J. Russell | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J. Russell

Russell isn't really a scrambling type but he is a strong, lumbering runner. In the Tenn game a safety hit him from behind full bore and he bounced off like a mosquito. It usually takes more than one person to bring him down and by that time he has unloaded the ball.

The biggest knock is his decision making. He tends to completely forget what should be second nature for a quarterback...especially in big games. BUT...he can come up with huge plays to negate the bad. He had 5 picks last year against Florida and came back with a win. He had 4 this season against Tenn and still found a way to bring in another win. I would say another year in college would be best. Rumor has it he is shopping for an insurance policy that would pay off if he gets hurt next season. If it is reasonable he will stay his senior year. If that happens this guy will be phenominal by the time he comes out. If he goes this season he could be a project for a year of so.

His passing abilty needs a little work. He tends to throw behind or overthrow at times causing his recievers to make some acrobatic moves to get the ball. Other times he is spot on and the times he is off are getting fewer and fewer. If he gets that cannon of an arm under control (he can throw 60 yards from his knees) he will be hard to stop.

On top of that he is one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. From helping out nearly 20 people in his apartment after Katrina to stopping and trading ball caps and giving hugs to a handicap kid after each game this dude is one class act.

Its nice to see those kind of class people around. Im getting tired of drafting guys with questionable character. Still would like to see us take Brohm or Smith-both of whom I see as NFL ready with just as much upside. If we cant though and Russell is available in the second I wouldnt be unhappy. Just am not sold on his mental game yet and think a first is risky.

I'd rather have Brohm...maybe Troy Smith...

I don't see that special inate quality in Russell...he often looks pedestrian despite his physical attributes.

TexanPhinatic said:
Its nice to see those kind of class people around. Im getting tired of drafting guys with questionable character. Still would like to see us take Brohm or Smith-both of whom I see as NFL ready with just as much upside. If we cant though and Russell is available in the second I wouldnt be unhappy. Just am not sold on his mental game yet and think a first is risky.

You really don't know much about Troy Smith do you?

Anyone that is involved in a fight with 5 females in which one ended up with a broken jaw is anything but classy. I'd like to believe he's matured a bit since then but defending him saying he's so classy is a bit much.

Motion said:
:jt0323:

Times like these make me thankful that we are just fans here and not actually running the team.
Makes me thankful for a little place where serenity can be found.
</IMG>

COramprat said:
Russell isn't really a scrambling type but he is a strong, lumbering runner. In the Tenn game a safety hit him from behind full bore and he bounced off like a mosquito. It usually takes more than one person to bring him down and by that time he has unloaded the ball.

The biggest knock is his decision making. He tends to completely forget what should be second nature for a quarterback...especially in big games. BUT...he can come up with huge plays to negate the bad. He had 5 picks last year against Florida and came back with a win. He had 4 this season against Tenn and still found a way to bring in another win. I would say another year in college would be best. Rumor has it he is shopping for an insurance policy that would pay off if he gets hurt next season. If it is reasonable he will stay his senior year. If that happens this guy will be phenominal by the time he comes out. If he goes this season he could be a project for a year of so.

His passing abilty needs a little work. He tends to throw behind or overthrow at times causing his recievers to make some acrobatic moves to get the ball. Other times he is spot on and the times he is off are getting fewer and fewer. If he gets that cannon of an arm under control (he can throw 60 yards from his knees) he will be hard to stop.

On top of that he is one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. From helping out nearly 20 people in his apartment after Katrina to stopping and trading ball caps and giving hugs to a handicap kid after each game this dude is one class act.

I, like you, have been following him. He really is a nice guy, and one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that he is no dummy. Last year he was a SEC academic all american. I believe that with more experience he has the tools needed to be a good QB in the NFL.
Wouldnt it be great to have somebody like him learning from Daunte. In 2-3 years this kid could be special!

russel would be the only QB i want the dolphins to draft. not a fan of brohm or quinn. smith is too short.

Russel has moved his way into the first round and theres only two teams that need a QB in front of is once Det selects Quinn #1 overall. Oakland who i believe will select Calvin Johnson, and Cleveland if they decide Frye or Anderson isnt there future. So the question is if he is there when we pick do we select him.

He's improved a lot in that area this season but a lot of scouts believe he'll be the second QB taken, just behind Brady Quinn. His physical tools are immense, he is almost a carbon copy (physically) of Daunte.

Charlie Wies said that Quinn reminded him of a young C-Pep.

What's weird with this is that several scouting reports have him as being a more intelligent younger version of Daunte Culpepper. Personally I would prefer a younger version of Steve McNair and I see a little of that in his game. I wouldnt be averse to drafting him but if we did then I would think Daunte would be out of here by 2008

He's improved a lot in that area this season but a lot of scouts believe he'll be the second QB taken, just behind Brady Quinn. His physical tools are immense, he is almost a carbon copy (physically) of Daunte.

Why would you want a carbon copy of what you already have? I'd rather see another top QB with a different set of skills to compete with DC for the future of the QB position.

Why would you want a carbon copy of what you already have? I'd rather see another top QB with a different set of skills to compete with DC for the future of the QB position.
Exactly. Although, count me among those who don't want any versions of Daunte Culpepper on this team: either the current or any newer 'versions'.

Back
Top Bottom