J. Russell | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J. Russell

TexanPhinatic said:
Kinda like Troy Smith, who also is also MUCH more polished and a better passer. A strong arm and big body do not a QB make.

Smith is a much better prospect imo-a guy who can make all the plays. Im kinda surprised Russell is considered a first rounder, he will likely be a project.

Although I am adamant about taking a QB in the first, Russell is one I think I would take a pass on. MAYBE if hes there in the second we could pull the trigger then, but Id almost rather take Kolb in the third if it comes to that.

Quinn, Brohm and Smith are the big three (assuming Brohm comes out-questionable atm).

Jamarcus Russell has more tools than Troy Smith. I think Troy Smith will only be a back-up in the NFL.

Skeet84 said:
Jamarcus Russell has more tools than Troy Smith. I think Troy Smith will only be a back-up in the NFL.

Aside from being bigger, what?

Both can scramble well, both have cannons for arms. The difference is that Smith is a better passer. Russell is an athlete playing QB, whereas Smith is an athletic QB-yes there is a BIG difference.

Hard to teach what Smith already does-just ask Mike Vick, or DC for that matter.

TexanPhinatic said:
Hard to teach what Smith already does-just ask Mike Vick, or DC for that matter.

Up to this line I thought you were defending Troy

TexanPhinatic said:
Aside from being bigger, what?

Both can scramble well, both have cannons for arms. The difference is that Smith is a better passer. Russell is an athlete playing QB, whereas Smith is an athletic QB-yes there is a BIG difference.

Ummm No. Smith does not have better tools than Russell. I do think at this point that Troy Smith is better tho. Russell's height really will help him. I think that Russell can become a better QB and he has a much stronger arm than Smith.

Skeet84 said:
Ummm No. Smith does not have better tools than Russell. I do think at this point that Troy Smith is better tho. Russell's height really will help him. I think that Russell can become a better QB and he has a much stronger arm than Smith.

Smiths arm is not under question, its a cannon. He can (and does) get the ball where it needs to go. Russells height is the only real difference, and honestly its not a big deal. Drew Brees shorter stature hasnt held him back this season has it?

Stacks, I am defending Smith. Im saying Smith already has the vision and field awareness, decision making and throw first mentality that Vick and DC lack and seem to be unable to learn. THAT kind of thing is very hard if not impossible to teach, and with Smith we wont have to try cause hes got it!

He doesnt make stupid plays and throw dumb INTs and drop the ball for fumbles.

TexanPhinatic said:
Smiths arm is not under question, its a cannon. He can (and does) get the ball where it needs to go. Russells height is the only real difference, and honestly its not a big deal. Drew Brees shorter stature hasnt held him back this season has it?

Stacks, I am defending Smith. Im saying Smith already has the vision and field awareness, decision making and throw first mentality that Vick and DC lack and seem to be unable to learn. THAT kind of thing is very hard if not impossible to teach, and with Smith we wont have to try cause hes got it!

He doesnt make stupid plays and throw dumb INTs and drop the ball for fumbles.

height is a factor and just because one QB does well and is smaller does not mean another one will. height is a huge factor in being an NFL QB. Russell has a much much stronger arm than Smith. Now Smith will be a good back-up, But I don't think he is a starter in the league. I don't think Russell is NFL ready yet either and is awhile away, But I think he will be better than Smith in the NFL.

Height is nice, but overrated. Id much rather have a shorter QB who knows what hes doing and makes the plays, than a tall QB who doesnt and throws into triple coverage routinely.

Thats like saying we should take a NT just because he weighs 360 pounds, its nice to have but its not the biggest factor-id rather have a guys whos a little lighter but knows how to tie people up and hit the gaps than just stand there and shove at linemen.

Id rather have the slower CB who knows how to cover than the fast one who gets burned every time a reciever makes a cut.

Etc.

Its nice to have, but overrated. While coaches and scouts are busy creaming themselves over stuff like that, the guy who showed the right mechanics and skill in college are slipping, then turn out to be the better pro anyway.

Troy Smith is a better NFL prospect then Russell, right now. Russell needs to improve mentally not physically, Smith has already done this.

Given time and proper coaching literally the skys the limit for Russell. Just not right now.

No more Daunte Culpepper clones, thanks. People who say arm strength and size are overrated are correct. Measurables are sure nice to have, but I'm sick of fans taking the 'best athlete' quarterback over the best passer. Give me the smartest, coolest customer who can consistently throw the ball accurately and make the best decisions, anytime.

NO. MORE. RUNNING. QUARTERBACKS.

Let someone else squander several years of their franchise with a showboating, one-trick pony. We've wasted enough time at this position already.

I hope Saban has figured out by this point what works in the NFL and what doesn't. Hey Nick, which one would you take now, Brees or Culpepper?

Tailgun said:
No more Daunte Culpepper clones, thanks. People who say arm strength and size are overrated are correct. Measurables are sure nice to have, but I'm sick of fans taking the 'best athlete' quarterback over the best passer. Give me the smartest, coolest customer who can consistently throw the ball accurately and make the best decisions, anytime.

exactly!

:jt0323:

Times like these make me thankful that we are just fans here and not actually running the team.

T Smith for QB! reminds me a bit of mcnabb.

SR 7 said:
T Smith for QB! reminds me a bit of mcnabb.

I would actually say Russell is more of an NFL McNabb while Troy Smith is more of a College McNabb

Russell is like DC, college and likely pro. Big guy with a strong arm but little in the way of ability to read a defense and such.

T. Smith is more like McNabb-more passing less running, good instincts. Except Smith doesnt shrink away in big games :)

Back
Top Bottom