If we trade down into the bottom of the first... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If we trade down into the bottom of the first...

That is a hell of a trade fever. Marshall is a must grab in the 2nd.
...and I got less than these other two weirdos. Crap.

I think the scale is correct though... this is what you get with a trade down from #3, and this is the value inherent in a pick this high. You can get 4-5 players for one lousy draft pick. Good players... starters.

I think the scale is correct though... this is what you get with a trade down from #3, and this is the value inherent in a pick this high. You can get 4-5 players for one lousy draft pick. Good players... starters.
We probably want to trade down even if it looks unconventional from the outside. Last draft was a success for us. If the Steelers end up sucking even better.

Nonsense! Just because you can't negotiate / navigate draft trades is no reason to term superiority as "weird!"

:rolleyes:

...the term "maven" is more acceptable IMO.

You honestly think Devonte Smith is worth a #1 from next year, Terrance Marshall, Kenny Gainwell, AND Monte Rice?

Really?
First, we don't know where that pick in 2022 would be. As far as Marshall, I like him to a point but not as much as the top 4 or 5 WR's in this draft. Gainwell is not what I think we need at RB. I'd prefer Harris or Williams. It's all academic tho cause I don't see that happening. There's a propose deal out there with us trading down to 8 and getting Carolina's 2nd this year plus their 1st in 2022 without having to move down to 24.

First, we don't know where that pick in 2022 would be. As far as Marshall, I like him to a point but not as much as the top 4 or 5 WR's in this draft. Gainwell is not what I think we need at RB. I'd prefer Harris or Williams. It's all academic tho cause I don't see that happening. There's a propose deal out there with us trading down to 8 and getting Carolina's 2nd this year plus their 1st in 2022 without having to move down to 24.
Danny don't be sad because we have a better idea! Like so many others you fall in love too easily
with you fav WR or RB who just happen to be hyped unendingly -- I think most are coming to their
senses --- we've been brainwashed by evil intending bots!

True story!

It will always depend on the players. If you had taken the same trade in 2007 (I picked that year b/c it was the last time I had a WR rated as a top 3 pick), Lions with the Patriots (who had the 24th pick, where Pitt is this year). I then used the 24th picks in rounds 2 and 3 that year and the Pat’s pick in 2008 ( which was 10th). The trade ended up as

Calvin Johnson for
Brandon Merriweather
Tim Crowder
Stewart Bradley
Jerod Mayo.

Danny don't be sad because we have a better idea! Like so many others you fall in love too easily
with you fav WR or RB who just happen to be hyped unendingly -- I think most are coming to their
senses --- we've been brainwashed by evil intending bots!

True story!
Ok, I'll try harder from now on to see if I can come up with ideas as good as yours. Don't give up on me yet. I'll keep on trying.

I think you are quibbling now... taking issue with the specific players that I chose in a simulation, rather than the concept of 4 for 1, or even 5 for 1.

It will always depend on the players. If you had taken the same trade in 2007 (I picked that year b/c it was the last time I had a WR rated as a top 3 pick), Lions with the Patriots (who had the 24th pick, where Pitt is this year). I then used the 24th picks in rounds 2 and 3 that year and the Pat’s pick in 2008 ( which was 10th). The trade ended up as

Calvin Johnson for
Brandon Merriweather
Tim Crowder
Stewart Bradley
Jerod Mayo.
Well...

My first thought is... Calvin Johnson... the guy who actually did deserve to be picked that early... fast AND tall... and plus hands. He might, might be an exception. There isn't a receiver in this draft with Calvin's size/speed ratio.

For an elite talent, it changes the equation some... but the elite talent is Penei Sewell, not Smith or Chase.

I think you are quibbling now... taking issue with the specific players that I chose in a simulation, rather than the concept of 4 for 1, or even 5 for 1.
Quality over Quantity...

I know your draft was a "what if" type of thing...but the point was made that there won't be many times where you are able to draft elite talent.

Your reasoning is like taking the prettiest girl to the prom just to go there and kiss all her average/ugly friends.

Well...

My first thought is... Calvin Johnson... the guy who actually did deserve to be picked that early... fast AND tall... and plus hands. He might, might be an exception. There isn't a receiver in this draft with Calvin's size/speed ratio.

For an elite talent, it changes the equation some... but the elite talent is Penei Sewell, not Smith or Chase.
IMO Smith is an elite talent. I think it’s a mistake for people to equate measurables only with elite talent. What matters is elite traits. For a WR that’s separation ability and hands. In those categories, Smith is as elite as it gets. And in terms of need and fit, Smith is also as spot on as you can get.

Quality over Quantity...

I know your draft was a "what if" type of thing...but the point was made that there won't be many times where you are able to draft elite talent.

Your reasoning is like taking the prettiest girl to the prom just to go there and kiss all her average/ugly friends.
Where that analogy breaks down is that we all can tell, in advance... which one of the girls is the prettiest, but we really don't know which ones will be the best in bed... and which ones perform the best is what it boils down to.

Just because a player is ranked in the draft top 5... or top 10... doesn't even mean that he'll be decent, much less high quality. If the positions were guaranteed to produce, then the quality over quantity argument would make sense... but there are no guarantees, and the argument falls flat.

Back
Top Bottom