Ireland talks Chad Henne and the Wide Receiver Position | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ireland talks Chad Henne and the Wide Receiver Position

Ireland's smart,he knows what he's looking for in players,and he knows what kind of players to bring in for our coaches to work with...so i have no doubts that he'll do whatever he can to get us that dominant #1 WR,as well as improve our LB corp...don't forget that he helped Dallas bring in alot of the talent they have on both sides of the ball also...

If the true D studs are gone by the time we pick then a stud WR will likley have dropped but our D is porous - so I put the D ahead of the O and Henne on this one - and would not be surprised to see a pass-catching yard gobbling TE on this roster next year...

People who argue that Henne cannot develop under this offense and with 4-5 under-sizeed WRs are too interested in the statistics and not the W\L cloumn...

Yes Henne's stats will improve with Marshall - but we can't stop anyone, anyone when we need to and so Henne has to score more points...

After watching the glory years of the Killer B Defense followed by the glory years of Marino - I would think that the FO is leaning to the latter - Killer B 2 call it....

We're going to try to build this team the right way and if those kind of players come to us, we'll certainly go after them and go after them hard."

TRANSLATION=Demaryius Thomas,WR out of Georgia Tech(6'3",229)
slideshow_753980_techfoot1005_4JPG-1.jpg

the odds that we get a #1 receiver in FA? 1 in 100

odds we trade for a #1? 1 in 10

odds we draft a WR on day 1? 1 in 1

odds that a draftee plays like a #1 in his rookie year? 1 in 10

we need to can the instant gratification ****. it might have taken little time for the Tuna to polish the 1-15 turd, but we are not gonna have stars at every position overnight

Here are my thoughts on what he's thinking.

A) We're not trading a bunch of draft picks for prolific WR. Which is why there was no Dwayne Bowe or Steve Smith trade at the deadline.

B) If a #1 WR becomes available via Free Agency we will do everything in our power to sign them.

C) IMO it doesn't matter how "incomplete" our defense is. They can only do so much. If you take a stud LB like Rolando McClain in the first then you turn around and take a WR in the second.

The way I see us getting a WR is simple. Free Agency/Draft. I don't think we're going to find the next Miles Austin on another team's practice squad.

I just hope that scuffle in Denver meant more then meets the eye. Would love to sign Marshall. Don't care what he did in Denver. You pay the man the money he wants and you sit back and let him make plays. Denver wont let him go tho :(

That depends on who's available. You don't want to start drafting for need, that's how you waste 2nd round picks. We've wasted enough of those in recent years. We should take the BPA with a few exceptions. I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Gresham and then go ALL Defense. This defense needs a lot of help.

I'm on the draft a stud WR in 1st round then go all defense bandwagon myself. Or maybe a TE if there's one who's really good that slipped but as bad as the offense looks at times the D has far more holes.

we need to can the instant gratification ****. it might have taken little time for the Tuna to polish the 1-15 turd, but we are not gonna have stars at every position overnight

Thank you.

There is absolutely 0 chance Brandon Marshall is hitting free agency. Theres absolutely 0 chance Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Chad Ochocinco, or any others i cant immediately think of, will up for trade. We need to get that false hope outta the way. The term "number 1 wideout" has become something of a profanity word around here.

Believe it or not, for those aching for a big wideout, we are going to be in good position to grab great talent at good value during next years draft. Look at some of the teams picking that will be picking in front of us: Bills, Jets, Browns, Lions, Rams, Chiefs, Raiders, Seahawks, Panthers, Redskins...etc, all either have wideouts or simply bigger glaring needs. Many of those teams will be hunting for QB's, offensive lineman, or defensive players, so we could see a drop at that position. So we could fill the position with the "Parcells way", ie drafting at value.
Only the Bears seem to be a team needing a wideout....and oh wait, they dont have a first round pick, the Broncos have it, who have a great receiving core.
Personally, i believe we need a nose tackle alot more then a wideout, but as long as we get a productive player and dont bust and send us back towards the 1-15 direction of things, ill manage.

I take away that the FO won't mortage the future while the core of the D is far from complete... look for an upgrade this year but not a high draft pick spent on a WR..., TEs can get chunks of yardage too

IMO if a solid WR prospective is available in the first (Lafell) they will draft him. There are 5 key positions on the field, although some of us will have a variance on perhaps one, for the most part it's QB, WR, LT, DE/OLB, CB. The Dolphins have 4 of those 5 filled. The most glaring hole on this team is at WR. If they don't get one in FA, I would not be at all surprised to see them pick one in round 1. Just my opinion.

I think the type of star receivers our front office likes would be the Andre Johnson, or Calvin Johnson. Huge contributors that keep their mouth shut and just do what they're suppose to do. Andre is the best receiver in the NFL and Calvin is third behind Larry Fitzgerald. You don't hear these two players complain or anything, even though they have both been on pretty bad teams the past several years. Though the Texans are looking good this season. Too bad we will never have a chance in hell for either of them, their price tag would be way too high. =(

Thank you.

There is absolutely 0 chance Brandon Marshall is hitting free agency. Theres absolutely 0 chance Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Chad Ochocinco, or any others i cant immediately think of, will up for trade. We need to get that false hope outta the way. The term "number 1 wideout" has become something of a profanity word around here.

Believe it or not, for those aching for a big wideout, we are going to be in good position to grab great talent at good value during next years draft. Look at some of the teams picking that will be picking in front of us: Bills, Jets, Browns, Lions, Rams, Chiefs, Raiders, Seahawks, Panthers, Redskins...etc, all either have wideouts or simply bigger glaring needs. Many of those teams will be hunting for QB's, offensive lineman, or defensive players, so we could see a drop at that position. So we could fill the position with the "Parcells way", ie drafting at value.
Only the Bears seem to be a team needing a wideout....and oh wait, they dont have a first round pick, the Broncos have it, who have a great receiving core.
Personally, i believe we need a nose tackle alot more then a wideout, but as long as we get a productive player and dont bust and send us back towards the 1-15 direction of things, ill manage.

Great post SPESH and yes we need NT and ILBs badly

IMO if a solid WR prospective is available in the first (Lafell) they will draft him. There are 5 key positions on the field, although some of us will have a variance on perhaps one, for the most part it's QB, WR, LT, DE/OLB, CB. The Dolphins have 4 of those 5 filled. The most glaring hole on this team is at WR. If they don't get one in FA, I would not be at all surprised to see them pick one in round 1. Just my opinion.

Could happen but NT is also crucial in a 3-4

I think the type of star receivers our front office likes would be the Andre Johnson, or Calvin Johnson. Huge contributors that keep their mouth shut and just do what they're suppose to do. Andre is the best receiver in the NFL and Calvin is third behind Larry Fitzgerald. You don't hear these two players complain or anything, even though they have both been on pretty bad teams the past several years. Though the Texans are looking good this season. Too bad we will never have a chance in hell for either of them, their price tag would be way too high. =(

Just what we need...,

I'm Surprised you dont have NT in there. I'd agree that DT wouldnt be in it for a team running a 4-3 but the nose tackle is the KEY player in a 3-4 defense.

Back
Top Bottom