If Miami Dolphins Draft Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill Is A Goner | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Miami Dolphins Draft Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill Is A Goner

I’m in the all in Tannehill boat this year though. If he fails there’s going to be good prospects to look at qb next year just like there is almost every year.
Nope. Next years class is turrible turrible. One of the worst in a long time.

Seriously? There’s Lock, Patterson, Eason and in 2020 Fromm will be eligible.
Fromm is not in next years class so I'm not counting him. However 2 thumbs up. Would take him in a second. Lock is the best of the group but would rank probably 7th in this year's class. He's got accuracy issues. He went off in the last half of the season but look at his first 6 games. Lets see what he does full season next year. Patterson played 3 games in 16 and ended last year injured. We'll see what harbaugh can do with him but he's not nearly the prospect of this class. Eason really? He played 3 games last year. He has accuracy issues. The book is still way out on him. There really is no comparing these two classes.

Lock has great upside and I'm really interested to see how he progresses this year....I remember reading somewhere that one thing that convinced him to return for another year of college was that he didn't receive a 1st OR 2nd round draft grade from the advisory board. Gotta search and see if I can find where I read it. So, he only has a greater upside by improving on any issues this year and if he can stay healthy will undoubtedly be the 1st QB taken next year (although, again, who knows where we might be picking?).

Lock has great upside and I'm really interested to see how he progresses this year....I remember reading somewhere that one thing that convinced him to return for another year of college was that he didn't receive a 1st OR 2nd round draft grade from the advisory board. Gotta search and see if I can find where I read it. So, he only has a greater upside by improving on any issues this year and if he can stay healthy will undoubtedly be the 1st QB taken next year (although, again, who knows where we might be picking?).
I remember seeing a low grade this year for him as well. I do believe he is the best of the class for next year and as such will go in the first. He will surely benefit from another year in college. Even still I don't think he hold water to the top 5-6 in this class.

I found it (ain't Google great?):

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/coll...cle_953252c2-c2ff-57a5-b671-7916ed128267.html

"Missouri quarterback Drew Lock hasn’t decided if he’s entering the 2018 NFL draft, but he shared this much Tuesday: He did not receive a first- or second-round draft projection.....The NFL’s Draft Advisory Council advised the first-team All-Southeastern Conference quarterback to return to school rather than enter the draft....The council gives draft-eligible underclassmen one of three grades: first round, second round or a recommendation they return to college."

32nd overall.

I think if he's there Tannebum and Gase won't be able to NOT take him with him sitting there available at 11. And that's not saying Tannehill won't be QB for 2018 but if this happens he'll definitely be gone in 2019 when they would give Mayfield the job. This also gives them some insurance this season should RT's knee not hold up or he gets injured again.

That's a whole lot of confidence that Mayfield lives up to his hype. Remember, odds are that at least 3 of the top 5 QB's are going to be less than stellar.

It's bad enough that everyone seems willing to anoint the next "generational QB" after a year or less of play, but it's down right absurd that we anoint a draft pick "can't miss" without him even seeing a pro field.

If we got one of the top guys in this draft at 11, and they were at least as good as Tannehill, it would be good business to trade RT while he has value. But, if he wasn't as good, it might make sense to sit him longer and take advantage of one of the rare windows of a real safety net at QB and time to redesign the team around the rookies different skills mix. Of course, there is always the possibility that the "can't miss" guy is a miss or we could pull a NE and trade the young whippersnapper for a larger haul of picks and help the team even more.

Tannehill is cheap this year. Better to sit Mayfeild a year and hope Tannehill can produce a solid year putting up 4,700 yards 29 TD,s 11 picks. We have a future 2nd round pick coming on a bad team in need of a QB. Plus Todd NEVER puts trades on his mocks. So its unrealistic Mayfeild slips to 11

That's a whole lot of confidence that Mayfield lives up to his hype. Remember, odds are that at least 3 of the top 5 QB's are going to be less than stellar.

It's bad enough that everyone seems willing to anoint the next "generational QB" after a year or less of play, but it's down right absurd that we anoint a draft pick "can't miss" without him even seeing a pro field.

Of course, as has been proven time and again, it's always a crapshoot as to who is able to make it but sometimes you just have to throw the dice.

I'm not even saying I hope that happens (and I'd prefer the other QBs over him but of all them Mayfield seems the most likely to slip to our pick) but do you think Tannebum/Gase will pass on Mayfield if he is there at 11??

This certainly makes sense and this would not surprise me. On the other hand quite a gamble that could set the franchise back another 3 4 years. With Tbums prior track record at Cleveland and the Jets I certainly do not trust the judgement of Tbum on a move like this.

Back
Top Bottom