Ireland talks Chad Henne and the Wide Receiver Position | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ireland talks Chad Henne and the Wide Receiver Position

houtz

"guess who's back, back again"
Club Member
Reaction score
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2009/11/gm-jeff-ireland-unfiltered-well-almost.html

"We have to find players who can give us that chunk yardage that the coach always talks about," Ireland said. "We're not there yet and we're not going to be satisfied until we find those players.

"Every team is looking for them. We're not different. We're all looking for a superstar wide receiver. Those players come at a high price. You are either drafting them very high in the draft or giving up high draft picks and a lot of money to get them. Now, I'm not saying we wouldn't do that. The circumstances just haven't fallen for us to do either one right now.

"Do we want that kind of player on our team? Absolutely. All I can say to the fans is to be patient, we're fighting to try to find those type of guys. We're not going to mortgage the franchise for one player. We're going to try to build this team the right way and if those kind of players come to us, we'll certainly go after them and go after them hard."

It definitely put a big smile on my face. I was beginning to get worried with Sparano constantly talking about how well the wide receivers played. Glad to see Ireland understands what we need to do to become a legit contender.

This off season is going to be great.

It definitely put a big smile on my face. I was beginning to get worried with Sparano constantly talking about how well the wide receivers played. Glad to see Ireland understands what we need to do to become a legit contender.

This off season is going to be great.

kind of expected though. Sparano will not throw his players under the bus openly. he'll get in your face when you mess up, but he'll defend his players against the media.

Ireland, on the other hand, doesn't have to deal with the players all the time. he's here to evaluate the talent and address the areas that lack talent. he can be honest with the media if he wants to.

I like the fact that he addressed the fans directly. That shows me they know what the average fan is thinking and saying. They are not oblivious to the fact that we want and need a dominant #1.

kind of expected though. Sparano will not throw his players under the bus openly. he'll get in your face when you mess up, but he'll defend his players against the media.

Ireland, on the other hand, doesn't have to deal with the players all the time. he's here to evaluate the talent and address the areas that lack talent. he can be honest with the media if he wants to.

I understand completely. Just with the way Sparano talks you would think there really isn't a problem in the world with our WRs. Hell, even when Ginn has a few drops he never really says anything negative just constantly says that "they're improving".

Many of us thought WR was a pretty big need last year and they made an effort but IMO they didn't put fourth enough effort. I think this off season we will finally get that prolific WR that we all dream of. Wether it's in Free Agency, trade or the draft.

Did anyone else feel like the reporter read way to much into what Ireland said or didn't say about Henne? Here the quote

And while Ireland recognizes the need to upgrade the wide receivers he will give to Miami's quarterback, he is curiously noncommittal about Chad Henne as that quarterback.

I don't know how much more praise Ireland really could have said about a QB with 7 starts under his belt. What do they expect the guy to say "Oh lordy lordy the saver is here and his name is Henne we have our QB for the next 15 years praise all that is Henne"? Even if he thought Henne was the guy he wouldn't say that, why not keep a fire under his butt. I for one don't want Henne to fall into the dreaded sophomore slump next year (I know this is technically his 2nd year but you know what I mean)

Did anyone else feel like the reporter read way to much into what Ireland said or didn't say about Henne? Here the quote

And while Ireland recognizes the need to upgrade the wide receivers he will give to Miami's quarterback, he is curiously noncommittal about Chad Henne as that quarterback.

I don't know how much more praise Ireland really could have said about a QB with 7 starts under his belt. What do they expect the guy to say "Oh lordy lordy the saver is here and his name is Henne we have our QB for the next 15 years praise all that is Henne"? Even if he thought Henne was the guy he wouldn't say that, why not keep a fire under his butt. I for one don't want Henne to fall into the dreaded sophomore slump next year (I know this is technically his 2nd year but you know what I mean)

If by "reporter" you meant "Armando" and by "read way too much into what Ireland said" you meant "did his usual ****ty *** job at journalism", yes, you're absolutely correct.

I'm glad they're not happy with what they have at WR and are actively looking to upgrade.

Nice article.

i agree. how many more hints do you need to understand that ireland really likes Henne, armando?

I take away that the FO won't mortage the future while the core of the D is far from complete... look for an upgrade this year but not a high draft pick spent on a WR..., TEs can get chunks of yardage too

Sounds like a plan to me Ireland. Let's get a fantastic WR in the offseason along with some LB'ers :d-day:

I take away that the FO won't mortage the future while the core of the D is far from complete... look for an upgrade this year but not a high draft pick spent on a WR..., TEs can get chunks of yardage too

Here are my thoughts on what he's thinking.

A) We're not trading a bunch of draft picks for prolific WR. Which is why there was no Dwayne Bowe or Steve Smith trade at the deadline.

B) If a #1 WR becomes available via Free Agency we will do everything in our power to sign them.

C) IMO it doesn't matter how "incomplete" our defense is. They can only do so much. If you take a stud LB like Rolando McClain in the first then you turn around and take a WR in the second.

The way I see us getting a WR is simple. Free Agency/Draft. I don't think we're going to find the next Miles Austin on another team's practice squad.

I just hope that scuffle in Denver meant more then meets the eye. Would love to sign Marshall. Don't care what he did in Denver. You pay the man the money he wants and you sit back and let him make plays. Denver wont let him go tho :(

Interesting that he's more reserved in his praise of Henne than he was during the off season. During the off season he was asked about some of the 2008 picks and he warned that you need three years to evaluate them but some guys he knows are going to be good players. One of the guys he named though was Chad Henne, he said he's confident that when we look back on that pick, they'll know that they nailed that draft pick. To that point all Henne had done was lead that TD drive against the Cardinals in garbage time.

Back
Top Bottom