I'd like to see Tua here... (rookie mini camp) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'd like to see Tua here... (rookie mini camp)

He threw dropped interceptions left and right more than any QB I've ever watched before.
I think last season's version of Josh Allen might have been the luckiest I've ever seen in that regard. I'm expecting a massive regression to the norm with both his INTs-per-attempt and his accuracy this season.

Tua has been working out for weeks with his wrs in fairness.

But it also sounds like this is gonna be less field stuff and more practice
Its more get acclimated.

There are talks about what is expected, where things are, both at the facility, and the area. There are ppl there to help rookies with lodging, transportation, etc if that's what they need. There are lectures about nutrition, investments, protecting themselves from cons, and a lot of other stuff.

It isn't meant to install the system in any way.

I know you like to beat on Tua just to beat on him and that was the main motivation of starting this thread. An excuse to create another anti-Tua thread.

But if you were really sincere about wanting Tua to go to a rookie mini camp in his second season because he "missed last rookie mini-camp", why didn't you mention Jackson, Hunt, Igbinoghene, Kindley, etc.?

The truth is that Tua is not a rookie. He is the starting quarterback and despite what some want to say or the media wants to paint the picture as, he had a very normal rookie season. Actually an above average rookie season. He is working harder this offseason, probably harder than anyone on the team.

A player of Tua's caliber does not need to attend a rookie mini camp
I agree with this. I admire reading your posts the 2 decades we been in this site. He is a starting qb not fighting for his spot. I posted the National title game to remind people of Tua and his leadership skills.

I know you like to beat on Tua just to beat on him and that was the main motivation of starting this thread. An excuse to create another anti-Tua thread.

But if you were really sincere about wanting Tua to go to a rookie mini camp in his second season because he "missed last rookie mini-camp", why didn't you mention Jackson, Hunt, Igbinoghene, Kindley, etc.?

The truth is that Tua is not a rookie. He is the starting quarterback and despite what some want to say or the media wants to paint the picture as, he had a very normal rookie season. Actually an above average rookie season. He is working harder this offseason, probably harder than anyone on the team.

With all due respect, Tua had anything but a "very normal rookie season".

• He was coming off a major, career threatening injury
  • He had no off season training program
  • He had no OTA's
  • He had no normal interactions with his WR's until official practices started
  • He had limited work with the #1's until he was named the starter which was 8 games in.
  • With COVID protocols and all the NFL rules that went with it Tua never had a real rookie season.

I don't think he had a normal, average or above average rookie season, due to all the circumstances I listed above...

absolutely. That Arizona game made me a believer, he went toe to toe with Murray and there is no doubt in my mind he would have led the team to another score if needed.
Also, if we are counting dropped INT's, can we count dropped passes, too?
One game against a lousy defense made you a believer? Toe to toe with Murray? Our defense went toe to toe with Murray. My goodness. The problem with Tua is his max potential was reached at Alabama, like most Alabama QB's. Saban squeezes all he can out of them. Tua, last year, was Tua. I said it when he was drafted and I'll say it until he proves me wrong...he's average. He holds the ball too long, has a weak NFL arm, and is just not the prospect people think he was, regardless of the injury.

Everyone was anointing him the next coming and Burrow was a better pick regardless of injury. I want a guy that's been through it, had tough times, had to grind a bit, and not just gone into the best situation in the country and won. Hell, I even like Mac Jones better. He went to Bama and earned it. Also, I want a guy that physically has an upside. Tua is just an average-sized guy with below-average height.

Facts are facts, the odds are truly stacked against him. Now, I'm sure you're going to say "what about Drew Brees?" He's a damn anomaly and Tua's not in his class. Sorry guys but it's not gonna happen. He's a unicorn. Of the top 30 passers of all time, all of 3 are under 6'2" tall. That would be Brees, the amazing Fran Tarkenton, and Dave Krieg. In this day and age, if you're going to be under 6'2, you better have another skill set and Tua cannot run, certainly cannot throw on the run, and cannot think to make the plays needed with his legs like a Kyler Murray can.

I will be the first to say I was wrong if I am but for those putting this greatness label on him before he's even been average, that's laughable. And no, he was not even average as a rookie. He was statistically and by the metrics, one of the worst QBs in the league.

The slate is clean with Tua. It's a new season and its not really a positive sign that the leader of the team who played like stir-fried sh*t isn't attending a rookie mini-camp that he did so well in last season.

All that to say, if I wanted to call Tua a stinking a** bum, I would call him a stinking a** bum.

I wouldn't give any wiggle room as to where my intentions lay. I don't flip, flop, or cater to weak fish whom I imagine posting in floral shorts, a too small Tua tank top, and some aqua Crocs.

Last edited:
People have to remember that Flo and his staffore than likely told Tua to play it safe and don't turn the ball over. They probably ran quick outs or slants due to the offensive line. I believe the training wheels will come off this season. I also believe with the added playmakers added to the team, Tua will show what he is capable of. He also didn't have to spend most of his off season rehabbing a major injury. Perhaps he is a lot stronger and wiser due to being into the system for a year now.
Yep, this all day. Tua was Ina different situation than the other rookie qbs. He had to manage the game at a high caliber. That's really impressive to throw for only 5 ints. It's his team now and let's see what he's got. He is a Dolphins player and I will support him until I see him enough times to realize he is a bust.

One game against a lousy defense made you a believer? Toe to toe with Murray? Our defense went toe to toe with Murray. My goodness. The problem with Tua is his max potential was reached at Alabama, like most Alabama QB's. Saban squeezes all he can out of them. Tua, last year, was Tua. I said it when he was drafted and I'll say it until he proves me wrong...he's average. He holds the ball too long, has a weak NFL arm, and is just not the prospect people think he was, regardless of the injury.

Everyone was anointing him the next coming and Burrow was a better pick regardless of injury. I want a guy that's been through it, had tough times, had to grind a bit, and not just gone into the best situation in the country and won. Hell, I even like Mac Jones better. He went to Bama and earned it. Also, I want a guy that physically has an upside. Tua is just an average-sized guy with below-average height.

Facts are facts, the odds are truly stacked against him. Now, I'm sure you're going to say "what about Drew Brees?" He's a damn anomaly and Tua's not in his class. Sorry guys but it's not gonna happen. He's a unicorn. Of the top 30 passers of all time, all of 3 are under 6'2" tall. That would be Brees, the amazing Fran Tarkenton, and Dave Krieg. In this day and age, if you're going to be under 6'2, you better have another skill set and Tua cannot run, certainly cannot throw on the run, and cannot think to make the plays needed with his legs like a Kyler Murray can.

I will be the first to say I was wrong if I am but for those putting this greatness label on him before he's even been average, that's laughable. And no, he was not even average as a rookie. He was statistically and by the metrics, one of the worst QBs in the league.
Saban is the most pragmatic, unsentimental, utilitarian, win at all costs HC. Tua earned it by beating out Hurts and Mac Jones. Yes, if Mac Jones was better than Tua, he'd have started. You can like Jones all you want, but I'll take Saban's judgment from up close and personal than someone else's from a distant armchair!

Trevor Lawrence had a smooth ride coming up. Would you say he will be a bust ? He clearly stated football isn't everything to him.

IpAA8Hq.gif

When people say that Tua's a high caliber QB it's mostly based on what he did in college plus some of the stuff he did as a rookie. Keep in mind he was coming back from major surgery and most people thought he wasn't even going to play his rookie year. I agree we can't say what we have with him yet as an NFL QB but you can't judge him based on his rookie season where everything was stacked against him.
It seems you've made up your mind already that he'll never be any good. I'm more wait and see but I like his chances of becoming a very good/great QB. Time will tell.
You cannot call him a high calibur QB based on what he did in college. This is the problem. He played at ALABAMA!! That is men against boys every week. Would you consider Mac Jones a high calibur QB because all he did was shatter Tua's best there and made it look easy? I would not. I think he's limited just like Tua is. This is not making up my mind about Tua either, it's been my opinion on him for years.

Many of his injuries have been his own fault. Many for holding the ball too long...hence Saban getting pissed when he was told about Tua's rapid drop in productivity when he holds the ball longer than 2.5 seconds. Much of what he did at Bama was quick hitters and throwing to wide open athletes within that 2.5 second mark. When he needs to think or improvise, he's a different player. Always has been. It's just not that simple in the NFL. Progressions are differents, reads are different and complex, and much of the time you need to hit second and third reads. I just don't think people look beyond the surface with him. He's not the guy that will be able to stand behind a line at barely 6'0", if 6'0", and just pick teams apart.

Not sure what you mean by a player of Tuas caliber.

An unproven QB who looked pretty bad minus a couple games.

Whether you think he's going to be amazing or bust I don't see how you can say a player of his caliber based on what we have seen.
When Tua had playmakers on the team, his accuracy was pretty high, and looked like one of the more consistent QBs when in the redzone.

Once he started losing talent around him, his stats miraculously started to decline.

How many passes did he throw perfectly on time, in the perfect place, only to see it dropped? How many times did he have to force passes, because Miami was falling behind, and he knew the team did not have the horses to come back, without him taking dangerous chances?

Trevor Lawrence had a smooth ride coming up. Would you say he will be a bust ? He clearly stated football isn't everything to him.
First off, a guy does not need to be Tom Brady with being obsessed with the game. That's why he's playing at 43. I'm saying look at the lineage of players and Heisman winners that come from Alabama yearly. It's not even close, not even with Clemson. You walk into Alabama and the God-like prophecies start right away. However, you're comparing a guy who's 6'6" to a guy who might be 6' with lifts in his shoes. You're comparing the purest player to come out in decades to a guy who's got an average skillset. People are throwing greatness at Tua, and have been and he's proven time and again that he is what he is.

This does not exclude Lawrence from being a bust one day but if you had to choose, who are you taking? Lawrence or Tua?

Back
Top Bottom