Ian Rapaport - Russell Wilson wants to explore trade market/ 49ers comminted to Lance, will trade Jimmy G in offseason | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ian Rapaport - Russell Wilson wants to explore trade market/ 49ers comminted to Lance, will trade Jimmy G in offseason

Who would you want as Dolphins QB in 2022

• Tua

Votes: 172 64.7%
  • Jimmy G

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Wilson

Votes: 59 22.2%
  • Winston

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Draft a new one

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other*

Votes: 16 6.0%

• Total voters
Winston is the only one I see that might be realistic otherbthan Cousins or Jimmy.

Personally I would make it an honest competition. If Tua is that good he can beat out Winston, if Winston is that good and fixed he will beat out Tua.

It's actually kind of perfect.
I guess it depends if one is taking a one year view, or a multi year approach.

I guess it depends if one is taking a one year view, or a multi year approach.

I think even if you're taking a multi year approach with the team, you're taking a one year approach with the QB situation. Either someone shows it this year or you're moving on.

So I think someone like Winston fits that perfectly.

I think even if you're taking a multi year approach with the team, you're taking a one year approach with the QB situation. Either someone shows it this year or you're moving on.

So I think someone like Winston fits that perfectly.
TBH, if that's the case, I'll give Tua the shot. I think Winston is what he is at this point. I'm not sure about Tua.

Jimmy G throws horrible passes behind an elite OL. Imagine him behind ours. He would be a downgrade from Tua, hard pass.

Wilson could end up in Denver. They are going to aggressively pursue a QB. We have no real reason to do that next season. Stick with Tua. Give him a real OL, a RB and real OC and then we can judge if the guy is our longterm solution or not.

Rookie QB contracts are insanely valuable to build teams around.
Rookie QB contracts are insanely valuable to build teams around.
^
This.

TBH, if that's the case, I'll give Tua the shot. I think Winston is what he is at this point. I'm not sure about Tua.

Well that's sort of my point, if Tua can't beat out Winston that also tells you what you need to know.

Plus Winstom really was playing like a top 5 QB. I'm not going to say it's all Paytom because their other QB certainly weren't playing that well.

Well that's sort of my point, if Tua can't beat out Winston that also tells you what you need to know.

Plus Winstom really was playing like a top 5 QB. I'm not going to say it's all Paytom because their other QB certainly weren't playing that well.
let me ask you this.

Do you believe the type of offense best suited to Tua is the same that would best suit Winston?

The reason I ask is because it never made much sense to me to have the starter and backup have the complete opposite skill set.

I mean if you are just plain done with Tua, I can understand that.

I may be biased as well, because I have never thought that much of Winston, regardless of what he did in less than a handful of games last year.

let me ask you this.

Do you believe the type of offense best suited to Tua is the same that would best suit Winston?

The reason I ask is because it never made much sense to me to have the starter and backup have the complete opposite skill set.

I may be biased as well, because I have never thought that much of Winston, regardless of what he did in less than a handful of games last year.

To be honest, I do think Winston could run our offense.

The RPO isn't the majority of our playbook, so I'd say that you'd probably call less of that for Winston but keep the same playbook in general with him. Granted, with a new HC we don't even know the playbook at all.

Also i think with Tua you're always going to have issues finding a backup that fits the offense exactly as he does.

Not just because he's a left ly and you're flipping everything no matter what, buy because his strengths aren't necessarily the standard prototype strengths.

So even if he becomes the #1 QB in the NFL I think it's always going to be a struggle to find a backup who can seamlessly run the same sets.

Jamis Winston, who's miles ahead of Tua, better on every level

That should answer your question right there.
No, it just raises questions. Better based on what?

Is it his career 87 passer rating?

How about only playing 16 games in 3 of 7 years?

His 33-44 record?

How about going 7-9 on a stacked team with excellent coaching?

let me ask you this.

This

We will suffer greatly with Jimmy. Being out here in cali i see alot of niners game. That guy will break your heart. If you think tua has untimely turnovers this dude takes the cake. Things will be going well then this dude will have a bonehead turnover. Why do you think the niners are turning to a highly unproven qb instead of him? I would rather roll with tua and thats saying alot
Good summary. Garoppolo will look extremely proficient and accurate other than two throws per game. He often misses a wide open guy 25+ yards downfield, and he'll force an interception. They come in key segments of the game. Far more often than not those misses are toward the sideline. It will forever baffle me why NFL teams insist on designing so many plays toward the sideline, or why quarterbacks choose to go there. On Monday night they gave Kyler Murray's season long stats of nearly 80% completion percentage on passes within the hash marks, and the Rams allowing 70% completions there.

Not exactly surprising. As a gambler whenever I need to stop a key pass play the one thing I don't want the opponent to do is throw decisively over the middle. I am begging for them to try a lob down the sideline. Be my guest. I almost always let out a big sigh of relief when that ball is in the air, knowing the odds are in my favor.

Garoppolo has an underrated arm. Very similar trajectory and pace to Burrow. Just slightly weaker. Whenever I watch the 49er offense and project McDaniel to the Dolphins I have my doubts if Tua can make those deep crossing routes the 49ers rely on, like the ones that bailed out the Rams game in the season finale.

let me ask you this.

You are entirely correct. That was the problem in Tua’s rookie season. Gailey was hired to be the OC for Fitzpatrick and Fitzpatrick‘s skill set at the QB position was completely different than Tua’s.

Gailey even admitted that he had to change the offense and call different plays with Tua in the game than when Fitzpatrick was in the game.

Having a backup who has similar strengths as the starting QB makes it easier for the OC to continue to run his offense than adapt a new offense during the season in an attempt to fit the strengths of the backup.

Mariota would probably be the best free agent QB to bring in and backup up Tua.He can run an RPO offense and they really wouldn’t have to change the offense at all if he had to come in and play.

Back
Top Bottom