J-Off's Board V1 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J-Off's Board V1

Ahkello Witherspoon looks great if we go that route. PersonallyI like Lippett and Howard. Just need a nickel

Witherspoon plays very passive for my long. But I admit thats a personal thing and there will be FOs for whom that isn't any concern.

Ahkello Witherspoon looks great if we go that route. PersonallyI like Lippett and Howard. Just need a nickel

I can appreciate that. A few months ago, CK and I discussed the pros/cons of Lippett vs Maxwell and how the team should proceed with the position. He made some solid points. I still would prefer to keep Maxwell, and I would still be open to CB at 54, depending on the board.

If pass rusher/LB is thin at 54, and you're looking at Witherspoon or Griffin, I'd feel good about drafting either. I'd feel that either would likely be an upgrade by year 2. As the saying goes, you can never have too many CB's. Griffin could compete, certainly has the toughness, for the slot as a rookie, and he has the length and speed to kick outside in his 2nd season; Witherspoon could be used as a match-up piece as a rookie and, like Griffin, kick outside in year 2.

There are, of course, other positions to consider, but CB may present the most premium talent at 54.

Witherspoon plays very passive for my long. But I admit thats a personal thing and there will be FOs for whom that isn't any concern.

It's less than ideal, but I think we're either seeing different levels of severity, or you're just really picky :brewskis: I think it's the former, but I do admit that it's an area that needs improvement. Are you speaking of his tackling and coverage or just his tackling?

Hey J-Off --- what are your thoughts on Adoree Jackson? I've seen him live a couple of times and I'm not sure why he's not ranked higher among the corners, especially considering he's an elite kick returner. Maybe it has something to do with being 5-10?

Just seems like he'd be a great addition for Miami as someone who could start out in the slot and returning kicks. Looks like a first rounder to me.

J, any thoughts on Ben Boulware in the late rounds? I loved the guy at Clemson but have no idea if he fits here or if his game even translates to the pros.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

J, any thoughts on Ben Boulware in the late rounds? I loved the guy at Clemson but have no idea if he fits here or if his game even translates to the pros.

Good college player, but I think he's just too slow to play LB in the NFL. His 4.85 40 probably translates to something more like 4.90-4.95 - not that 4.85 is good enough. Just all around, I'd be surprised he made a 53-man roster.

Hey J-Off --- what are your thoughts on Adoree Jackson? I've seen him live a couple of times and I'm not sure why he's not ranked higher among the corners, especially considering he's an elite kick returner. Maybe it has something to do with being 5-10?

Just seems like he'd be a great addition for Miami as someone who could start out in the slot and returning kicks. Looks like a first rounder to me.

I'm seeing him ranked in the 2nd, which looks right to me. Reasons he's not a 1st RD pick to me:

- 5'10 (as you note)
- inconsistent tape/doesn't show a firm grasp of leverage, which causes him to allow separation

It's hard to draft a 5'10 CB in the 1st. Jackson is a good prospect, but he comes with too many concerns for me to like him in the 1st. With regard to why other CB's are rated ahead of him, it's probably a combination of length and polish (depending on the CB in question).

Good college player, but I think he's just too slow to play LB in the NFL. His 4.85 40 probably translates to something more like 4.90-4.95 - not that 4.85 is good enough. Just all around, I'd be surprised he made a 53-man roster.
That sucks, I like the guy. I appreciate the information and analysis.

I'm seeing him ranked in the 2nd, which looks right to me. Reasons he's not a 1st RD pick to me:

- 5'10 (as you note)
- inconsistent tape/doesn't show a firm grasp of leverage, which causes him to allow separation

It's hard to draft a 5'10 CB in the 1st. Jackson is a good prospect, but he comes with too many concerns for me to like him in the 1st. With regard to why other CB's are rated ahead of him, it's probably a combination of length and polish (depending on the CB in question).

Thanks J-Off. Really appreciate all your draft analysis. I don't get to watch nearly as much college football as I'd like these days so really get a lot out of this board. CK and Slimm certainly offer a lot of draft information as well.

I haven't seen some of the top guys talked about like Reddick, Cunningham and Willis (other than highlights). From what I've seen, I tend to think Watt would be my current choice in round 1 if he's there. I know Miami has never put a big emphasis on linebackers so I think it's more likely the team will look at Charlton, Willis or a top corner.

Thanks J-Off. Really appreciate all your draft analysis. I don't get to watch nearly as much college football as I'd like these days so really get a lot out of this board. CK and Slimm certainly offer a lot of draft information as well.

I haven't seen some of the top guys talked about like Reddick, Cunningham and Willis (other than highlights). From what I've seen, I tend to think Watt would be my current choice in round 1 if he's there. I know Miami has never put a big emphasis on linebackers so I think it's more likely the team will look at Charlton, Willis or a top corner.

It's my pleasure. Slimm and CK do a great job, no doubt. I like Reddick and think he'd be a worthy pick at #22, but I think you're right to favor Watt. My order of preference (of those players): 1. Willis, 1a. Watt, 2. Reddick, 3. Cunninham, 4. Someone else, 5. Charlton.

Player 1 will be 23 in July - 6'5, 274lbs, 35 5/8" arms, 10 1/2" hands, 4.92 40, 33" vert, 125" broad, 7.07 3-cone, 4.36 20-YS - had 112 career tackles, 23 TFL, 16.5 sacks, and 4 FF
Player 2 will be 23 in November - 6'6, 277lbs, 34 1/4" arms, 9 3/4 " hands, 4.92 40, 33" vert, 116" broad, 7.17 3-cone, 4.39 20-YS - had 91 career tackles, 28 TFL, 19 sacks, and 1 FF

Player 1 is Deatrich Wise, currently viewed as a 4th/5th RD pick, and Player 2, of course, is Taco Charlton, currently viewed as a 1st RD pick. Measurements, tests, and stats aren't everything, but Taco is an "upside" prospect, and I think whoever drafts him, assuming it's in the first, will discover that there's no there there. Wise actually presents much better upside, and Daeshon Hall is a better prospect than either. He's good enough that he should be receiving some fringe, 1st-round love. I mentioned it before, but he compares very favorably to Chandler Jones.

IMO there are some positive traits that translate and because of them, I wouldn't be opposed to rolling the dice on him to see if he defies the odds. He has the same traits that have allowed previous players at the position to defy the odds, and that's important. Conveniently, he's not being rated as draftable. So that means rolling the dice doesn't cost me anything. I'm cool with that.

What I would caution is that in terms of whom we should be valuing above a Ben Boulware, you've got to look at a Steven Taylor and say this guy should go above Boulware. We've got to roll the dice on a Steven Taylor before a Ben Boulware. We can't get trapped by visuals to where we're stuck in this narrative of Boulware being the next defying the odds Zach Thomas guy, when Steven Taylor is the guy who really hits those play making levers.

J-off, I'm kind of confused by your post. The 1-5 part.

Is "player 4", Wise?

Then I assume you just listed him and taco as player 1 / 2 to compare them?

Ck- what round do you take that gamble? 6? 7?

J-off, I'm kind of confused by your post. The 1-5 part.

Is "player 4", Wise?

Then I assume you just listed him and taco as player 1 / 2 to compare them?

Ck- what round do you take that gamble? 6? 7?

No, I'm just saying, I'd take almost anyone who has been mentioned as a possibility over Charlton.

IMO there are some positive traits that translate and because of them, I wouldn't be opposed to rolling the dice on him to see if he defies the odds. He has the same traits that have allowed previous players at the position to defy the odds, and that's important. Conveniently, he's not being rated as draftable. So that means rolling the dice doesn't cost me anything. I'm cool with that.

What I would caution is that in terms of whom we should be valuing above a Ben Boulware, you've got to look at a Steven Taylor and say this guy should go above Boulware. We've got to roll the dice on a Steven Taylor before a Ben Boulware. We can't get trapped by visuals to where we're stuck in this narrative of Boulware being the next defying the odds Zach Thomas guy, when Steven Taylor is the guy who really hits those play making levers.

I'll be rooting for Boulware and Taylor and agree that a team should favor Taylor, who has more career sacks and TFL than most of the top Edge players. I'm also rooting for Taylor to put up a decent Pro Day today. It's not hard to see some limitations, but I'd be thrilled with anything under 4.8 for Taylor. That wouldn't propel him into the early, or even middle, rounds, but it'd make him draftable.

Back
Top Bottom