Ian Rapaport - Russell Wilson wants to explore trade market/ 49ers comminted to Lance, will trade Jimmy G in offseason | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ian Rapaport - Russell Wilson wants to explore trade market/ 49ers comminted to Lance, will trade Jimmy G in offseason

Who would you want as Dolphins QB in 2022

• Tua

Votes: 172 64.7%
  • Jimmy G

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Wilson

Votes: 59 22.2%
  • Winston

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Draft a new one

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other*

Votes: 16 6.0%

• Total voters
My theory is that football is complicated and most casual fans don’t have any interest in actually understanding it, so they obsess over QBs as a shorthand for offense.

Doing what you say—fixing the OL, RB, WRs—and what you don’t say—fixing the scheme and playcalling—is boring and complicated. A casual fan has no interest whatsoever in the difference between Jesse Davis and Morgan Moses. Nor can they even decipher that difference.

But everyone can recognize the difference between a 300 yard passer vs. a guy struggling to find open men and getting sacked. The casual fan has no idea what’s causing the 300 yards passing vs. the guy running for his life and struggling to complete passes, but they’re like “hey, we need the 300 yard passing guy!” as if we’d also throw for 300 yards every game if we had him.

This will blow a lot of folks’ minds, but the Dolphins have been terrible on offense for 20 years not really because of our QBs. The common thread is bad OL play and bad WRs. We’ve actually had pretty decent QB play for the last decade-plus, from Pennington to now.

Agree. wholeheartedly w/ your post.

p.s. The difference between MM & JD is; MM has a modicum of talent which even the casual fan s/b able to see

Rodgers would make Miami dolphins great again..
Yes we would make playoff w Aaron Rodger..win playoff game too.. GB without Rodgers is 6-11 teams at best..
Have you considered how much better GB might have been with Tua s opposed to Rogers?

Seriously. I'd also be interested in whether those losses were also against a 300 yard passer.

In any game where two QB do it, one is going to lose and manipulate the stat. Or maybe winner finished with....GASP....275 yards and the loser 305 yards.

I have no hard numbers, but id imagine taking those type of games away would leave you with somewhere from a 75% to 85% win rate.
It doesnt matter, this simply shows how much total yards isnt a very good predictor for winning in the NFL...

If for example you raise the threshold to 350+ yards(which yields 38 games), you're still losing 28% of your games, no matter what the other QB does...

If you go effeciency, like QB rating, which isnt the best but very simple to work with, you can see how it correlates to win% alot more...

Games where QB rating is 100+(229 games): 75% win%
QB rating 120+(112 games): 83% win%
QB rating 130+(43 games): 89% win%

If you want to win NFL games, you're looking for efficiency alot more than totals...

It doesnt matter, this simply shows how much total yards isnt a very good predictor for winning in the NFL...

If for example you raise the threshold to 350+ yards(which yields 38 games), you're still losing 28% of your games, no matter what the other QB does...

If you go effeciency, like QB rating, which isnt the best but very simple to work with, you can see how it correlates to win% alot more...

Games where QB rating is 100+(229 games): 75% win%
QB rating 120+(112 games): 83% win%
QB rating 130+(43 games): 89% win%

If you want to win NFL games, you're looking for efficiency alot more than totals...

I don't think anyone would debate that yardage is the end all be all, or even that it's the best indicator. If that's the debate, I'd agree with you.

Doesn't mean that more yardage doesn't also correlate to winning. There's a balance in everything between the QB and team around him.

Personally I find rating to be a measure of the passing offense as a whole and not just the QB though. Then again so are passing yards.

I don't think anyone would debate that yardage is the end all be all, or even that it's the best indicator. If that's the debate, I'd agree with you.

Doesn't mean that more yardage doesn't also correlate to winning. There's a balance in everything between the QB and team around him.

Personally I find rating to be a measure of the passing offense as a whole and not just the QB though. Then again so are passing yards.
I’ll take 300yd passing games every day, it absolutely means more chances of scoring, and as posted you have a 2/3s of a better chance of winning.

My theory is that football is complicated and most casual fans don’t have any interest in actually understanding it, so they obsess over QBs as a shorthand for offense.

Doing what you say—fixing the OL, RB, WRs—and what you don’t say—fixing the scheme and playcalling—is boring and complicated. A casual fan has no interest whatsoever in the difference between Jesse Davis and Morgan Moses. Nor can they even decipher that difference.

But everyone can recognize the difference between a 300 yard passer vs. a guy struggling to find open men and getting sacked. The casual fan has no idea what’s causing the 300 yards passing vs. the guy running for his life and struggling to complete passes, but they’re like “hey, we need the 300 yard passing guy!” as if we’d also throw for 300 yards every game if we had him.

This will blow a lot of folks’ minds, but the Dolphins have been terrible on offense for 20 years not really because of our QBs. The common thread is bad OL play and bad WRs. We’ve actually had pretty decent QB play for the last decade-plus, from Pennington to now.
This is a great post and very well said. You are 💯% correct.

I’ll take 300yd passing games every day, it absolutely means more chances of scoring, and as posted you have a 2/3s of a better chance of winning.

Me too, just saying there are some circumstances it can be deceiving just like any stat.

Tua.

Jimmy G is the worst 4th quarter QB / won’t go anywhere w him.

Wilson is getting old - not sure he’s the guy he once was.

Stick with Tua. We're going to have a new head coach and potentially a lot of staff and roster turnover. This is going to be somewhat of an evaluation season anyways.

If he doesn't improve and take command of the team and offense, then we'll have the ammo in 2023 with multiple first round picks to go get our guy if necessary.

I wouldn't be mad at Russ if we kept Flo, but I don't know what our timeline is now and he's getting up there.

Tua or 2023 rook. Sticking to it.

Back
Top Bottom