I would like to hear more opinions of CK and Boomer about our draft plans. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I would like to hear more opinions of CK and Boomer about our draft plans.

What's also interesting about that game is Dejuan Tribble absolutely owns Devin Thomas. I think Thomas had one catch, dont remember, its been awhile

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that characterization thus far. Boston College are playing a lot of zone out there, and Michigan State just aren't really calling Devin Thomas' number much, and when they do, Boston College are all over it with extra attention. Specifically, Jamie Silva is watching Devin Thomas like a hawk, and sure enough he picks off a pass in the end zone that is intended for Thomas the whole way. On the TD to Kellen Davis, Silva had underneath zone responsibility straigh to Devin Thomas' side, and Thomas was nothing more than a decoy. On another play, Devin took a screen pass, and because of the extra attention it was snuffed out immediately. I've not seen anything from Tribble to suggest he's actually having a good day. In fact, Michigan State put a smaller RB way down the field and threw a deep pass toward him, and while Tribble was only a step and a half behind him in coverage, his effort on the ball was TOTALLY lacking...and if it were a better thrown ball and the runner jumped for it, then Tribble just would have let up a long TD pass to a RB on a streak.

Speaking of finding the time to watch more film. Today's Good Friday and the markets are off day, and so am I...I'm re-watching the Michigan State/Boston College game for fun. Matt Ryan is such a hot topic nowadays. But I also wanted to get a look at Kellen Davis, Devin Thomas, and Gosder Cherilus.

I have to say...I can definitely see why Miami are interested in Kellen Davis. The guy just smoked Gosder Cherilus on an outside speed rush as a defensive end...and he's a tight end by trade, lol. Forget tight end, I want to see this guy work some linebacker drills.

I get today off too, woohoo! Just woke up (yeah at noon) and going to Seau's in San Diego to watch USD hopefully put up a fight against UConn.:up:

Seeing as the CIO of my company is a BC alumni/fan, what is the consensus on Gosder? He came into the season as highly touted (mid to late 1st round) but then tailed off towards the end.

What is your opions of Curtis Lofton, the ILB from Oklahoma. I think he is a better all around ILB then Connor. He is much better in pass coverage and hits like a freight train. Do you think he will still be there for us with the 57th overall pick?

Isn't he projected a sixth rounder? Thats what I heard. Also, do you think he is a zone coverage guy or what type of D does he fit in? One last question, could he be looked at by the Dolphins?

I really wish I knew. He's the most confusing defensive player in this draft. Definitely the Zach Thomas of safeties. Or maybe I should say the Anquan Boldin of safeties. Or maybe Anquan is the Zach Thomas of receivers.

Silva runs a 4.8! No lie, a 4.8 in the 40. That wasn't just at the Combine either, he reproduced the same number at his pro day. There are some offensive linemen that are better athletes than him. We're talking a 9'0" broad jump, too. On a 5'11" and 204 pound guy...what do you do with that? He doesn't even have the athleticism to be a stout special teams guy. He's going to have to fight his whole way through...but I wouldn't be surprised if he does manage to do it. What a smart player he is.

Question concerning Glen Dorsey.
Considering how high Dorsey is rated, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of concern over his legs. He wore braces on his legs when he was 3. He had a few leg, ankle and/or knee injuries through college. Then, of course the recent rumor that he may have had surgery recently.
So is it a case of the potential outweighing the risk? Or do most believe that it really won't be a concern in the NFL?

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that characterization thus far. Boston College are playing a lot of zone out there, and Michigan State just aren't really calling Devin Thomas' number much, and when they do, Boston College are all over it with extra attention. Specifically, Jamie Silva is watching Devin Thomas like a hawk, and sure enough he picks off a pass in the end zone that is intended for Thomas the whole way. On the TD to Kellen Davis, Silva had underneath zone responsibility straigh to Devin Thomas' side, and Thomas was nothing more than a decoy. On another play, Devin took a screen pass, and because of the extra attention it was snuffed out immediately. I've not seen anything from Tribble to suggest he's actually having a good day. In fact, Michigan State put a smaller RB way down the field and threw a deep pass toward him, and while Tribble was only a step and a half behind him in coverage, his effort on the ball was TOTALLY lacking...and if it were a better thrown ball and the runner jumped for it, then Tribble just would have let up a long TD pass to a RB on a streak.

Thx for pointing that out about the zone. Its been awhile. I just remember Thomas being nonexistent and it seemed that Tribble was the guy they had on him the entire game. The only thing I like about Tribble is he has a knack for making plays somehow. But the measurables would prevent me from ever drafting the guy

What is your opions of Curtis Lofton, the ILB from Oklahoma. I think he is a better all around ILB then Connor. He is much better in pass coverage and hits like a freight train. Do you think he will still be there for us with the 57th overall pick?

Nice combination of teams in your sig :up:

I grew up in Newark :hi5:

I think the front office are considering him at 2a but you can view this actively as a race between John Beck and the other guys like Flacco and Henne. He who impresses David Lee, Ireland, Sparano and Parcells the most, wins. My money's on John Beck. Never underestimate John Beck's ability to work hard and impress people. He's thrown something like 4000 passes with David Lee. He could impress the coaches enough to not select Flacco or Henne. I'd bet on it, in fact.

To be honest, with the number of other needs, it wouldn't surprise me if another young QB isn't drafted till rounds 4-7. I think the earliest will be round 3.

Thx for pointing that out about the zone. Its been awhile. I just remember Thomas being nonexistent and it seemed that Tribble was the guy they had on him the entire game. The only thing I like about Tribble is he has a knack for making plays somehow. But the measurables would prevent me from ever drafting the guy

There's one play in the middle of the second quarter that stands out where Tribble had great coverage o Devin on a pass and it went incomplete. Otherwise, this game is all the Jamie Silva, Matt Ryan, and Kellen Davis show.

Kellen Davis just rushed from a three-man formation over LT on a 2nd & 2, put an inside spin on Gosder Cherilus that left him grasping for air, beat the left guard that tried to duck inside to handle Davis after he'd soundly beaten Cherilus, and then chased Matt Ryan to the sideline forcing an incomplete pass. It was a sick play.

It highlights the real problem with Kellen Davis. He can be whatever you want him to be but he can't be everything at once. Putting him at DE in obvious passing situations is absolutely taking the edge off his abilities as a TE. It is also taking the edge off his abilities as a DE because as I watch him rush I can't help but see a lot of Jason Taylor in him. Obviously he's got top tier speed off the edge for a RDE, but he also has the strength on that long frame, strength you really don't think he should have, and apparently a damn fine spin move.

A perfect example of what I'm talking about. Kellen Davis just played a handful of snaps as a pass rusher before Matt Ryan throws a pick. They come back on offense and on the first play, they call his number on a corner route. Three problems with the play. One, Brian Hoyer never once fooled Jamie Silva, not even for a split second. Two, the throw was a bit late, and a bit ahead of the tight end. Three, Kellen Davis didn't use his body to shield it that well. But, you know what? The guy's just been playing DE for a series and now you're going to go to him on a deep corner the very next play after taking on Gosder Cherilus and the LG on a double-team? I don't get that. Of course he's going to look a bit lax in terms of being physical and shielding the ball.

What do you guys think about Early Doucet? He always seems to make the tough catch, if he put on some weight do you think he compares to Anquan Boldin? Maybe he slips to our second 2 of even 3rd

There's one play in the middle of the second quarter that stands out where Tribble had great coverage o Devin on a pass and it went incomplete. Otherwise, this game is all the Jamie Silva, Matt Ryan, and Kellen Davis show.

Kellen Davis just rushed from a three-man formation over LT on a 2nd & 2, put an inside spin on Gosder Cherilus that left him grasping for air, beat the left guard that tried to duck inside to handle Davis after he'd soundly beaten Cherilus, and then chased Matt Ryan to the sideline forcing an incomplete pass. It was a sick play.

It highlights the real problem with Kellen Davis. He can be whatever you want him to be but he can't be everything at once. Putting him at DE in obvious passing situations is absolutely taking the edge off his abilities as a TE. It is also taking the edge off his abilities as a DE because as I watch him rush I can't help but see a lot of Jason Taylor in him. Obviously he's got top tier speed off the edge for a RDE, but he also has the strength on that long frame, strength you really don't think he should have, and apparently a damn fine spin move.
You point out the intriguing aspect of Davis. He's got the gifts to play both but by doing so he cant become great at either. He definitely reminds me a little of JT like you said and I wouldnt be cmpletely surprised if the team that drafts him converts him fulltime to DE. I think its 80% likely he'll be a TE but one never knows. Personally he comes across as great value froma physical point of view in the 3rd or 4th. I would be surprised if he goes 2nd

Back
Top Bottom