of a sensible debate.

Downfield plays of 40+ yards are lacking throughout the league.

In 2017, the worst team in the league in that regard had three pass plays of 40+ yards, while the best team in the league in that regard had 16.

When all teams in the league run over 1000 offensive plays a year, it’s awfully hard to argue that as few as 16 plays make a meaningful difference.

In other words, you’re going to too far an extreme to make your point. If the Dolphins had had let’s say one pass play of 90+ yards in 2016, and the rest of the league had had zero such plays, would you then conclude that the Dolphins had a better downfield passing game than the rest of the league?

That’s only a more extreme version of the point you made, which was already at too far an extreme.

Now consider that when you restrict the analysis from 2016 to pass plays of 15 to 39 yards, those ranged by team from 62 to 105 in the league, and guess which team had 62?

The Dolphins.

Last edited:
That first game is going to be real interesting to see if this a pattern for the year or if Gase was hiding his intentions during preseason. Couple of things to consider Gase brings along rookies a bit too slowly at times and winning preseason games does not appear to be as important as other coaches we have had here in the past.

Correct. You're talking one per game so it is not a meaningful category.

The reference point for big passing plays is typically 25+ yards, and big play rushes are 10+ yards.

Besides, if we are focusing on 2016 alone then at least 4 or 5 of those 40+ yard plays are Jay Ajayi runs, if I remember correctly.

Not sure why we are counting those in regard to 2018. We were wearing out the defense on the ground and then Ajayi would bust a big one. I distinctly remember how gassed the Steelers and Bills (twice) defenses looked.

Drake may break some cute weaving runs but I don't think this offense is designed to wear anybody out, not with our screen passes shy of the marker.

It looks to me Gase is working on tempo and the short passing game with Ryan..

gase is a fraud that somehow gets a pass from the media

his teams are undisciplined and his play calls lack situational awareness

Downfield plays of 40+ yards are lacking throughout the league.

In 2017, the worst team in the league in that regard had three pass plays of 40+ yards, while the best team in the league in that regard had 16.

When all teams in the league run over 1000 offensive plays a year, it’s awfully hard to argue that as few as 16 plays make a meaningful difference.

I strongly disagree. Downfield plays of 40+ yards are very often touchdowns or put a team in prime scoring position.

At 16 plays? If half of those plays result in touchdowns, and a quarter of them result in field goals, that's about 67 points. That's about 12-15% of a good football team's scoring output. It's 25-30% of a bad football team's scoring output. Big plays can swing close ballgames. The reason the 2016 Dolphins made the playoffs was big plays.

The argument that one massive field position swing / one quick touchdown per game for a football team isn't meaningful is absolutely insane to me.

Did you get banned at that other site again? Yeesh.

I strongly disagree. Downfield plays of 40+ yards are very often touchdowns or put a team in prime scoring position.

At 16 plays? If half of those plays result in touchdowns, and a quarter of them result in field goals, that's about 67 points. That's about 12-15% of a good football team's scoring output. It's 25-30% of a bad football team's scoring output. Big plays can swing close ballgames. The reason the 2016 Dolphins made the playoffs was big plays.

The argument that one massive field position swing / one quick touchdown per game for a football team isn't meaningful is absolutely insane to me.

Did you get banned at that other site again? Yeesh.

The point isn’t that plays of 40+ yards are meaningless in terms of scoring. It’s that they’re meaningless as a measurement of a team’s downfield passing game, due to their rarity in the league.

To support the point made by the fellow above, one would need to show that the teams with more pass plays of 40+ yards were also the teams with better downfield passing games in general, and that can’t be done with such a meager sample of plays.

Why for example did the 2016 Dolphins finish second in the league in pass plays of 40+ yards, yet dead LAST in the league in pass plays of 15 to 39 yards?

Last edited:
WE NEED AN EXPERIENCE QUALIFIED NFL HEAD COACH.....
Too bad you weren't around to tell the Rams, Eagles, Falcons, and Vikings what idiots they were before they hired their coaches, you could've saved them lots of heartache!

Right. That's all I'm saying. If Gesicki and Tannehill had been playing together for a few years then that's one thing but they haven't even played a regular season game together yet. You have to work on it and waiting till the season starts is not the way to go but I hope I'm wrong and find out that they didn't even need to practice at all.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about Gesicki in the least. Gase playing him with the 1's all preseason, and mostly focusing on making him block over and over, tells me he has BIG plans for him. Rookie TE's don't usually do much in their first year, but this trial by fire indicates to me that Gase wants him to be locked and loaded come game 1. The fact that many passes don't go his way could just mean that Gase is supremely confidant in his ability in that area, through what he's shown already in camp.

At least that's what I'm hoping.

Last edited:
Gase knows what he has in Gesicki in his passing game, and what he has in Gesicki in his blocking game, which is why he kept Gesicki more to block, then to catch passes.

in my opinion it tells me Gase is already very impressed with what Gesicki will give him in the passing game, and he is not willing to wait for him to learn how to block, he is going to be force fed blocking assignments until he becomes at least less of a liability when he is out there.

I thought Gesicki might be slowly eased into the Offense, and in Redzone situations, but it seems he wants to get Gesicki ready to become the #1 TE as soon as possible...If I'm right, awesome, Gesicki can be our version of Gronk...a huge overpowering TE that can not be stopped or covered in the redzone or during 3rd and anything.

Back
Top Bottom