I would like to hear more opinions of CK and Boomer about our draft plans. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I would like to hear more opinions of CK and Boomer about our draft plans.

great post ck. my question is what round would beck be drafted if he was in this year's qb class. i think he would go behind ryan, brohm, henne and flacco.

. Sort of like how they say there are no shut-down corners in the NFL anymore, there may be no shut-down pass protectors at left tackle in the NFL anymore. The old guard names like Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Jon Ogden and Tony Boselli...well, Boselli's been out of football for years, Ogden has told the Ravens to assume he's retiring, Pace went through a significant injury and both he and Jones are getting older now...it's very possible that the premium LTs in the NFL are undergoing a change. They look more like Joe Thomas than D'Brickashaw Ferguson. The "island" left tackle nowadays might be more of a myth, with the complex blitz packages defenses are sending on a regular basis nowadays. .

Very interesting point.

great post ck. my question is what round would beck be drafted if he was in this year's qb class. i think he would go behind ryan, brohm, henne and flacco.

Behind Matt Ryan, but between John Beck, Brian Brohm, Chad Henne and Joe Flacco...it would sort of be a choose your own adventure story. A couple of teams would fall in love with Beck as the #2 guy behind Ryan, a couple would fall in love with Brohm, some would love Flacco...it's hard to imagine any teams liking Henne more than Beck though.

What do you guys think the biggest postion of need is on this Dolphins team. And what position should be addressed first?

Thanks in advance!

1. If Beck were in this draft, he would not carry as high a grade as Matt Ryan. I know there aren't too many people that like to hear that, but it's true. In the end, Matt Ryan is taller and younger. They both have functionally the same arm and around the same accuracy. They're both capable of throwing fast balls but their accuracy tends to come down when they're focusing on putting the mustard on their passes. The turnover issue for Matt Ryan has been vastly overblown. People act like interceptions per game is more important than interceptions per pass. It isn't. When you account for the sheer volume of passes he threw in 2007, his interception percentage is like a 2.9% or something like that. A little high, to be sure, but not outrageous. Anything below 4% is pro caliber. Tony Romo in college was in the high 3's I believe. He turned out ok. You can rein in a guy that has a knack for taking chances successfully but also takes a few too many (Favre). You usually can't teach a guy that is ultra-safe to take more chances and become a more effective quarterback (ahem, Harrington). If anything bothers me about Matt Ryan, it is more how his yards per completion and yards per attempt have been very ranged with his accuracy percentage. I'd have maybe liked to see him in 2007 take a step up both in accuracy AND in yards per completion, rather than ranging between sacrificing one in favor of the other. The thing with Matt Ryan is...his draft stock has gone too high. Is a taller, younger John Beck worth the #1 overall? I don't think so. Not in my book. It's worth more than the #40 overall that Beck went at, but not as high as #1 overall. Also, people way too conveniently disregard height and size in a QB around here...usually in support of Beck. It is important and it definitely has its place in the valuation of a quarterback. Height can make things a lot easier for a QB. For every 6'2" quarterback people bring up that has been successful despite his height (such as Favre), there is probably a 6'5" or 6'6" quarterback that would probably not have been successful had it not been for his height (such as Derek Anderson). In Beck's case, I'm mostly concerned about ball security.

2. I would say from Jake Long to Sam Baker is a significant drop. I use to be a lot more down on Jake Long than I am now. The bottom line is he's got the body, he's got the tools, the strength in spades, the quick feet and the resume and I may have just been overthinking this one. Some people overthought Tony Ugoh and Joe Thomas and paid for it (myself included). Sam Baker doesn't have Jake Long in any of those areas. He doesn't have as quick feet, doesn't have nearly as good a body, doesn't have the same resume, or the same strength...nor the balance in his game. One thing I am starting to think in the wake of the D'Brickashaw Ferguson disaster is that if a guy is a one-dimensional player in college, he doesn't even have much of a chance of being a one-dimensional player in the pros. It's something I have to re-evaluate. Sort of like how they say there are no shut-down corners in the NFL anymore, there may be no shut-down pass protectors at left tackle in the NFL anymore. The old guard names like Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Jon Ogden and Tony Boselli...well, Boselli's been out of football for years, Ogden has told the Ravens to assume he's retiring, Pace went through a significant injury and both he and Jones are getting older now...it's very possible that the premium LTs in the NFL are undergoing a change. They look more like Joe Thomas than D'Brickashaw Ferguson. The "island" left tackle nowadays might be more of a myth, with the complex blitz packages defenses are sending on a regular basis nowadays. Anyway, where I'm going with all of this is...I thought Baker was a bit one-dimensional in college...and that makes me more uncomfortable about his pro prospects right now, than it would have a year ago.

3. Right now our ILBs are scheduled to be Channing Crowder and Reggie Torbor...and yes, that is a bit scary. But in this Parcells-style jumbo 3-4, the ILBs are taking on 300+ pound bodies on a regular basis and mixing it up. I think there's a little less opportunity for the ILBs to really shine anyway. The OLBs have to be stellar...and that's why they tossed big money at Calvin Pace, and will probably draft Chris Long.

Couple of questions
1. How are defenses today more complex compared to those of past 10 years? 34 two gap is 34 two gap. 52 is 52. Stunts are stunts. Has there even been a revolutionary change in defensive theory since the Tampa 2 (which is a modified 43 cover 2 look anyway).

2. LT obsolete? Ask Tom Brady after Matt Light GOT OWNED in SB XLII. But that I guess brings me to a better question; does a team need a Tony Boselli more than a Bruce Smith or is Bruce Smith more important than Tony Boselli?

I believe its gray between which is more valuable, like a chicken/chicken egg argument.

3. What did Joe Thomas have that Ferguson lacks (besides an unspellable name)?

What do you guys think the biggest postion of need is on this Dolphins team. And what position should be addressed first?

Thanks in advance!

There's a difference between what is the biggest position of need on the team and what position needs to be addressed first.

When you look at the roster, the offensive line is completely void of talent. We have three starters (Carey, Satele, Smiley) where you need five, basically. We also only have one rosterable backup in Drew Mormino. You need two more of those. You can maybe get away with rostering Trey Darilek, maybe. We need about four roster quality offensive linemen, all in all, with two of them starter quality. That's a huge gaping hole, and I'm sure it's by design as they want to parlay this unusually strong OL class into a whole foundation of young offensive linemen for years to come. As such I'd expect three draft picks. However, that doesn't mean it is the position we'll address "first" so to speak.

do we have interest in quentin groves if we take Jake Long one, and groves should fall to the second round, maybe if there is a first round "run" on OT's

Boomer or CK , I still think we should be taking a strong look at Glen Dorsey, Fergie is just a stop gap dt., Starks could be or could be not what we need but a guy like Dorsey could be a game changer for us if healthy ( which I think he is ),some injurys seems to get overblowen alot. What do you guys think?

With pro days starting and draft stocks moving up and down, who can we realistically start looking at with our 2 picks in the second round?

It all depends on so many factors; what we do with pick 1 and what happens with Jason Taylor. Essentially Miami could easily take a QB like Brohm or Henne, a WR like Hardy or Caldwell or Sweed, a tight end like Bennett, a tackle like Collins or Baker, a guard like Albert if he falls, numerous ends or tackles who could play the 3-4 end, linebackers like Mayo, Lofton, etc. and a variety of cornerbacks starting with a prospect as good as Cason. It's so wide open.

Thoughts on Carl Nicks, I've seen parts of one game.

Everything, I've read has him; mean streak, quick feet, quick hands, severe lack technique(poor coaching?)

Back
Top Bottom