I’m just gonna say it | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I’m just gonna say it

Trading up is usually a fool's errand; it costs too much and in the end, you are forced to live or die with that one player. Smart teams trade down, pick up extra picks and invest in development minded coaches.

Once you have a boat-load of picks and a staff that knows what to do with all of the players that you are bringing in, then... AND ONLY THEN... do you consider trading up to get that last piece.

The next step in keeping a winning team intact is knowing when it is prudent to let players walk, and when to overpay for one or two players... (pro tip: NEVER a safety)
The only time I would support trading up is if the team feels we are one player away from seriously competing and you can get that player only by trading up (i.e. KC with Mahomes or Ravens with Jackson). But as long as you have multi-player requirements it is foolish to trade up for one player especially a team like the Dolphins who would be better off trading down one or two of their first round picks rather than trading up.

I need help understanding why anyone would use a first round pick on an injured QB (given the nature of the injury) … blast away if you want or give me some solid reason(s) … isn't it ideal to have a 1st round player starting? … at least contributing? … I really don't see any value for the future hoping he pans out and is able to start his career over … too many ifs for me … the only way it would make sense to me is if we had a TEAM already and an aging QB with a couple years left in the tank … but our needs are greater than that IMO

Can/will anyone explain this approach?

Desperation, impatience... and a childish desire for star-power.

Trading up is usually a fool's errand; it costs too much and in the end, you are forced to live or die with that one player. Smart teams trade down, pick up extra picks and invest in development minded coaches.

Once you have a boat-load of picks and a staff that knows what to do with all of the players that you are bringing in, then... AND ONLY THEN... do you consider trading up to get that last piece.

The next step in keeping a winning team intact is knowing when it is prudent to let players walk, and when to overpay for one or two players... (pro tip: NEVER a safety)
Someone better let the Chiefs know that they made a mistake trading up for Mahomes. I'll do them a favor and give them 3 picks for him and since they want to be a smart team, they can get THREE players and develop them!

Someone better let the Chiefs know that they made a mistake trading up for Mahomes. I'll do them a favor and give them 3 picks for him and since they want to be a smart team, they can get THREE players and develop them!

Normally I just ignore your posts, but since you missed the most important line, I will try to help you...

"Once you have a boat-load of picks and a staff that knows what to do with all of the players that you are bringing in, then... AND ONLY THEN... do you consider trading up to get that last piece."

We are not the Chiefs or Ravens... and neither traded up to the top of the draft.

You are welcome (and back to ignoring you).

Have a nice day.

Compete for what exactly? Lol. Pick 12 forever

Admittedly that’s higher than I thought that garden gnome could achieve. It’s still utterly pointless.

For wins. I'm not of the opinion we need a top draft position for the next 3 years to become a good team. Maybe we'll have a top 5 pick this year. Great. after that, keep building up. You don't need a top 5 pick every year to build a team.

If they are as elite as you say, why are they relying on an ancient Fitzpatrick at QB instead of using their elite coaching to develop a talented Josh Rosen to be a good QB this year?
This ^ ....
Regardless of wins / losses I'd much have rather seen what we had in Rosen with the improved play in our OL and WR Parker. I understand part of Fitzmagic's appeal is that he is making those around him better, but still, Rosen has made some great plays and the OL when he was in was horrific. I'd like to see more of him this year, especially over our last 4 games.

I need help understanding why anyone would use a first round pick on an injured QB (given the nature of the injury) … blast away if you want or give me some solid reason(s) … isn't it ideal to have a 1st round player starting? … at least contributing? … I really don't see any value for the future hoping he pans out and is able to start his career over … too many ifs for me … the only way it would make sense to me is if we had a TEAM already and an aging QB with a couple years left in the tank … but our needs are greater than that IMO

Probably has to start with how you feel about tua as a prospect relative to the rest of the potential qb class. I think there is a considerable gap.

Assuming the medical is a go. Which we won’t know for a while longer.

Fully healthy considerable gap imo

Even if he heals and gets back to 100%...

What he did in college he ISN'T going to do in the NFL.

He might do very well, & drafting him MIGHT be a good move.

BUT, in the NFL he will not see wideouts consistently getting 4 feet of separation,

and he will NOT be able to consistently run in his little circles behind the line & make those beautiful deep passes.

There might be better, safer picks at QB.
blah blah blah

Anyone talking in absolute terms can be safely ignored. It will be March before healing can be evaluated with any certainty

You win or lose come draft time and it's a reflection on the staff researching players. It's somewhat of a poker game where research, and a great eye with some luck come into play. We as fans live by what the decision makers do and we support this until we no longer support this usually until losing becomes the norm and in our case it is the norm. If the current decision makers find, after exhaustive research and their knowledge that they want to trade the farm to move up then they have my support. It's always a crap shoot to do so but so is stockpiling a bunch of C talent.

Back
Top Bottom