I would like to hear more opinions of CK and Boomer about our draft plans. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I would like to hear more opinions of CK and Boomer about our draft plans.

1. If Beck were in this draft, he would not carry as high a grade as Matt Ryan. I know there aren't too many people that like to hear that, but it's true. In the end, Matt Ryan is taller and younger. They both have functionally the same arm and around the same accuracy. They're both capable of throwing fast balls but their accuracy tends to come down when they're focusing on putting the mustard on their passes. The turnover issue for Matt Ryan has been vastly overblown. People act like interceptions per game is more important than interceptions per pass. It isn't. When you account for the sheer volume of passes he threw in 2007, his interception percentage is like a 2.9% or something like that. A little high, to be sure, but not outrageous. Anything below 4% is pro caliber. Tony Romo in college was in the high 3's I believe. He turned out ok. You can rein in a guy that has a knack for taking chances successfully but also takes a few too many (Favre). You usually can't teach a guy that is ultra-safe to take more chances and become a more effective quarterback (ahem, Harrington). If anything bothers me about Matt Ryan, it is more how his yards per completion and yards per attempt have been very ranged with his accuracy percentage. I'd have maybe liked to see him in 2007 take a step up both in accuracy AND in yards per completion, rather than ranging between sacrificing one in favor of the other. The thing with Matt Ryan is...his draft stock has gone too high. Is a taller, younger John Beck worth the #1 overall? I don't think so. Not in my book. It's worth more than the #40 overall that Beck went at, but not as high as #1 overall. Also, people way too conveniently disregard height and size in a QB around here...usually in support of Beck. It is important and it definitely has its place in the valuation of a quarterback. Height can make things a lot easier for a QB. For every 6'2" quarterback people bring up that has been successful despite his height (such as Favre), there is probably a 6'5" or 6'6" quarterback that would probably not have been successful had it not been for his height (such as Derek Anderson). In Beck's case, I'm mostly concerned about ball security.

2. I would say from Jake Long to Sam Baker is a significant drop. I use to be a lot more down on Jake Long than I am now. The bottom line is he's got the body, he's got the tools, the strength in spades, the quick feet and the resume and I may have just been overthinking this one. Some people overthought Tony Ugoh and Joe Thomas and paid for it (myself included). Sam Baker doesn't have Jake Long in any of those areas. He doesn't have as quick feet, doesn't have nearly as good a body, doesn't have the same resume, or the same strength...nor the balance in his game. One thing I am starting to think in the wake of the D'Brickashaw Ferguson disaster is that if a guy is a one-dimensional player in college, he doesn't even have much of a chance of being a one-dimensional player in the pros. It's something I have to re-evaluate. Sort of like how they say there are no shut-down corners in the NFL anymore, there may be no shut-down pass protectors at left tackle in the NFL anymore. The old guard names like Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Jon Ogden and Tony Boselli...well, Boselli's been out of football for years, Ogden has told the Ravens to assume he's retiring, Pace went through a significant injury and both he and Jones are getting older now...it's very possible that the premium LTs in the NFL are undergoing a change. They look more like Joe Thomas than D'Brickashaw Ferguson. The "island" left tackle nowadays might be more of a myth, with the complex blitz packages defenses are sending on a regular basis nowadays. Anyway, where I'm going with all of this is...I thought Baker was a bit one-dimensional in college...and that makes me more uncomfortable about his pro prospects right now, than it would have a year ago.

3. Right now our ILBs are scheduled to be Channing Crowder and Reggie Torbor...and yes, that is a bit scary. But in this Parcells-style jumbo 3-4, the ILBs are taking on 300+ pound bodies on a regular basis and mixing it up. I think there's a little less opportunity for the ILBs to really shine anyway. The OLBs have to be stellar...and that's why they tossed big money at Calvin Pace, and will probably draft Chris Long.

Totally agree with this last statement!!

It seems like there will be a bevy of talent for us to choose from at 32. Have you heard of us looking at anyone in specific?
Furthermore, I really am starting to like ILBs Lofton and Mayo. They seem like they could be a good tandem with Torbor. WHat are your thoughts on these guys? And give a choice between one of these, a CB like Cason or maybe Justin King, a DE like Groves, WR like Manningham or Hardy or a QB like Brohm, who might you choose?
What are the names you guys want most to be available (realistically) for us at the 32 spot basically. And also for the rarely mentioned 2b.
Thanks for taking the time to drop on by here CK and Boom, appreciate the hard work and insight :)

CK/Boomer, What are all of your thoughts on DE Kendalll Langford?

I hear him being compared to New Englands' DE's, Seymour/Ty Warren, and he seems to be considered a 2nd-3rd rounder from what I gather.

That's an awful friendly comparison. I wouldn't go there. He's got the body but I don't know that he has the moves. I've watched him play and he looks like he can play with the big boys, but I didn't see a difference-maker. We'll see.

:lol: Thats a great way to phrase it. I dont see us drafting him with our 3rd. I think we'll pick up a cornerback like Justin King or Charles Godfrey but I think he could be a possibility with our 4th even as TE. I think whichever way he goes he's still in that raw clay mode where what you see is not what you're going to get two years down the road. I think he could become an amazing red zone target and 3rd down option as a TE. I also think he has some natural skills that would translate into a very intriguing DE/ OLB prospect. He definitely intrigues me and I'll follow his career closely

The guy I watched on video earlier today would be worth a second/third round pick...if you settle him at one position and stop giving him 100 snaps a game.

2 part question for you guys since i respect both of your opinions and hope to be seen so to speak until i can afford to read what you really write in VIP. I am the prez of the Branden Albert fan club (i have to hype him as such). What do you guys think of him? Also I am really high on the 6th rounder in my sig. Do you think he will be there then and what are your thoughts on him?

The guy I watched on video earlier today would be worth a second/third round pick...if you settle him at one position and stop giving him 100 snaps a game.

CK, you've seen K. Davis at TE, is your opinion that he may run a bit to upright, for me, when I watched him he looked like a LB that picked up afumble, back ramrod straight, very stiff running routes.

what say you?

CK, you've seen K. Davis at TE, is your opinion that he may run a bit to upright, for me, when I watched him he looked like a LB that picked up afumble, back ramrod straight, very stiff running routes.

what say you?

I kind of see what you're saying but at the same time, with his speed and athletic ability, put together with his blocking ability, soft hands and coordination, it's not going to matter a whole lot.

The only thing is, he DOES look so much like Jason Taylor at DE that you might want him there instead of TE.

CK..and Boomer;

As of now I'm leaning towards this;

1- J. Long

2a..Flacco

2b..Carl Nicks

3...M. Howard...this could be a good spot for a trade down

If not Flacco at 2a...then I can see C. Campbell

CK and Boomer - given our roster situation at OT, it seems to me that if we don't take Jake Long at #1, we are almost forced to take the best OT at 2a. Do you foresee a possible "run" on OT's late in round 1 that could be an issue for us at 2a in this scenario? Also, if we didn't pick Jake Long and a great non-OT prospect falls to 2a, could we still grab him and get a decent OT at 2b? Thanks.

Ck or Boom, not that I see this happening, but it is possible:

If we draft Jake Long at #1, and Branden Albert somehow slips to us at #32, what is the talent along the D-line and OLB like through the rest of the draft? Basically, if we take care of our O-line in round one, can we still plug the other gaps with quality players?

All these questions are fine and dandy, but lets get to the goods.

Give us 5 names (that may or may not surprise us) that the Fins are heavily interested in.

Thanks guys :)

1. If Beck were in this draft, he would not carry as high a grade as Matt Ryan. I know there aren't too many people that like to hear that, but it's true. In the end, Matt Ryan is taller and younger. They both have functionally the same arm and around the same accuracy. They're both capable of throwing fast balls but their accuracy tends to come down when they're focusing on putting the mustard on their passes. The turnover issue for Matt Ryan has been vastly overblown. People act like interceptions per game is more important than interceptions per pass. It isn't. When you account for the sheer volume of passes he threw in 2007, his interception percentage is like a 2.9% or something like that. A little high, to be sure, but not outrageous. Anything below 4% is pro caliber. Tony Romo in college was in the high 3's I believe. He turned out ok. You can rein in a guy that has a knack for taking chances successfully but also takes a few too many (Favre). You usually can't teach a guy that is ultra-safe to take more chances and become a more effective quarterback (ahem, Harrington). If anything bothers me about Matt Ryan, it is more how his yards per completion and yards per attempt have been very ranged with his accuracy percentage. I'd have maybe liked to see him in 2007 take a step up both in accuracy AND in yards per completion, rather than ranging between sacrificing one in favor of the other. The thing with Matt Ryan is...his draft stock has gone too high. Is a taller, younger John Beck worth the #1 overall? I don't think so. Not in my book. It's worth more than the #40 overall that Beck went at, but not as high as #1 overall. Also, people way too conveniently disregard height and size in a QB around here...usually in support of Beck. It is important and it definitely has its place in the valuation of a quarterback. Height can make things a lot easier for a QB. For every 6'2" quarterback people bring up that has been successful despite his height (such as Favre), there is probably a 6'5" or 6'6" quarterback that would probably not have been successful had it not been for his height (such as Derek Anderson). In Beck's case, I'm mostly concerned about ball security.

2. I would say from Jake Long to Sam Baker is a significant drop. I use to be a lot more down on Jake Long than I am now. The bottom line is he's got the body, he's got the tools, the strength in spades, the quick feet and the resume and I may have just been overthinking this one. Some people overthought Tony Ugoh and Joe Thomas and paid for it (myself included). Sam Baker doesn't have Jake Long in any of those areas. He doesn't have as quick feet, doesn't have nearly as good a body, doesn't have the same resume, or the same strength...nor the balance in his game. One thing I am starting to think in the wake of the D'Brickashaw Ferguson disaster is that if a guy is a one-dimensional player in college, he doesn't even have much of a chance of being a one-dimensional player in the pros. It's something I have to re-evaluate. Sort of like how they say there are no shut-down corners in the NFL anymore, there may be no shut-down pass protectors at left tackle in the NFL anymore. The old guard names like Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Jon Ogden and Tony Boselli...well, Boselli's been out of football for years, Ogden has told the Ravens to assume he's retiring, Pace went through a significant injury and both he and Jones are getting older now...it's very possible that the premium LTs in the NFL are undergoing a change. They look more like Joe Thomas than D'Brickashaw Ferguson. The "island" left tackle nowadays might be more of a myth, with the complex blitz packages defenses are sending on a regular basis nowadays. Anyway, where I'm going with all of this is...I thought Baker was a bit one-dimensional in college...and that makes me more uncomfortable about his pro prospects right now, than it would have a year ago.

3. Right now our ILBs are scheduled to be Channing Crowder and Reggie Torbor...and yes, that is a bit scary. But in this Parcells-style jumbo 3-4, the ILBs are taking on 300+ pound bodies on a regular basis and mixing it up. I think there's a little less opportunity for the ILBs to really shine anyway. The OLBs have to be stellar...and that's why they tossed big money at Calvin Pace, and will probably draft Chris Long.

1. I disagree that Ryan is as accurate as Beck. When I watch Ryan's games he doesn't hit people in stride like Beck does. He makes his receivers make harder catches (like Harrington did, but not as bad). I think that hurts his completion percentage particularly on the longer passes. And I don't think height is much of an issue if your QB is at least 6'2". Anything above that only provides very marginal advantages (if any). The age is a downgrade as far as potential longevity but I think there are other factors that affect so I don't place as much importance on that as other factors (ie. accuracy). I do believe that Ryan is a good prospect but he's not great and certainly no more worthy of being the #1 overall than Beck was. All in all I believe that Beck has a slightly higher chance of NFL success.

2. I agree that there is a drop of from Long to the other Ts. I'm starting to believe that he could have a Joe Thomas-like affect on our line. I think you make a great point about the skill set requirements for LTs being in flux. And while I still believe that C. Long is the most likely choice I would be every bit as happy with J. Long.

3. I'm worried about the ILB position. If we don't take an ILB early then I think they may be planning on just using bodies there to plug up the middle and aren't really looking for playmakers at this time. I personally would really like Dan Conner at 2a (should last this )or 2b (probably won't last this long).

I must admit that I value those guys opinion more than any publication that I have read, so fellas please give us little guys your best evaluation of of the draft in a Dolfins point of view. I will just sit back and listen now.

When the topic is strickly football, I do as well. :up:

Back
Top Bottom