Is Sieler really a starter? Where should we play Davis and Wilkins? Should we resign Godchaux? Which position on the DL should we upgrade? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Sieler really a starter? Where should we play Davis and Wilkins? Should we resign Godchaux? Which position on the DL should we upgrade?

He is!

The type of plays he makes are more fitting of a RDT, though. I would like a bit more pass rush from my LE even if it's just my base LE.

He's been mostly playing LE.
I understood the Pats defenses that Flores was a part of, featured a hulking d-line, a shutdown CB, and playmakers at the LB spot.

Don't recall too many sack masters.

I am hoping for Tyler Shelvin or Jordan Davis in the 3rd round. Either of those massive guys at NT clogs the middle. Start Davis and Wilkins at DE. Sieler is depth.

Same.

I'm looking at filling the depth in at that position at pick 81. We can replace Godchaux by increasing the snaps of Davis and Sieler, and adding a mid rounder for depth. Personally, I'm hoping for Shelvin.

I understood the Pats defenses that Flores was a part of, featured a hulking d-line, a shutdown CB, and playmakers at the LB spot.

Don't recall too many sack masters.
I know but still if you watch Wilkins play LE the plays he does make are more just plain stops than plays in the backfield. That's all fine and Dandy but I feel we just play Wilkins there because we have no one else.

I just know we were soft against the run so first a good middle linebacker, possible nose tackle helps solves that issue. Also looking at a decent backup to McCain who needs a bit more thump. That's 3 defensive pickups with yes later rounds but if we can get a outside great de edge rusher then offense might have to suffer.

I just know we were soft against the run so first a good middle linebacker, possible nose tackle helps solves that issue. Also looking at a decent backup to McCain who needs a bit more thump. That's 3 defensive pickups with yes later rounds but if we can get a outside great de edge rusher then offense might have to suffer.

I think we can get another body on the D line and an ILB wo compromising our investment on offensive weapons.

I wouldn't look for a replacement for McCain unless we straight dump him which I would have no problem w, although I just don't see us doing it.

I think we'll need a 4th Safety if anything with Kavon probably leaving although I would not be surprised if we brought him back also if he's cheap.

IMO McCain, Rowe and Jones are locks although again I would not at all be upset if we dumped McCain I just don't see it happening.

Need a DL with more of a pass rush threat but I think the line plays more to let the LBs make the plays.

So in essence, we need to get more out of our LBs, lol.

Why not both?

how often are we in a 3 man front?

how often are we in a 4 man front?

if we are running 3 down linemen a significant amount of time, getting a true NT is a high priority.

NT is not Raekwon or Christian's best position (or even Godchaux if he comes back).
Great questions @circumstances !

We play more nickel than base, and we play dime a bit as well. Nickel means 5 DB's so only a total of 6 players divided between DL and LB, which typically means only 2 LB's. Sometimes it's a 33, sometimes it's a 42, sometimes it's a 32 or 41. Our strength is our ability to morph into different looks and still fill the roles. An example would be Kyle Van Noy, he's an OLB much of the time, but plays as a DE quite often. When Wilkins is an LDE and Van Noy becomes a pass rusher, that essentially plays Wilkins as a LDT. Our defense is hard to prepare for because of our versatility, but even worse for offenses, we're incredibly unpredictable, because it's hard to identify traditional roles. Typically QB's want to identify the Mike (Middle LB) and the Safeties coverage, and if they can determine what the CB's are doing (Man vs. Zone vs. Combo). Those reads for the Mike and DL front are hard for teams against us, because our LB's can lineup as an OLB, and shift into an ILB or up to a DE, or slide back into a zone coverage. We might have a DT who drops into coverage over the middle and completely surprises a QB who doesn't expect them to be there ... and that sort of defensive unpredictability sometimes produces takeaways.

When we draft edge players, there aren't as many Emmanuel Ogbah DE types as we're looking for Kyle Van Noy hybrid OLB/DE types. Our defense is unusual, and extremely adaptable. It's not the most elite at anything, but it is designed to be good against everything and hard for teams to play against. Games like the Bills blowout don't usually happen. Having a combo like Byron Jones being a shutdown CB and Xavien Howard being a takeaway monster, this defense really can be a nightmare for passing offenses. When we lacked a pass rush, it simply didn't work. But with the additions of Ogbah and Van Noy as well as the emergence of guys like Van Ginkel, we've really forced QB's to get the ball out of their hands quickly, allowing Jones to blanket guys and cause 3-and-outs, or gamble on throwing at X and getting INT's, or throwing into the danger zone over the middle and never getting a bobbled ball, late throw, or fall victim to dropping DT's.

Our defense is like a minefield. They are forced to run through the minefield by our pass rush, and we blow up their offense quite often because of it.

I think we're ok with Benito Jones, Strow and Ogbah to back up our 3 DTs. If not we should go for Alim McNeill or Marlon Tuipolotu.

Marvin Wilson is being forgotten. He shouldn't be overlooked because he tried to help his team by playing with a knee injury. It looks like he's fallen in a lot of people's eyes so he could be good value in the 3rd \ 4th.

Seiler is a ROTATION GUY....Immediately stopped reading!

Seiler is a ROTATION GUY....Immediately stopped reading!
And that is because you AGREE he's a rotation guy or because you disagree?

LOL! Did your ape get the super intelligence serum or not?

Boogha, boogha, ape agree, stop reading.

Sieler and Ogbah wore down late. That's probably par for them. Always thing regression instead of straight line uptick, if the ability level is not outstanding.

I don't think Davis can make enough plays outside. He's best where he is, a big clogger.

We've got lots of impressive hard trying guys on defense. The problem in 2021 is that the turnover rate figures to regress and also the injury situation on the entire team figures to be less positive. I have seen others post those themes and be met with denial. But you've got to look at it that way. The historically random aspects seldom trend in the same direction multiple seasons in a row.

Back
Top Bottom