If Chase and Pitts are off the board... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Chase and Pitts are off the board...

If Chase and Pitts are off the board who should the Dolphins select at 6?

• Sewell

• Smith

• Waddle

• Parsons

• Slater

Results are only viewable after voting.
Smith, Waddle or Sewell. Any of the three are OK by me. I think we've beaten this horse to death.
My first reaction was "are we really doing this again?", but for the next two weeks, it's unlikely there is anything new, and paradigm shifting to discuss, so NBD.

I'm not thrilled with any of the choices for various reasons, but not going to slit my wrists over any of them either.

I could see Parsons or Sewell making sense. I'm also warming up to Waddle if offensive skills is the pick.

I was looking at the recent historical success of WRs drafted that high, or lack thereof on Championship teams. I also was looking at how many of the top WR's currently in the league were drafted anywhere close to that high, and i think Mike Evans was the only one drafted in the top 15.

The more I thought about it, my mindset became that adding one of the top 4 weapons was more of an improvement to our offense than adding the best OL on the board.
Tampa drafted Evans with Aaron Donald on the board. They could have put Donald up front next to Gerald McCoy! Evans is pretty good, but that DL could have been HOF.

Not surprisingly, to my Club 347 brothers at least, my vote is for Christian Barmore who is making a late run up draft boards. He is the only legit 1st round DT in this draft and might be the best pass rusher in the class. He could bring our DL and front 7 to a whole new level. With Pitts gone, Barmore is the next "unique talent" at an impact position available and he will be drafted in the top 11.

I prefer to take a foundational player over a great WR or OT in a draft class that is loaded with them.

I would be perfectly content to "Settle" for Elijah Moore/Terrace Marshall, Javonte Williams, Meinerz/Dickerson, Radunz/ Leatherwood in order to have a stud DT wreaking havoc on the inside. It has worked very well in San Francisco.

Using our knowlege of the back half of the draft from coaching the Senior Bowl, we could find some talented but raw players to fortify the back 7 and special teams. We will just need to move back a bit and add a couple day 3 picks.

RW

Tampa drafted Evans with Aaron Donald on the board. They could have put Donald up front next to Gerald McCoy! Evans is pretty good, but that DL could have been HOF.

Not surprisingly, to my Club 347 brothers at least, my vote is for Christian Barmore who is making a late run up draft boards. He is the only legit 1st round DT in this draft and might be the best pass rusher in the class. He could bring our DL and front 7 to a whole new level. With Pitts gone, Barmore is the next "unique talent" at an impact position available and he will be drafted in the top 11.

I prefer to take a foundational player over a great WR or OT in a draft class that is loaded with them.

I would be perfectly content to "Settle" for Elijah Moore/Terrace Marshall, Javonte Williams, Meinerz/Dickerson, Radunz/ Leatherwood in order to have a stud DT wreaking havoc on the inside. It has worked very well in San Francisco.

Using our knowlege of the back half of the draft from coaching the Senior Bowl, we could find some talented but raw players to fortify the back 7 and special teams. We will just need to move back a bit and add a couple day 3 picks.

RW
I agree except I put Parsons as 1A....

I knew I could count on you Danny.

Awesome song.......possibly top 100 all time rock consideration, though I realize that such a list is impossible. Definately a cut above (anything by John Michael not withstanding).......lol
The first 99 would be Ozzy songs of course.....lol :OZ: 🎵:EVH:

If we drafted Sewell or Parsons I wouldn't cry. Trading down isn't automatic, please don't bitch about it if it doesn't happen
and you think it should have

RW
Barmore is going top 11? I like him as a prospect, but I have never seen him mocked that high. Depending on how the board falls I could see the Giants drafting him, but they have some glaring holes on both sides of the ball. IMO they will draft Parsons if he is still available. I think I saw 3 mocks, from different sources, today that all had the Bucs taking Barmore 32nd. Personally, I have taken him at 18 in the majority of my mocks as I think he and Zaven Collins are the best defender fits for our front 7 day 1.

Barmore is going top 11? I like him as a prospect, but I have never seen him mocked that high. Depending on how the board falls I could see the Giants drafting him, but they have some glaring holes on both sides of the ball. IMO they will draft Parsons if he is still available. I think I saw 3 mocks, from different sources, today that all had the Bucs taking Barmore 32nd. Personally, I have taken him at 18 in the majority of my mocks as I think he and Zaven Collins are the best defender fits for our front 7 day 1.
Last week on Sirius Radio's "Movin' the Chains" Pat Kirwan drafted him #10 to Dallas. He thinks the steep dropoff at the TE and IDL positions will have Pitts going top 5 and Barmore top 10. Then Kirwan and Jim Miller discussed Detroit as a strong possibility since they are rebuilding from scratch. Carolina could take him and pair him up with Derrick Brown for a dominant inside tandem. Then there is defense starved Dallas who needs help inside and they won't want him to fall to the Giants or Eagles. We could scoop him up ahead of all of them. Pair him with his former teammate Davis and Wilkins and/or use him as 5 technique. The IDL would be set for years.

RW

Last week on Sirius Radio's "Movin' the Chains" Pat Kirwan drafted him #10 to Dallas. He thinks the steep dropoff at the TE and IDL positions will have Pitts going top 5 and Barmore top 10. Then Kirwan and Jim Miller discussed Detroit as a strong possibility since they are rebuilding from scratch. Carolina could take him and pair him up with Derrick Brown for a dominant inside tandem. Then there is defense starved Dallas who needs help inside and they won't want him to fall to the Giants or Eagles. We could scoop him up ahead of all of them. Pair him with his former teammate Davis and Wilkins and/or use him as 5 technique. The IDL would be set for years.

RW
I like the player, but @6?

Have to pass......

I think fans are piecing together that Chase Parsons is a legit option at six and probably always was. We need playmaking on both sides of the ball. Parsons has a skill set that’s hard to find.

I think fans are piecing together that Chase Parsons is a legit option at six and probably always was. We need playmaking on both sides of the ball. Parsons has a skill set that’s hard to find.
How is someone who has never had an interception and gets most of his sacks on free rushes a playmaker?

I always wonder this, but nobody seems to give me a straight answer.

I like Sewell at 6 if Pitts and Chase are gone. From a value standpoint, a franchise OT is worth more than a solid WR. This WR class is deep. We could move up from 18 and snag Smith (if he falls a bit) or Waddle. There are half a dozen or more WR (like Toney, Bateman, E. Moore, Marshall, R. Moore, etc.) that will all be NFL starters we could take at 18, or if we trade back from 18, or at 36. There is only one Pitts and one Sewell in this draft. I’d be perfectly fine with Smith or Waddle at 6; it’s just not the move I’d make.
Im really into the idea of 'what are the costliest, hardest to find quality FA positions?' I feel like these are the positions you should use high picks on.
You just cant afford to sign quality tackles as FAs. Even mediocre guards are cap-wreckers as FAs.
From this standpoint, you have to go OLine.
LB is a close second. Who can most positively effect our whole team? A great LB or a great OT?
Where could Miami use the help the most? Seems like our LB depth is better than our OL Depth right now.
However, if Miami thinks Hunt can play at or near the projected quality of Sewell, then maybe we trade down even farther to still get Smith or Waddle.

How is someone who has never had an interception and gets most of his sacks on free rushes a playmaker?

I always wonder this, but nobody seems to give me a straight answer.
I think people are rightfully looking at his power/speed combo and projecting what he can do at the NFL level. And your dismissal of his sacks as free rushes is a gross oversimplification. The QB didn’t elude him. He has the juice to finish plays and you have to do it. He also sat out last year in what would be normally expected as his most dominant year. So you’re looking at tape of a younger player and you can adjust your evaluation accordingly.

In the end this kid can be a complete LB who will be versatile and take away a lot of plays in space, whether it’s an RPO, a QB improvising, a RB catching the ball in the flat, etc. There are only so many LBs in the league who can run and hit like he can. It’s fair to project him as a guy who will make plays.

I think people are rightfully looking at his power/speed combo and projecting what he can do at the NFL level. And your dismissal of his sacks as free rushes is a gross oversimplification. The QB didn’t elude him. He has the juice to finish plays and you have to do it. He also sat out last year in what would be normally expected as his most dominant year. So you’re looking at tape of a younger player and you can adjust your evaluation accordingly.

In the end this kid can be a complete LB who will be versatile and take away a lot of plays in space, whether it’s an RPO, a QB improvising, a RB catching the ball in the flat, etc. There are only so many LBs in the league who can run and hit like he can. It’s fair to project him as a guy who will make plays.
Fair enough, but given that he's a supposed diva headcase if that's true then I'll gladly let someone else make that playmaker projection.

Won't be me.

Back
Top Bottom