If Miami Dolphins Draft Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill Is A Goner | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Miami Dolphins Draft Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill Is A Goner

It's usually easier to be right when you have the luxury of hindsight.

There wasn't a better option on the street at that time. The fact that you think Moore was as good an option after the fact just shows you are trolling.

Thanks for the post. The problem with many critics/armchair GMs is that they can be fearless when they have no accountability or are not held responsible for their decisions.
People love to criticize when they have the benefit of hindsight.
Starting QBs don’t grow on trees and Cutler was the best available for THIS offense. He knew the playbook.
Kaepernick is not a classic pocket passer and Gase would have had to re structure the entire offense to suit his abilities.
Additionally, the idiot wore a t shirt with Fidel Castro on a road trip to Miami in 2016. I’m not going to let this devolve into a political discussion or harp on his historical ignorance, but I would have stopped supporting the team as would have 1000s of the Cuban community. Many of whom are season ticket holders.

Thanks for the post. The problem with many critics/armchair GMs is that they can be fearless when they have no accountability or are not held responsible for their decisions.
People love to criticize when they have the benefit of hindsight.
Starting QBs don’t grow on trees and Cutler was the best available for THIS offense. He knew the playbook.
Kaepernick is not a classic pocket passer and Gase would have had to re structure the entire offense to suit his abilities.
Additionally, the idiot wore a t shirt with Fidel Castro on a road trip to Miami in 2016. I’m not going to let this devolve into a political discussion or harp on his historical ignorance, but I would have stopped supporting the team as would have 1000s of the Cuban community. Many of whom are season ticket holders.

What about those of us who criticized it before the season WITHOUT benefit of hindsight and knew it was a stupid move and called it then?? What did Gase the Guru know that we didn't??...oh yeah...he didn't. (BTW...not saying we should've taken Kaepernick and agree with everything you said about him).

Not looking for accolades or a pat on the back (and pretty pissed/upset it turned out the anti-Cutler guys were right and he sucked and we had another joke of a season) but you're discounting that some called it and railed against it when it was rumored/happened and trying to portray that no one criticized it until after the fact which is just plain BS.

Last edited:
Eagles were one example....there are others...Going back a few years but what about when Brady had his ACL injury in Game 1 (or 2)??? The Patriots turned to backup QB (Cassel) and rode out the season (even making playoffs I think). They also didn't panic and throw loads of cash a QBs who were equal to or supposedly better than Cassel. And, if Moore gets hurt then you have to make a move (like many teams have done within season due to QB injuries) or get someone but throwing $10 million away on a mediocre fill in guy preemptively is a move of panic , nothing less, and was proven to be a terrible decision (which is entirely common with our FO).
As good as Mayfield is I think you are taking a big chance doing with the article says to trade Ryan before the 2018 season. for a draft picks. If Mayfield isn't ready for the NFL speed, then you will force him to learn and adjust to the game with Brock behind him. That could cost people there jobs.

41 year old Brady still more frightening than “in his prime” Tannehill.
41 yr old Tom Brady is better than 90% of the QB's in the league...but use it to disparage your teams QB. Does the sun ever come out in some of this team's fan's worlds. DAMN.

As good as Mayfield is I think you are taking a big chance doing with the article says to trade Ryan before the 2018 season. for a draft picks. If Mayfield isn't ready for the NFL speed, then you will force him to learn and adjust to the game with Brock behind him. That could cost people there jobs.

Don't know if you replied to the wrong post but the one you quoted (mine) had to with a team sticking with their backup QB when their starters went down vs. paying thru the nose on a desperate gamble and predictably failing. So...it had nothing to do with Mayfield but last season's Tannehill/Cutler/Moore fiasco.

Don't know if you replied to the wrong post but the one you quoted (mine) had to with a team sticking with their backup QB when their starters went down vs. paying thru the nose on a desperate gamble and predictably failing. So...it had nothing to do with Mayfield but last season's Tannehill/Cutler/Moore fiasco.
Thanks bro. My bad. I was replying to the original post.

Ryan is here for at least a year with the restructure he just did. We would not cut him and take on a -$12.6M cap hit. These people floor me sometimes.
Not sure if someone else wrote this cause I haven't read every post on this thread, but the extension shouldn't affect us trading tannihill. Regardless why would we cut a guy we can get at least a 3rd for

Tannehill
I'm just curious, not trying to start a boxing match (it's a beautiful day in FL). How would you feel if Gase a) drafted a qb in 1st like Mayfield and he sat a year to take over for tanny in year 2 and b) drafted Mayfield and trades tanny. The opposite for me, if Gase doesn't draft a qb in 1st i would be disappointed. I'd still go to all the games but would probably continue to question his decisions. And even though im critical i would most certainly root for tannys sucess. Personally I'd like to see competition at qb. I think competition makes players better.

I'm just curious, not trying to start a boxing match (it's a beautiful day in FL). How would you feel if Gase a) drafted a qb in 1st like Mayfield and he sat a year to take over for tanny in year 2 and b) drafted Mayfield and trades tanny. The opposite for me, if Gase doesn't draft a qb in 1st i would be disappointed. I'd still go to all the games but would probably continue to question his decisions. And even though im critical i would most certainly root for tannys sucess. Personally I'd like to see competition at qb. I think competition makes players better.

I take Gase at his word that he believes Tannehill to be a very good NFL QB. I believe that his is a top 8 - 15 QB in the league and drafting a QB in the first round is a luxury pick that the team cannot afford. IMO, none of the QBs in this draft are locks to be better than Tannehill. None of the top 4 have separated from one another in the rankings. I think that means that none of them are special and that makes the pick too big a risk for a team with so many other issues. I think the risk of sticking with Tannehill is significantly lower than the risk of drafting a QB.

So, I would be disappointed if they pick a QB at 11 and totally pissed off if they trade up for one.

Let me ask you this. How would you feel if they draft a QB and they are unable to beat out Tannehill?

If I was Tannenbaum id be weary of Gase getting a rookie Qb, especially one that Gase selects. It’s double trouble. He is unstable, he’ll ruin him. He is not good with QBs.

Tannenbaum should get a good QB for the future, but keep Gase away from him.

First, a compliment. "if Gase doesn't draft a qb in 1st i would be disappointed." A very sane, unemotional position. Far too many threaten suicide, murder, or terrorist activity. (Hyperbole) That said, there is the possibility Miami drafts, say, Mayfield, but either a) he's not as good as advertised, or, b) Tannehill plays well enough, Mayfield sits years 2,3,4. I worry when people think their draft pick can't miss.

I take Gase at his word that he believes Tannehill to be a very good NFL QB. I believe that his is a top 8 - 15 QB in the league and drafting a QB in the first round is a luxury pick that the team cannot afford. IMO, none of the QBs in this draft are locks to be better than Tannehill. None of the top 4 have separated from one another in the rankings. I think that means that none of them are special and that makes the pick too big a risk for a team with so many other issues. I think the risk of sticking with Tannehill is significantly lower than the risk of drafting a QB.

So, I would be disappointed if they pick a QB at 11 and totally pissed off if they trade up for one.

Let me ask you this. How would you feel if they draft a QB and they are unable to beat out Tannehill?
But what about my specific questions. You didn't really answer either. For you question I think there can be different scenarios. If drafted in 1st and doesn't beat out in 1st year I'm fine. We have tanny either way in 18. 1st rd and can't beat in year 2 that is disappointing and I would consider a miss. Drafted later rd and sit to develop I don't like. Not a fan of the 2nd tier qbs. Now in any case if tanny can be beat out because he outperforms. Well kudos, I will jump on here and give all props to him and you standing pat for your guy.

What about those of us who criticized it before the season WITHOUT benefit of hindsight and knew it was a stupid move and called it then?? What did Gase the Guru know that we didn't??...oh yeah...he didn't. (BTW...not saying we should've taken Kaepernick and agree with everything you said about him).

Not looking for accolades or a pat on the back (and pretty pissed/upset it turned out the anti-Cutler guys were right and he sucked and we had another joke of a season) but you're discounting that some called it and railed against it when it was rumored/happened and trying to portray that no one criticized it until after the fact which is just plain BS.

Again, as I stated starting QBs don’t grow on trees. The phins had very few options and quite frankly only a handful of teams have a backup that could start an entire season and play at a high level.
The team had bad luck last year. RT should have had the surgery right after the initial injury.

Back
Top Bottom