If Rosen Delivers Miami wins the lottery | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Rosen Delivers Miami wins the lottery

I'd rather be the 2004 Chargers- Drew Brees was already on their team, but they drafted Philip Rivers just in case. Why not? Redskins did something similar, by drafting RG3 and Kirk Cousins in the same draft, just in case. Let's stop pretending Rosen is going to be able "to prove himself" by the end of the season with the hot garbage of supporting cast.

I say no matter how good JR looks we should still draft Tua/Love/Fromm. Rebuild the line, and let JR start again next year. The worst that could happen is JR craps the bed but Tua/Love/Fromm get ample time to adjust to NFL. The best case could be JR lights it up and we have a Brees/Rivers situation. I know starting your rookie on day one is the new trend, but look at Mahomes, there were reports that he outplayed Alex Smith his rookie camp, but they still made him watch for a year.
Dang it... you read my mind 6 minutes earlier!

Guys I'm rooting for Rosen big time, I understand how great it would be to already have the QB and am not so attached to a 2020 pick that I CAN'T support Rosen like many here. However, let's see him have a good game before we entertain this idea. There is so much more football to see, anyone making the call now is kidding themselves. of course you'll have the SUPER SMART posters who go negative not realizing they're not so smart because playing QB in the NFL is hard and the chances of a guy not working out greatly outweigh the chances of him working out. Here I'll show you:

Mayfield won't work out
Rosen won't work out
Darnold won't work out
Allen won't work out

There my chances of being right about these guys just went way up. I can't wait to be RIGHT.

I get people expressing opinions and will not advocate against that. I tend to be more interested in what is most likely to happen, or, the 2-3 most likely scenarios. Everything else is fluff. With that out of the way, . . .

There is little evidence Rosen is any more than the next-in-line QB. He looked good against the Boys. Good throws. Potential TDs dropped. But one game says little. Fans need to see growth through the 16th game. The flip side is the group that is absolutely certain Rosen sucks, Miami WILL finish 0-16, and Miami WILL draft Tua. Mythical.

I'd love to see a thread titled 'What will Flo do in the '20 draft' and have the mods strike ANYTHING containing 'should.' Personally, after game 3, I have no idea and I suspect most sane fans agree. No one knows (absolutely) if Miami will get #1 pick. No one knows what Rosen needs to do to convince Flo. No one knows the criteria Flo will use if he wants a QB in '20. No one knows who that QB will be. I doubt Flo's bar will be Rosen has to show elite talent, but I also doubt he'll be happy with an average QB.

You'd think that the fan base that made excuses for Tannehill for 7 straight years wouldn't continue to do so with the next quarterback, but here we are.

Nobody learns their lesson.
Yup same over and over again

No Oline no Wrs - blah blah blah

Grier and Flores made their decision with Ross permission - to remove any chance of success and people refuse to look at the cash they refused to spend

Cash to help out their QBs - and drafted a DT in the first knowing they were first in line for Rosen

Rosen is much quicker than I expected. When pressure gets close he's out of there. He has great feet, great mechanics and throws a better deep ball than we've seen around here in a very long time. How are we going to dump Rosen when we kept Tannehill for 7 years. IMO Rosen is way better than Tannehill ever was and I was a RT fan until the last year. We need to get the kid some help. The run game has bottomed out. Ballage looks soft and doesn't have great vision, Drake is off his game, dropping passes and fumbling. Coaches have to scheme something up to get some movement. What's Rosen supposed to do when it's 2nd and 12 because Drake lost 2 yards on 1st? He's always behind the sticks and that puts him in an even tougher situation than he's already in. If the receivers would make some plays for him that would be great. So, to be critical of Rosen's performance is crazy, he's all alone out there.

Up to Flores. Rex Ryan chose to live and die with Sanchez, and Ryan “died”. Hue Jackson lived and died with “Not Mayfield” and he died extra hard. We lived or died with Culpepper and the Saints thrived with Brees. Coach and QB lifespans are about the same and very correlated. If Rosen plays about as well as he played Sunday we’ll get another small haul of picks.

Based on what Flores decided in the offseason though, he’s not exactly a big Rosen fan. And that goes against what most fans and “experts” think about our qb situation. Unless Rosen plays shockingly well, Flores will roll with a rookie qb in 2020. Young qbs these days have a penchant for immediate success. If Rosen played like Kyle Allen we’d be losing our f***ing minds. And if Flores drafted him he’d look like the next BB.

Now, is that because of the coach? The qb? The team? I don’t tend to think like one single aspect of this team as the problem in recent years. And i don’t think I’m wrong. There’s issues top to bottom. Especially at the top, and his name his Stephen Ross. After a decade plus, I’m not sure we can build a complete team, and a complete FO, if he is around. If we continue to place all our hopes on a young quarterback we are doomed to fail, and we will collapse as always. We have to nail our offseason for once. 2013 we had a LOT of money and a top 3 draft pick and we made the team *worse*. If we do that again we will have a whole new kind of bad unleashed upon this league.

There is another side of that coin though, If Rosen continues to improves, and by seasons end, he proves to be a possible franchise QB, when the Draft comes along, Grier will have the choice of staying with Rosen the known commodity, e take a chance on a top college QB that may hopefully look as good or possibly better, then the QB you already know could be a franchise QB in Rosen.

I think Miami needs to be smart, and this may be unfair to Rosen, but even with a leaky O-Line, Rosen will need to not just look good, or show improvement each week, but actually impress the coaching staff to the point he actually takes the offense on his back, and shows week in and week out offensive success, or Miami is drafting in 2020 Rosen's compitition.

He does not have win games, or have huge offensive numbers, because defense could lose games, receivers could drop perfectly placed passes, or players could fumble, and stall drives, but Rosen needs to prove consistency, and play making.

There is another side of that coin though, If Rosen continues to improves, and by seasons end, he proves to be a possible franchise QB, when the Draft comes along, Grier will have the choice of staying with Rosen the known commodity, e take a chance on a top college QB that may hopefully look as good or possibly better, then the QB you already know could be a franchise QB in Rosen.

I think Miami needs to be smart, and this may be unfair to Rosen, but even with a leaky O-Line, Rosen will need to not just look good, or show improvement each week, but actually impress the coaching staff to the point he actually takes the offense on his back, and shows week in and week out offensive success, or Miami is drafting in 2020 Rosen's compitition.

He does not have win games, or have huge offensive numbers, because defense could lose games, receivers could drop perfectly placed passes, or players could fumble, and stall drives, but Rosen needs to prove consistency, and play making.

I gave a like to this post, although I'm uncomfortable with the bolded part. There are only 3-4 QBs who can take a team on their back and even THEY can't do it consistently. The rest, I agree.

Miami's drafting a QB regardless. They are valuable commodities so even if Rosen proves he's "the guy" (which can't actually happen when you lead the team to the #1 overall pick, but I digress), then you could still trade the loser of the QB competition for a lot of draft capital so it's not like you're "wasting" the pick.

It would be great if he were to show enough that we could use those picks on something other than a QB but he hasn't impressed - not even close. That game was a solid C, nothing more. He has exponentially more escapability and looks more comfortable playing QB than Tanny, but otherwise, he looked basically the same.

Not alot of people have have learned their lesson over the past 19-20 years of turnstile QB's. Rosen is not or will ever be second coming of Marino, Montana etc. Is he serviceable, maybe. We have had all his games with the Cards plus 1 game with Miami. Its still very early in the game, but if you think were not drafting a QB in the first 3 rounds of this draft then you are fooling yourself.

Rosen is much quicker than I expected. When pressure gets close he's out of there. He has great feet, great mechanics and throws a better deep ball than we've seen around here in a very long time. How are we going to dump Rosen when we kept Tannehill for 7 years. IMO Rosen is way better than Tannehill ever was and I was a RT fan until the last year. We need to get the kid some help. The run game has bottomed out. Ballage looks soft and doesn't have great vision, Drake is off his game, dropping passes and fumbling. Coaches have to scheme something up to get some movement. What's Rosen supposed to do when it's 2nd and 12 because Drake lost 2 yards on 1st? He's always behind the sticks and that puts him in an even tougher situation than he's already in. If the receivers would make some plays for him that would be great. So, to be critical of Rosen's performance is crazy, he's all alone out there.
We did not give up a 2nd round pick just to cut him loose after one tanked season. JR has a lot of talent and it cannot be realized until we get him some protection. I fully expect him to be the starter next year if he survives this year. After that who knows.

Not alot of people have have learned their lesson over the past 19-20 years of turnstile QB's. Rosen is not or will ever be second coming of Marino, Montana etc. Is he serviceable, maybe. We have had all his games with the Cards plus 1 game with Miami. Its still very early in the game, but if you think were not drafting a QB in the first 3 rounds of this draft then you are fooling yourself.

It's the craziest thing, I remember people defending Chad Henne the same way, than they moved on to Tannehill, and now it's Rosen's turn. People are already saying they feel comfortable bypassing on a QB in this draft, like can we at least let the season play out before saying crap like that.

It's the craziest thing, I remember people defending Chad Henne the same way, than they moved on to Tannehill, and now it's Rosen's turn. People are already saying they feel comfortable bypassing on a QB in this draft, like can we at least let the season play out before saying crap like that.
Sometimes a QB who hasn't thrown a TD yet and leads an offense to 6 points makes people comfortable. Who knew?

IMO there are only maybe 5-6 elite, superstar QBs in the league (Wilson, Mahomes, Brees, Brady, Big Ben, Rodgers) and four of them are nearing retirement. The rest of the league has serviceable QBs.

Back
Top Bottom