Ireland talks Chad Henne and the Wide Receiver Position | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ireland talks Chad Henne and the Wide Receiver Position

I'm Surprised you dont have NT in there. I'd agree that DT wouldnt be in it for a team running a 4-3 but the nose tackle is the KEY player in a 3-4 defense.
This is where the debate about which of the 5 you bump for NT. I should start a thread on it. :up:

FYI: Dolphins are averaging 28 ppg since Henne took over. I think we should focus on defense in the draft as we're young on offense. I'd like to see a stud TE or WR though. Both are equally important in my mind. A guy like Gresham would do wonders for our WR's and play-action. He'd also be a great red zone target. I've seen enough of Fasano and Haynos, get me a real TE!

Ireland and Sparano are smart gents. They both see the lack of separation speed and Ginn's undependable hands. One procures the talent after advice from scouting and in-depth analysis. The other helps mold the athlete into the player. Neither one is throwing anyone under the bus. The first step is to admit what we don't have yet. The next is to do something about it in the post-season. I am satisfied with what Ireland is saying and there is confidence that somewhere in the ivory tower there is a plan.

the guy who really wants us to upgrade our wr core in a big way is mr ross...the owner said so repeatedly last week when he was in the bar with ireland post game...and ireland knows it

This is where the debate about which of the 5 you bump for NT. I should start a thread on it. :up:

Corner, easily. With the right schemes and right blitz packages you can cover up lack of talent at corner.

As for your other post, i disagree that finding a number 1 wideout is harder to find then a nose tackle. Granted, finding the next Larry Fitzgerald is next to impossible, but many teams have different definitions for the "number 1" receiver. Panthers have a speed guy/tough runner in Smith, Bengals and Colts have great route runners/atheletic pass catchers in Wayne and Ochocinco, and the Eagles have speed/agility guys such as Jackson. Different systems, different type players, same effect and responsibilities.

While with nose tackle you cannot put just anyone there. Example: Glenn Dorsey. Coming out he looked to be a dominate defensive tackle, and even as a rookie he showed some potential at that position(well, he wasnt hopelessly lost like Gholston). They move him to a 3-4 as a defensive end with some rotation as a nose tackle, and hes suddenly invisible to the point of Kansas City trying to trade him midseason.
There just simply isnt enough +300 pound lineman with the strength and technique required for that spot coming into the league on a regular basis. And make no mistake about it, without a nose tackle we will suffer.

dorsey was never a good 3-4 nose fit and he's playing out of position as an end...he was a penetrating 4-3 dt if i ever saw one and he needs to play for a 4-3 team...

finding a dominant nose is very hard indeed...i'd agree harder than finding a legit wr...

Corner, easily. With the right schemes and right blitz packages you can cover up lack of talent at corner.

As for your other post, i disagree that finding a number 1 wideout is harder to find then a nose tackle. Granted, finding the next Larry Fitzgerald is next to impossible, but many teams have different definitions for the "number 1" receiver. Panthers have a speed guy/tough runner in Smith, Bengals and Colts have great route runners/atheletic pass catchers in Wayne and Ochocinco, and the Eagles have speed/agility guys such as Jackson. Different systems, different type players, same effect and responsibilities.

While with nose tackle you cannot put just anyone there. Example: Glenn Dorsey. Coming out he looked to be a dominate defensive tackle, and even as a rookie he showed some potential at that position(well, he wasnt hopelessly lost like Gholston). They move him to a 3-4 as a defensive end with some rotation as a nose tackle, and hes suddenly invisible to the point of Kansas City trying to trade him midseason.
There just simply isnt enough +300 pound lineman with the strength and technique required for that spot coming into the league on a regular basis. And make no mistake about it, without a nose tackle we will suffer.

I see a shutdown corner as essential to having a good defense. The big NT is imperative in stopping the run but you can easily drop a safety down in run support. Revis is a great example of rendering an opponents top WR ineffective. Ashuomaga is another. They take away a portion of the field to cover. Without Jenkins, the Jets run defense drops off. Take away Revis and that defense is not top 10.

I see a shutdown corner as essential to having a good defense. The big NT is imperative in stopping the run but you can easily drop a safety down in run support. Revis is a great example of rendering an opponents top WR ineffective. Ashuomaga is another. They take away a portion of the field to cover. Without Jenkins, the Jets run defense drops off. Take away Revis and that defense is not top 10.

we have the perfect 3-4 corner already who in time is gonna lock down guys in vontae davis...he was born to play corner in the 3-4...excellent in run support heavy hitter premier speed and acceleration and athleticism...future long term pro bowler

i'm floored by how good a player he projects to be from what i've seen

we have the perfect 3-4 corner already who in time is gonna lock down guys in vontae davis...he was born to play corner in the 3-4...excellent in run support heavy hitter premier speed and acceleration and athleticism...future long term pro bowler

i'm floored by how good a player he projects to be from what i've seen

Do you see him getting beat to the tune of almost 20 yards per pass average for the year ?????

Do you see him getting beat to the tune of almost 20 yards per pass average for the year ?????

i'm not sure i understand that...you saying he's giving up almost 20 yards per pass completion??? if so... link please

i'm not sure i understand that...you saying he's giving up almost 20 yards per pass completion??? if so... link please

Aren't you the same guy that mentioned that Ireland told you what players he was interested in? Well.... are you going to share with the rest of finheaven or what?:up:

I really like the situation that we're in....especially for OUR future.I really want Bill to stay,but having Tony and Jeff running things....I'm at peace with that.Mr. Ross and our front office need to sign both of them long term.Our Boy's are in terrific hands with them.It's been a LOOOOOOOONNNNG time since I've seen this much unity amongst our guys.Tony and Jeff have always preached "T" "E" "A" "M"!!!

Aren't you the same guy that mentioned that Ireland told you what players he was interested in? Well.... are you going to share with the rest of finheaven or what?:up:

sure...i only had a minute of his time but he seemed to talk about the seniors primarily...

when i asked about dez bryant he said he liked him but didn't think he'd be around...i asked about eric berry he said he was a very good player but again wouldn't be around he loved suh was real high on him but again did not think he'd make it to us...

i asked him flat out who he preferred at ilb rolando mcclain or brandon spikes he said spikes which surprised me he said spikes was a very physical player...maybe he hasn't spent much time on underclassmen yet thus he seemed to talk more about the seniors...

also when i brought up wrs the first name he said was brandon lafell liked him alot

he brought up jermaine gresham liked him alot i asked about hernandez the te from florida he said he didn't know if he was a fit for us...

i asked him about golden tate he said "he doesn't always catch the ball"

i asked about ras i dowling cb uva he said he was "ok"

he was very high on a nose tackle prospect from north carolina he didn't say a name not sure if he was talking unc or just the state of north carolina called him "a heck of a player" my guess now is cam thomas from unc...

when he talked about the wrs he turned to mr ross and said "and for you mr ross a wr" cause ross was talking about the wr need when i was at the table

the way he came across nt is high on the wish list and he seemed to be very very high on jermaine gresham and suh and lafell as that was the first wr he mentioned

i came away thinking gresham will be in consideration with our first round pick and the nose cam thomas and lafell are on the list at some point as well

I'd be willing to put money on Miami going after Antonio Bryant. I wouldn't be upset with that either. Pick up a WR in the second or third. GOLDEN TATE!!!

Back
Top Bottom