I would like to hear more opinions of CK and Boomer about our draft plans. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I would like to hear more opinions of CK and Boomer about our draft plans.

Boomer or CK , I still think we should be taking a strong look at Glen Dorsey, Fergie is just a stop gap dt., Starks could be or could be not what we need but a guy like Dorsey could be a game changer for us if healthy ( which I think he is ),some injurys seems to get overblowen alot. What do you guys think?

He's the x-factor at the top of the draft, no doubt. There has been talk about us drafting Ryan and the Long's and McFadden to a point. Absolute silence on Dorsey. We know that they have been doing copious research on him but you simply cannot rule us out of drafting the player I consider to be the best in this draft before he's even worked out. I think Chris and I both believe that.

He's the x-factor at the top of the draft, no doubt. There has been talk about us drafting Ryan and the Long's and McFadden to a point. Absolute silence on Dorsey. We know that they have been doing copious research on him but you simply cannot rule us out of drafting the player I consider to be the best in this draft before he's even worked out. I think Chris and I both believe that.

He is the one guy that can make our Defense very good in a short amount of time, I can see him commanding double teams that would free up our linebackers and giving our d-ends single blockers, that a lone would impact our defense right away.

It all depends on so many factors; what we do with pick 1 and what happens with Jason Taylor. Essentially Miami could easily take a QB like Brohm or Henne, a WR like Hardy or Caldwell or Sweed, a tight end like Bennett, a tackle like Collins or Baker, a guard like Albert if he falls, numerous ends or tackles who could play the 3-4 end, linebackers like Mayo, Lofton, etc. and a variety of cornerbacks starting with a prospect as good as Cason. It's so wide open.

Boomer,

What do you put the odds of at Brohm falling to us with our first pick in the 2nd? I've heard things ranging from very possible to no chance in hell.

Couple of questions
1. How are defenses today more complex compared to those of past 10 years? 34 two gap is 34 two gap. 52 is 52. Stunts are stunts. Has there even been a revolutionary change in defensive theory since the Tampa 2 (which is a modified 43 cover 2 look anyway).

2. LT obsolete? Ask Tom Brady after Matt Light GOT OWNED in SB XLII. But that I guess brings me to a better question; does a team need a Tony Boselli more than a Bruce Smith or is Bruce Smith more important than Tony Boselli?

I believe its gray between which is more valuable, like a chicken/chicken egg argument.

3. What did Joe Thomas have that Ferguson lacks (besides an unspellable name)?

I guess I would argue that with the 3-4 defense making a comeback, there has been a lot of change in that particular defense with respect to its 4-3/3-4 looks, the spacing of the linebackers, the 1-gap/2-gap responsibilities, etc. Look at the defense that Wade Phillips installed in San Diego and later Dallas. That's an example. He puts his OLBs out wider, making wider angles and increasing the likelihood of them getting blocked by a RB. Today's 4-3 defenses are dominated, for the most part, by the Tampa Two/Cover Two which utilizes smaller, quicker defensive linemen and a lot of stunts and twists.

It isn't so much an innovation as it is a change. These things tend to go in cycles. Sure enough, eventually things will cycle back toward the 4-3 RDE that can be relied upon to dominate a LT in a straight up rush all day long.

I never said the LT is obsolete. I said the skill set of the franchise LT might have changed a little bit. It could easily change again. D'Brickashaw Ferguson looked like an absolutely dominant pass protector at the college level, but everyone knew he couldn't run block worth a damn. Joe Thomas, on the other hand, was a fantastic run blocker with very quick feet and the ability to get out to blocks, and the smarts to identify which people to get out to. However, in straight up pass protection, he lacked the long arms or anchor that I would have wanted to see in a franchise LT. Yet, he gets to the Browns and he's practically a Pro Bowler as a rookie, while Ferguson is getting dominated, and continues to be a liability in run blocking. Many people, myself and Boomer included, admitted that Joe Thomas was not the pass protector that D'Brickashaw Ferguson was, and was not as ideal a prospect.

I've seen some scouts talk about this very thing. None of it changes the fact though that Long is an accomplished pass protector at the college level with a better resume in that regard than any other tackle in the draft, he's got a blessed body with fantastic first steps out of his stance, is a monster run blocker because of his tenacity, strength and his brain, to tell you the truth. He's a very smart player. There will be games when he comes across an Osi Umenyiora and gets dominated and you'll be very frustrated with him. But then there will be 10 more games you'll be pretty happy with that left side. That's what I'm thinking.

Hey fellas, the second round picks will be a little tricky, being that we have so many needs. I can see us drafting a cb. with the first pick in the second and if we get lucky a good lt. with the last of the second rd. picks, who can you guys see that might be availible at those positions that can help us.

Thoughts on Carl Nicks, I've seen parts of one game.

Everything, I've read has him; mean streak, quick feet, quick hands, severe lack technique(poor coaching?)

Character red flags all over the place. Scouts question his work ethic. They question his attitude. They question his ability to stay out of jail, to be frank.

Otherwise an accomplished tackle at the college level, fantastic run blocker with a blessed body and a great resume as a pass protector...another Tony Ugoh? Possibly. But the signs say his character will always be a hindrance. You'd love to think he can up and change that one day, but how many people do you know up and change their personality entirely? I dunno. That kind of guy I'd consider in the third or fourth round...but not before that.

Character red flags all over the place. Scouts question his work ethic. They question his attitude. They question his ability to stay out of jail, to be frank.

Otherwise an accomplished tackle at the college level, fantastic run blocker with a blessed body and a great resume as a pass protector...another Tony Ugoh? Possibly. But the signs say his character will always be a hindrance. You'd love to think he can up and change that one day, but how many people do you know up and change their personality entirely? I dunno. That kind of guy I'd consider in the third or fourth round...but not before that.

Is he basically Marcus Thomas in this draft?

do we have interest in quentin groves if we take Jake Long one, and groves should fall to the second round, maybe if there is a first round "run" on OT's

That's a distinct possibility, but can we count on Quentin Groves being available at #32?

Take the sack stats in 2007 aside. He had four healthy games and in those healthy games he had 2 sacks, 6 TFLs and like 18 QB pressures. After that, he dislocated his toes and by the time he came back he wasn't even really capable of starting and playing a full game. He was relegated to part time duty. When healthy, he has fantastic explosion and speed, a strong upper body, and to be honest I can't help but wonder if he and Vernon Gholston are on the same level.

Jake Long and Quentin Groves would make me happy. Chris Long and Anthony Collins would also make me happy, though...maybe happier. I want to see more tape of Anthony Collins. Hard to find the time.

Speaking of finding the time to watch more film. Today's Good Friday and the markets are off day, and so am I...I'm re-watching the Michigan State/Boston College game for fun. Matt Ryan is such a hot topic nowadays. But I also wanted to get a look at Kellen Davis, Devin Thomas, and Gosder Cherilus.

I have to say...I can definitely see why Miami are interested in Kellen Davis. The guy just smoked Gosder Cherilus on an outside speed rush as a defensive end...and he's a tight end by trade, lol. Forget tight end, I want to see this guy work some linebacker drills.

CK, appreciate your insight and I'd be curious to know your thoughts on Flacco and whether you think the front office is seriously considerng him at 2a.

Based on the latest reviews he evidently won't make it to our 2b - do you agree?

I think the front office are considering him at 2a but you can view this actively as a race between John Beck and the other guys like Flacco and Henne. He who impresses David Lee, Ireland, Sparano and Parcells the most, wins. My money's on John Beck. Never underestimate John Beck's ability to work hard and impress people. He's thrown something like 4000 passes with David Lee. He could impress the coaches enough to not select Flacco or Henne. I'd bet on it, in fact.

More on Kellen Davis. I've seen him play Tight End before and haven't always come off blown away but he really is blowing me away in this game. He lopes down the field so fast it is easy for him to beat Jo-Lonn Dunbar and other linebackers, he high points the ball PHYSICALLY like a tight end should, has that twisting, jumping athleticism for him...he's taking a TE end-around and running well with it...and then you know what? They put him in for a speed rush on Gosder Cherilus and he outright beats Gosder.

I wanna see this guy play TE when he only has to play 50 snaps in a game, from a stamina standpoint, and I wanna see this guy play TE when it's the only position he has to focus on...or heck, I want to see this guy in some linebacker drills. He defines a physical specimen and where some people would say that he's one of those underachieving types that doesn't deliver on the promises his blessed body makes, I would honestly wonder if that isn't the fault of his coaching and the situations he's been placed. He's such a compelling athlete that MSU seems to be unable to decide what to do with the man and it may have proved to be a hindrance.

Of course in this game, it's not a hindrance at all. There he is, blocking a stunting defensive end on a toss play and sticking with the block from snap to whistle to where it looks like his man might make a play on the ball but no because Davis resets and sticks it to him a second time. There he is, high pointing a touchdown pass on a perfectly run seam route. There he is, blocking a defensive back 10 yards upfield. There he is, rushing over All American Gosder Cherilus, getting his hands on him and then breaking on a textbook outside rush and actually threatening Matt Ryan, forcing him to throw the ball early. There he is, high pointing a pass to the flats that got challenged by a linerbacker, and not only holding onto the ball but making sure he gets far enough to move the sticks. There he is, taking a handoff on a TE end-around and actually gaining like 6-7 yards through traffic.

I love that versatility and now I no longer wonder why Parcells has shown so much interest in him.

More on Kellen Davis. I've seen him play Tight End before and haven't always come off blown away but he really is blowing me away in this game. He lopes down the field so fast it is easy for him to beat Jo-Lonn Dunbar and other linebackers, he high points the ball PHYSICALLY like a tight end should, has that twisting, jumping athleticism for him...he's taking a TE end-around and running well with it...and then you know what? They put him in for a speed rush on Gosder Cherilus and he outright beats Gosder.

I wanna see this guy play TE when he only has to play 50 snaps in a game, from a stamina standpoint, and I wanna see this guy play TE when it's the only position he has to focus on...or heck, I want to see this guy in some linebacker drills. He defines a physical specimen and where some people would say that he's one of those underachieving types that doesn't deliver on the promises his blessed body makes, I would honestly wonder if that isn't the fault of his coaching and the situations he's been placed. He's such a compelling athlete that MSU seems to be unable to decide what to do with the man and it may have proved to be a hindrance.

Of course in this game, it's not a hindrance at all. There he is, blocking a stunting defensive end on a toss play and sticking with the block from snap to whistle to where it looks like his man might make a play on the ball but no because Davis resets and sticks it to him a second time. There he is, high pointing a touchdown pass on a perfectly run seam route. There he is, blocking a defensive back 10 yards upfield. There he is, rushing over All American Gosder Cherilus, getting his hands on him and then breaking on a textbook outside rush and actually threatening Matt Ryan, forcing him to throw the ball early. There he is, high pointing a pass to the flats that got challenged by a linerbacker, and not only holding onto the ball but making sure he gets far enough to move the sticks. There he is, taking a handoff on a TE end-around and actually gaining like 6-7 yards through traffic.

I love that versatility and now I no longer wonder why Parcells has shown so much interest in him.
What's also interesting about that game is Dejuan Tribble absolutely owns Devin Thomas. I think Thomas had one catch, dont remember, its been awhile

Back
Top Bottom