J-off's Sideways Board For Miami | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J-off's Sideways Board For Miami

As an FSU fan, it pains me to agree. I feel like I am pretty non-biased with my Noles, although I was beating the drum for Derwin last year, I wouldn't touch Burns in the first this year. It comes down to exactly what you are saying, and us Nole fans have seen it from Burns first year with us, his hand usage is awful. If he doesn't beat you off the first step(which to be fair, he does often), he is completely neutralized. Hes going to get drafted based purely on first step and athletic ability. I can see him being a better version of Lawson though. But it certain is going to take some transition and some hopefulness he picks it up and gets more stout.

This is an excellent post. I’m probably in love with that first step. I think that extra 20 lbs or so helps with the poa development etc. there’s no way I think that guy played north of 235 this year.

I think that’s where 34 olb might be a little dicey more than anything else. Poa.

Full time off ball lb would have to be a plan b for me. Rush lb though yeah probably too much projection with a top 15 pick.

One problem I see with Burns is him only been able to win with speed. A LB that played 33 games in college and only had 123 tackles(3.7 per game) tells me he just wants to rush the passer but as others have pointed out, I can't see him holding up at the POA. Then you have the fact that Flores likes guys that can play both the run and the pass and I just don't see Burns as a fit for us. There are a few guys to be had in round 3 that are way better fits imo. So, I'm starting to feel that O-line is very possible, specially if we can move back from 13.

That's good, that's your top 108-110 players. That's 3 rounds, day 1 and day 2. Out of those, about 2/3 or 70 players are listed as day 1 or day 2, which means Miami will should pick 3, having 3 picks on day 1 and 2, from those 70. Which ones?

This also leaves 4 picks to spend on the remaining field of players on day 3. This brings to light the fact that it is easy to pick day 1 and day 2, and difficult to pick on day 3. There aren't players left on the big board.
NFL should just do away with day 3 of the draft.

Last edited:
I find the linebacker thing with this draft extremely fascinating because Miami clearly has a "type" and it's definitely new for our team (relatively speaking). It's also a pretty idiosyncratic type to fill and thus you are intrigued with the idea of being able to find one a little bit later on, because the demand isn't high.

For example, look at Joey Alfieri, Kaden Elliss, and Emeke Egbule. These players are often overlooked because they played positions that were not high in production value. But they all showed out athletically, and they have really intriguing TRAITS on the tape.

I've mentioned a bunch of other names Miami have shown interest in. Jachai Polite, D'Andre Walker, and Ben Banogu probably headline the list. Justin Hollins as well.

But you may not find a more solid strike on exactly what the Dolphins are looking for than Hawaii LB Jahlani Tavai. This is an absolute bull's eye as far as finding a guy whose idiosyncratic makeup fits the hodge-podge of roles that New England had Dont'a Hightower and Kyle Van Noy filling one year ago. Everything from the violent hands, leverage, eyes, the energy level in pursuit, navigating through traffic, pure physicality, intelligence and communication with other players on the defense, instincts and ability to read his keys and get to his fits, physicality and recognition in coverage, blitzing the A gaps, and especially his ability to seamlessly switch back and forth between off-ball linebacker and outside pass rusher.

Watch what he does on this final 4th & 21 play before the snap. Intelligent leader of the defense.

He hasn't tested athletically because of an injury. But everything I've ever seen on him suggests he's fast enough. I see him clear half the width of the field in order to chase the ball out. He goes sideline to sideline. When plays get down the field, he's in fast pursuit. He's got the perfect size at 6'2" & 250 lbs.

It's not that he's the absolute most talented. It's that he's the absolute best fit for what Miami is looking for in this defense at linebacker.

There are enough teams doing what Miami and New England do on defense now that you wonder if they don't also have eyes on Tavai. Teams like the Lions, Patriots, Titans, and Ravens will be natural competitors. So it's something to keep an eye on.

This is an excellent post. I’m probably in love with that first step. I think that extra 20 lbs or so helps with the poa development etc. there’s no way I think that guy played north of 235 this year.

I think that’s where 34 olb might be a little dicey more than anything else. Poa.

Full time off ball lb would have to be a plan b for me. Rush lb though yeah probably too much projection with a top 15 pick.

He played under 225 this past season. Preseason camp he was 232, but lost some of that before the season.

He played under 225 this past season. Preseason camp he was 232, but lost some of that before the season.

So that’s another 25 lbs and it’s not like he scraped any of the atblete adding it either.

I think that helps kinda like it helped a Vic Beasley for instance. Although I’ve always felt he was miscast.

I find the linebacker thing with this draft extremely fascinating because Miami clearly has a "type" and it's definitely new for our team (relatively speaking). It's also a pretty idiosyncratic type to fill and thus you are intrigued with the idea of being able to find one a little bit later on, because the demand isn't high.

For example, look at Joey Alfieri, Kaden Elliss, and Emeke Egbule. These players are often overlooked because they played positions that were not high in production value. But they all showed out athletically, and they have really intriguing TRAITS on the tape.

I've mentioned a bunch of other names Miami have shown interest in. Jachai Polite, D'Andre Walker, and Ben Banogu probably headline the list. Justin Hollins as well.

But you may not find a more solid strike on exactly what the Dolphins are looking for than Hawaii LB Jahlani Tavai. This is an absolute bull's eye as far as finding a guy whose idiosyncratic makeup fits the hodge-podge of roles that New England had Dont'a Hightower and Kyle Van Noy filling one year ago. Everything from the violent hands, leverage, eyes, the energy level in pursuit, navigating through traffic, pure physicality, intelligence and communication with other players on the defense, instincts and ability to read his keys and get to his fits, physicality and recognition in coverage, blitzing the A gaps, and especially his ability to seamlessly switch back and forth between off-ball linebacker and outside pass rusher.

Watch what he does on this final 4th & 21 play before the snap. Intelligent leader of the defense.

He hasn't tested athletically because of an injury. But everything I've ever seen on him suggests he's fast enough. I see him clear half the width of the field in order to chase the ball out. He goes sideline to sideline. When plays get down the field, he's in fast pursuit. He's got the perfect size at 6'2" & 250 lbs.

It's not that he's the absolute most talented. It's that he's the absolute best fit for what Miami is looking for in this defense at linebacker.

There are enough teams doing what Miami and New England do on defense now that you wonder if they don't also have eyes on Tavai. Teams like the Lions, Patriots, Titans, and Ravens will be natural competitors. So it's something to keep an eye on.

Ever since I was made aware of him, I have been all in on Tavai. A 3 down backer and the best thing is that you can get him(I would think) in the middle rds. I just hope the new regime is as high on him as I am.

Great stuff, J-Off. I think it may be hard for Flores to load up on offense as he has more experience on the other side of the ball. But. we don't know maybe he'll see it the same way many of us fans do.

Would love David Montgomery in the fourth round. I know this is a value chart and I expect he'll go sooner, third maybe.

Great stuff, J-Off. I think it may be hard for Flores to load up on offense as he has more experience on the other side of the ball. But. we don't know maybe he'll see it the same way many of us fans do.

Would love David Montgomery in the fourth round. I know this is a value chart and I expect he'll go sooner, third maybe.
Flores has already said in interviews that we need to take care of the O-line. The question is, when do they draft O-line. I see people here who wants O-line in the first round and I've seen people who want defense first and O-line later but none of that matters. What matters is when does Grier/Flores draft O-line. 10 more days to go.

Flores has already said in interviews that we need to take care of the O-line. The question is, when do they draft O-line. I see people here who wants O-line in the first round and I've seen people who want defense first and O-line later but none of that matters. What matters is when does Grier/Flores draft O-line. 10 more days to go.

Personally I think it’s Right Tackle at 13 if either Taylor or Williams are there.

We only have 3 tackles on the current depth chart, one of them came from the AAF and the other is Sterup, not sure which is worse.

It is a glaring, gaping hole that needs to be filled.

Personally I think it’s Right Tackle at 13 if either Taylor or Williams are there.

We only have 3 tackles on the current depth chart, one of them came from the AAF and the other is Sterup, not sure which is worse.

It is a glaring, gaping hole that needs to be filled.
Davis might start at RT but of course we'll need at least one guard and a center. Drafting a RT at 13 is not the way you start building a team. You can get a RT later on in the draft or like I said, you roll with Davis and get your guards in the draft but not at 13.

Excellent post, CK, and I agree that part.of the appeal of the particular asks of NE's OLB's and DE is that some very good players who don't fit as well/have the same value for most NFL D's. So, you're getting those guys closer to the range where other teams value them. I'd probably be willing to see what falls to the 4th (3rd at the earliest).

I was really interested in Tavai heading into 2018. He has the instincts by far of the group, and his playstyle is most similar to Van Noy's. If he ran in the mid-low 4.7's, he'd be in that group with Hollins for me, but think his 40 projection was something like 4.84. There were times when I questioned his speed on tape, where he just didn't get to the spot he needed, and I think my summary was something like - Has mind and body of a good NFL LB, but does he have the wheels? I still should have included him in the late-round group (because maybe he isn't too slow), but I really wanted to see him run.

Drew Lock isn't elite but I do think rating him that low might be a little over-done.

He was #4 in all of FBS in passer efficiency in 2017. They changed offenses. He actually got better, but there was an acclimation period.

First six games of the year he had a 132.5 efficiency rating, which would put him right where Daniel Jones was for the entire year at Duke...down in the 60's among FBS quarterbacks.

Final seven games of the year Lock had a 163.5 efficiency rating, which would've put him right back where he was in 2017 in the Top 10 among FBS quarterbacks.

I've got nits about Lock that resemble some I had about Ryan Tannehill but this is not Ryan Tannehill. This is not Jay Cutler, either. He's been efficient in the SEC, especially if you consider the interruption that typically happens when you change offenses, and then he went to the Senior Bowl and was clearly the best QB there both during the week and during the game.

I'd be tickled to take a shot on this guy in the 2nd round. I'm mostly scared off him in the 1st round because I don't trust anyone but myself to cut bait in a timely fashion and continue investing in the position rather than feeling 'stuck' with a previous investment.

I can appreciate significantly elevating Lock's stock because he's a QB. If he hits, the value spike for QB vs any other position is tremendous. He throws a beautiful deep ball, is a good athlete, and has a very strong arm. His throwing accuracy isn't bad. His real-world accuracy (excluding 20+ yard throws) was very poor. I don't know if you can simplify things enough for a QB who processes that slowly, whose instincts are that bad.

I buy the argument that if you also get to make the decision of when to move on from Lock, know you'll continue to draft QB's early, Lock's low chance at success may be worth an early pick. He also has very sloppy feet.

I agree that Burns is overrated if the projection is 1st round. I think he's a day 2 player that needs to stay at his real playing weight and play linebacker. I thought he looked the best at the combine in the space and coverage drills.

I think he can be a De'Vondre Campbell type in the right defense.

That's a realistic scenario, but I also think Burns continuing to fill out his frame - about 6'4 1/2", almost 34" arms - is realistic. He was a successful pass rusher by any measure at FSU, and given his frame, age, and ability to run 4.53 at 249, he's well positioned to add good weight while retaining more than enough juice. I like his inside counters, and I like his timing/instincts as a pass rusher. I don't think he's a fit for everyone, but I'd want to see how he fills out and peg him for development as a Rush LB. If he doesn't impress, taking away his pass-rush opportunities, and focusing his attention at LB is always an option.

Back
Top Bottom