If Miami Dolphins Draft Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill Is A Goner | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Miami Dolphins Draft Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill Is A Goner

First, a compliment. "if Gase doesn't draft a qb in 1st i would be disappointed." A very sane, unemotional position. Far too many threaten suicide, murder, or terrorist activity. (Hyperbole) That said, there is the possibility Miami drafts, say, Mayfield, but either a) he's not as good as advertised, or, b) Tannehill plays well enough, Mayfield sits years 2,3,4. I worry when people think their draft pick can't miss.
I think if you have a Brady or Rodgers it's cool to sit and develop beyond year two. But if not I would hope a 1st rd qb can step in in year 2. If not I'd consider a miss. Might be pulling the trigger too soon saying year 2, I'm just tired of waiting lol.id like year 2 and 3 in live games developing the position.

Again, as I stated starting QBs don’t grow on trees. The phins had very few options and quite frankly only a handful of teams have a backup that could start an entire season and play at a high level.
The team had bad luck last year. RT should have had the surgery right after the initial injury.

Now THAT is something we agree on....phew!!...finally... took a while to get us there, LOL.

If this happens...it’s more like the Brees/Rivers situation in San Diego.

Ryan would start this year more than likely...but better get to top 8-10 status or he will likely be gone.

Wouldn’t rule out Baker beating Ryan out either.

Gase loves Tannehill (full stop PERIOD).

He came to Miami In part bc he LOVES Tannehill.

Gase thinks Tannehill is good enough for Gase to hang his star on him.

Tannehill has poor pocket presence so Gase’ love for him will not materialize a Super Bowl win.

We will draft a q.b later in the draft.
All of that was before a year and. A half of ace injuries

But what about my specific questions. You didn't really answer either. For you question I think there can be different scenarios. If drafted in 1st and doesn't beat out in 1st year I'm fine. We have tanny either way in 18. 1st rd and can't beat in year 2 that is disappointing and I would consider a miss. Drafted later rd and sit to develop I don't like. Not a fan of the 2nd tier qbs. Now in any case if tanny can be beat out because he outperforms. Well kudos, I will jump on here and give all props to him and you standing pat for your guy.

I answered your question. I'd be disappointed if they draft a QB at 11, period. The two scenarios you listed make no difference. I assume they would plan on scenario A but would be willing to switch to B if they got a good offer for Tannehill. I think they would choose A and be in the same situation as KC. Trading a veteran QB coming off a very strong season to play a 2nd year player that they hope will be good. Not a wise move IMO.

If this happens...it’s more like the Brees/Rivers situation in San Diego.

That is my concern. Brees went on to win the SB and has been a better QB than Rivers. The big difference is that Brees had played pretty poorly before SD drafted Rivers.

Not sure if someone else wrote this cause I haven't read every post on this thread, but the extension shouldn't affect us trading tannihill. Regardless why would we cut a guy we can get at least a 3rd for
We’d lose $12.6M in cap if we dealt him the first year. Second year is probably when we’d make a move, due to the restructure. If he didn’t restructure, we’d save around $16M I do believe.

This article and newspaper are below Bleacher Report. The article says nothing.

I am a Tannehill believer, and think we will be ecstatic when he performs again like he did in 2016 before he was injured and after he and the team started to get Gase's system. That sounds like a small window, but it's not. Every coach and team has that transition period. What the productive window showed was that Tannehill can thrive in that system.

I highly doubt we select a QB in round 1, but it is more than obvious that if we did, we would be looking to trade Tannehill, and there would be LOTS of interest. Despite some of the fans and media's lack of respect, the NFL personnel people all know Tannehill is a good QB. There will be a bidding war if he is made available.

As for Baker Mayfield ... he's good. Everyone wants to discredit him, and I get it, but here's how I see it. In a sea of talented QB prospects each with a significant question mark, Baker Mayfield is head and shoulders better than the other guys, and he's hiding in plain sight. If people recall the Tim Tebow saga, every QB talking head out there kept saying the same thing--while we talk about the big arm and the athleticism, in the NFL it's all about consistent accuracy. That's the thing that Mayfield has. He throws a catchable ball where the WR/TE/RB can get it but the DB cannot. NFL coaches consistently win with that. But Mayfield stands out in another important way too, he processes information extremely quickly.

I've always maintained that of all of the talents possessed by Dan Marino, the two that made him great were his quick release and his ability to process football situations. He saw it, identified what he wanted to do, then translated that into getting the ball out of his hand before the defense could stop him. His accuracy and arm strength allowed that processing speed to quickly translate into the ball arriving at its window before the window closed. Give any NFL QB 10 seconds to throw the ball and he will destroy you. Give any NFL QB only 1 second to get the ball out of his hand and he will struggle mightily. That is because most NFL QB's range from reasonably accurate to highly accurate. The ability to process football situations, coupled with a quick release, coupled with good pocket presence buys QB's precious seconds.

I am NOT comparing Mayfield to Marino, that would be hilariously unfair to Mayfield, because Marino is the Greatest Of All Time. The GOAT stands alone.

But, the strengths of Baker Mayfield align to multiply his gifts, much like Marino's did. The fast processing speed, plus the quick release, plus the strong arm, plus the ability to avoid the rush, all means Baker Mayfield has more time to throw than the other QB's in this draft. In the NFL, time matters. When Brady has all day to throw, goodnight, you're going to lose. When we've beaten the Patriots part of that formula is always to take Brady out of that comfort zone, hit him, don't give him time to throw. I see Baker Mayfield as a cross between a young Drew Brees and Derek Carr. He has a leadership style that will have NFL players follow him unquestionably, and never give up. He will make his OL look better. He will instill a belief in the entire team. I can understand why some teams, maybe even the Dolphins, are very interested in the 6'5/8" Baker Mayfield.

^ A lot of what you say may be true from a technical standpoint and that's all well and good but what happens when he's at a South Beach nightclub and either has a fight with his whatever current girlfriend or patrons who are razzing him & drunks mouthing off??

The real question is has he matured enough to handle the pressure and side challenges off the field or is he another Johnny Football in waiting?

Last edited:
There’s always going to be a flavor of the year in QBs with fans. I’m not sold on Mayfield I’d rather stick with Tannehill.

Last edited:
I think if he's there Tannebum and Gase won't be able to NOT take him with him sitting there available at 11. And that's not saying Tannehill won't be QB for 2018 but if this happens he'll definitely be gone in 2019 when they would give Mayfield the job. This also gives them some insurance this season should RT's knee not hold up or he gets injured again.

He's a fierce Alpha-dog who would definitely beat-out Tannehill for starting QB. Remember, Tannehill was WR until finally becoming a QB in his 3rd year of college.

Ok I'm being totally serious here......
Do you REALLY believe this? Please tell me your just a Baker fan boy and your just kidding? Really please.....SMFH!!!!

The author is this thread titled it:
"If Miami Dolphins Draft Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill Is A Goner."
So, I diagreed that Tannehill would be a goner, but agreed that Mayfield would win the QB battle, but that it would be good to keep Tannehill as a backup for at least this year, and perhaps next year, or, for years, possibly.
Because, Mayfield is definitely not a #2. He's a #1 all the way. And Tannehill lovers need to understand this, if we draft a #1 like Mayfield.

I’d honestly rather wait a year or 2 for Shea Patterson or Jake Fromm.

Problem with that line of thinking is we may not be in a position then to get any of them....as is usual, we'll probably improve just enough to be picking at 15 - 20 and take ourselves out of contention. Of course there's always trade ups, moves, etc but this year there are 4 decent QB candidates and we're in a known/close to top 10 position where one should very well fall into our laps at 11. So...you kinda have to "strike while the iron is hot" and take one this year if RT is not the long term answer (and, I really don't think he is).

Last edited:
I’m in the all in Tannehill boat this year though. If he fails though there’s going to be good prospects to look at qb next year just like there is almost every year, and honestly I don’t think any of the QBs this year are “can’t miss” type prospects. All of them have some glaring issue.

Back
Top Bottom