Is Jay worth 3.7?

Worth it?

• yes

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • no

Votes: 53 85.5%

• Total voters
Originally posted by FinaticPatch
With guys like Zach and Tim Bo restructuring and taking less money while playing good do you think we should continue to pay someone for a lack of performance. Im mean your a top tier LB Thomas and take less money. Or your a bottom of the barrel QB who refuses to take less. And the only reason he isnt leaving is cause no one even offered him a starting job. Even the cowboys. They all asked if he would come in and be a back up. Hmmmm what he should have been all along.

First of all, I will go on record as saying that I supported a paycut for Fiedler, not a restructure.
A paycut is just that, a cut. He would simply agree to a cut of whatever. Say he agreed to a 2 mil CUT, he makes 1.7 instead of 3.7, still a little steep for a backup, but for illustration purposes mainly. Even so, with a 1.7 salary added to his amortized portion of 1.1, he's still a 2.8 cap hit. But he apparently is going to restructure instead and by doing so will NOT accept less unless you're looking strictly at his new base, but will be getting more of his future bases paid up front in another bonus which will be amortized into new $$ that will be pushed ahead for more yrs. in other words, we'll save on the hit now but we'll be paying more for yrs to come overall. ideally, you only restructure players that are worth keeping around like Zack and JT, etc. Not the like of a Fiedler and madison, whose play has not been living up to the contract. This could make Fiedler one of those guys that may wind up being just too costly to outright cut but yet getting little in return.
Just say YES to a paycut and NO to a restructure. thing that is screwy is that Fiedler would not agree to a cut. OK, cut him, simple as that. let him go out and try and find a 3.7 mil contract elsewhere. Won't happen. I said it earlier already today, fiedler played us like a fine tuned fiddle and we danced. just like Philly did.
but keep in mind tho, this is just MO, of course.

Originally posted by jimmyjam
From what I have read he will not get the bonus and the $3.7 will only be attainable through incintives.

i hope you are right, but I'm a little leary of that unless it's already in his current contract. :confused:

The fact that their willing to pacify him and his request means to me that they are either planning on trying to get a QB in the draft or else they know they can't / won't get who they want (I know....2 seperate sides of the spectrum). I think they either want to keep him around at a base of a backup (with incentives to get his 3.5) since they are unsure of Feeley (for obvious reasons) or they're not sure if they'll get who they want in the draft, and if they don't.....at least they've got the FeeFee v1 and FeeFee v2 combo. If they do get their draft pick....they can always cut Jay after the draft but they need to pacify him in the meantime if they don't.

Originally posted by jbond
Just to play devil's advocate.....

Is a 3rd string QB that has only started a grand total of 13 games throughout his entire collegiate and pro career worth 3.5 mill, 18 mill over 5 years? Why isn't anyone questioning how much we're paying a QB with such limited experience?

How about the QB with (i believe) the 3rd highest winning % (currently)? And for all those who say the defense won all his games for him.....how about all the games they lost for him as well......should I start with last season? He's not a 10mill+/year QB.....get over it. If we had someone worth that we'd take a bigger hit on Defense.

Damn, that's all I've been saying about the feeley deal. It's a bad deal, period. The player is ok to have but not the deal behind it.
Besides, he's only started 5 gms and only played in only 7 total. But it was ALL of those 4th qtr stats that wowed our braintrusts tho !! :lol:

Originally posted by PHINFAN4LIFE
Jay is not the problem. A starting QB in the NFL should be worthy of a paltry 3.7 mil! I dont see any polls for Sam "where'd my man go" Madison and his 8 million cap hit!

But Jay is not a true starting QB. Jay is a starter ONLY because Bumstedt started him. He was only our starter because Bumstedt failed miserably to upgrade that position.

I realize you're new around here, but Madsion had his *** busted on pretty good around here. Look in the other threads. It's just in the last week, our attention has been diverted somewhat??!! ;)

Originally posted by DeDolfan

Damn, that's all I've been saying about the feeley deal. It's a bad deal, period. The player is ok to have but not the deal behind it.
Besides, he's only started 5 gms and only played in only 7 total. But it was ALL of those 4th qtr stats that wowed our braintrusts tho !! :lol:

Hopefully they'll be right :) Only time will tell. I'm just not very comforted yet by the QB moves they're making and I hope things work out....I'll cross my fingers just like the FO :lol:

Originally posted by PHINFAN4LIFE

When your rusher was suppose to top 2000, as the playcallin and gameplan were geared for and your top 5 defense cant tackle it doesnt!

:confused:
:confused:
:confused: Supposed to have over 2000? Sez who? He still went for close to 1400 on the "we're gonna be one of the best passing Os in the league" Os :rolleyes: Yup, we sure lit it up, ya??
:lol: :lol:

Re: Re: Is Jay worth 3.7?

Originally posted by DeDolfan

First of all, I will go on record as saying that I supported a paycut for Fiedler, not a restructure.
A paycut is just that, a cut. He would simply agree to a cut of whatever. Say he agreed to a 2 mil CUT, he makes 1.7 instead of 3.7, still a little steep for a backup, but for illustration purposes mainly. Even so, with a 1.7 salary added to his amortized portion of 1.1, he's still a 2.8 cap hit. But he apparently is going to restructure instead and by doing so will NOT accept less unless you're looking strictly at his new base, but will be getting more of his future bases paid up front in another bonus which will be amortized into new $$ that will be pushed ahead for more yrs. in other words, we'll save on the hit now but we'll be paying more for yrs to come overall. ideally, you only restructure players that are worth keeping around like Zack and JT, etc. Not the like of a Fiedler and madison, whose play has not been living up to the contract. This could make Fiedler one of those guys that may wind up being just too costly to outright cut but yet getting little in return.
Just say YES to a paycut and NO to a restructure. thing that is screwy is that Fiedler would not agree to a cut. OK, cut him, simple as that. let him go out and try and find a 3.7 mil contract elsewhere. Won't happen. I said it earlier already today, fiedler played us like a fine tuned fiddle and we danced. just like Philly did.
but keep in mind tho, this is just MO, of course.

I agree about the salary pay cut, it would give us cap savings with no additional dead money. However, Griese got a 1 million bonus & a $500,000 salary with a 6 million option bonus this year. Basicaly 1.5 mill last year & the 6.5 mill this year as insurance for Miami if he ended up starting and taking us to the superbowl. So how much is Fiedler worth in comparison? I bet Wanny talks Speilman into giving Fiedler a 1.7 salary AND a 2 mill bonus with a 6 mill option bonus next year, 1.3 mill cap savings this year! Won't that be great!:mad:

Re: Re: Re: Is Jay worth 3.7?

Originally posted by Eshlemon

I agree about the salary pay cut, it would give us cap savings with no additional dead money. However, Griese got a 1 million bonus & a $500,000 salary with a 6 million option bonus this year. Basicaly 1.5 mill last year & the 6.5 mill this year as insurance for Miami if he ended up starting and taking us to the superbowl. So how much is Fiedler worth in comparison? I bet Wanny talks Speilman into giving Fiedler a 1.7 salary AND a 2 mill bonus with a 6 mill option bonus next year, 1.3 mill cap savings this year! Won't that be great!:mad:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
But believe one thing tho, Wannstedt carries more weight than is advertised tho. ;)

Look on the bright side, 1.3 mill saved AND having Feeley and Fiedler as our QBs might not be a bad thing.

Wanny will probably call this "Feeley insurance" in case he ends up being a bust. Then at least Wanny would have his boy Fiedler. But with Fiedler in camp how legitimate is Feeley's shot?

50/50 Does this make this another "feel" thing? If they go to camp, I'd be impressed if Feeley actually won out as Jay has the upper hand with knowledge of the system and familiarity with the players cuz I don't think either one has the strongest arm from what I know/have read.

Exactly...I'll always wonder how much better Griese would have been if he'd had a full camp...at least Feeley will have that. And with Feeley and Fiedler having about the same option and dead money next year (all guesswork on my part), only one will be back in 2005.
If Feeley, we've got our QB of the future. If Fiedler we'll go thru the same QB mess next offseason.

Back
Top Bottom