Jalen Hurts with Miami's 2nd 1st Round Pick - Why Not? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jalen Hurts with Miami's 2nd 1st Round Pick - Why Not?

Love to watch Jalen, love his intangibles and his character. But he is NOT a 1st rd QB. Period!

Two reasons... both of which you will disagree with.

1) He isn't an NFL QB. He doesn't throw well enough. He is run first.
2) Too high, even if you want to build an offense around his skillset. He will fall farther than this.

Agreed...I don’t see NFL accuracy on his throws... Run heavy QB’s get beaten up in the NFL.

Some pretty good "passing" here as well as runs. Dont be scared yall! Im not saying take him with the 1st pick. Im saying take him with 1 of the 1sts other than the 1st lol. Maybe even the second. Hes not gonna last that long though watch.

Well of course those throws look good they are highlights, that's what they are supposed to show. And even in this there are under thrown balls, or guys are wide open and have to stop to catch the ball, not like sitting in a zone but like stop to catch it because he failed to lead the receiver. Not to mention the Big 12 plays no defense, looked at some mock drafts and the Big 12 as a conference had like 3 defensive players go in the top 3 rounds, hell Ohio State will have 3 guys go in the top 25 and probably 4 or 5 go in the first 50. So I hope with that system and a conference that plays no D he puts up numbers.

He has 222 completions and 219 rushing attempts, he isn't big like Cam or nearly as athletic as Kap, Vick or Jackson. He is a one read and run, while i think he is an interesting prospect I do not get the 1st round love for him. He doesn't read defenses or go through progressions well and one key element I always get reminded of is what do you do when you are under pressure because all of your bad qualities will come out. He is going to run and he doesn't possess elite speed or high end elusiveness he is more like an average RB so he will take hits. Which adds up fast in the NFL especially when you have 600 yes that's right 600 college carries already, btw he didn't play much for one of those years.

I think experience is important, and he has tons so we will see. He isnt in the same class of athlete or prospect of Jackson and many saw him as a 2nd round guy so I can only hope someone jumps on him in the first and lets a guy fall further hopefully its a player we need.

But to answer the OP, QB with 1A and IOL with 1C, I honestly think 1B is a wildcard and BPA. If Lamb falls we be silly not to take him if Wirfs or Epenesa or Simmons falls they will get a look. Its the only one of our first rounders I think has real flexibility.

Well of course those throws look good they are highlights, that's what they are supposed to show. And even in this there are under thrown balls, or guys are wide open and have to stop to catch the ball, not like sitting in a zone but like stop to catch it because he failed to lead the receiver. Not to mention the Big 12 plays no defense, looked at some mock drafts and the Big 12 as a conference had like 3 defensive players go in the top 3 rounds, hell Ohio State will have 3 guys go in the top 25 and probably 4 or 5 go in the first 50. So I hope with that system and a conference that plays no D he puts up numbers.

He has 222 completions and 219 rushing attempts, he isn't big like Cam or nearly as athletic as Kap, Vick or Jackson. He is a one read and run, while i think he is an interesting prospect I do not get the 1st round love for him. He doesn't read defenses or go through progressions well and one key element I always get reminded of is what do you do when you are under pressure because all of your bad qualities will come out. He is going to run and he doesn't possess elite speed or high end elusiveness he is more like an average RB so he will take hits. Which adds up fast in the NFL especially when you have 600 yes that's right 600 college carries already, btw he didn't play much for one of those years.

I think experience is important, and he has tons so we will see. He isnt in the same class of athlete or prospect of Jackson and many saw him as a 2nd round guy so I can only hope someone jumps on him in the first and lets a guy fall further hopefully its a player we need.

But to answer the OP, QB with 1A and IOL with 1C, I honestly think 1B is a wildcard and BPA. If Lamb falls we be silly not to take him if Wirfs or Epenesa or Simmons falls they will get a look. Its the only one of our first rounders I think has real flexibility.
Stop with the garbage sec bias. It ruins your post.
Hurt completed 63% and a rating of 150 during his time in bama.

I am going throw qb out there.. it might not be popular choice. Wonder if flores can fix Winston. He has talent. 456 yd passing 4 td 3 int last week.

For Hurts to be even considered a 1st round QB, shows what a remarkable year he has had (also how fantastic Lamar Jackson has been). He's an intriguing guy, probably my #4 QB right now but 1st round even with the three picks we have is too rich for me. If we have not picked a QB and he is there in the 2nd, I will most certainly want us to roll the dice on him. He's not Lamar Jackson mk 2 though, anyone who drafts him thinking he is, is going to be disappointed. He's not as elusive, he's not as good a thrower, he's much bigger and stronger and runs first most of the time. He doesn't shy away from contact, in fact he seems to welcome it, this works in College, but against grown ups in the NFL, he may not be as effective and may not last long. There is clay there to mold though but for him to be successful he's got to land in the right spot and like Jackson have a coach that is willing to build his offensive around his skill set.

Stop with the garbage sec bias. It ruins your post.
Hurt completed 63% and a rating of 150 during his time in bama.

Never mentioned the SEC you assume that because of my AVI and the fact im an admitted UGA fan, the only team I mentioned in my post was in the Big Ten. And never said he couldn't play just said I dont get the 1st round love. So take your conference anger to another place.

Stating that putting up huge numbers in that system and in that conference is almost necessary given that is lack any sort of defensive prowess in recent years is not bias.

He did have those numbers at Bama, similar numbers to Fromm and nobody here really sees him as a 1st round guy anymore. While Hurts is a better athlete, Fromm is far more pro ready with presnap abilities so both have their strengths and both have glaring weaknesses.

Never mentioned the SEC you assume that because of my AVI and the fact im an admitted UGA fan, the only team I mentioned in my post was in the Big Ten. And never said he couldn't play just said I dont get the 1st round love. So take your conference anger to another place.

Stating that putting up huge numbers in that system and in that conference is almost necessary given that is lack any sort of defensive prowess in recent years is not bias.

He did have those numbers at Bama, similar numbers to Fromm and nobody here really sees him as a 1st round guy anymore. While Hurts is a better athlete, Fromm is far more pro ready with presnap abilities so both have their strengths and both have glaring weaknesses.
Ahhh. I enjoy your posts too much and we agree and tons to bitch at you about dumping on the big 12 :)
But stop dumping on the big 12 :)

Ahhh. I enjoy your posts too much and we agree and tons to bitch at you about dumping on the big 12 :)
But stop dumping on the big 12 :)

The best offensive minds in college football are in the big 12, way ahead of the curve there for sure. I bet someone in the Big 12 will make a run at Joe Brady from LSU before long where he will set the world on fire, his concepts baffle college coaches. I see him doing what Riley and Kingsbury have done

I think your spidey sense might be spot on. There's a lot to get excited about over Hurts' game. Obviously, for him, it starts with his athletic ability. Those types of quarterbacks are hard to defend. Mahomes, Jackson, Wilson, Rodgers --- those quarterbacks make big plays down the field when they are able to move in the pocket. Corners can only cover for so long. Jackson is on another level as an athlete, able to get chunks of yards with his running ability.

Hurts doesn't have a big arm, like those guys, and scouting reports question his ability to process information quickly. But, I think Miami has the coaching staff in place to develop him. Plus, he seems pretty accurate. Year one, maybe he runs some wildcat.

Listen, I’m the biggest hoe out there when it comes to mobile QB’s but Hurts cannot play in the NFL. He’s not elusive and that will put a quick end to his rushing Career. He’s not accurate and has average arm strength that will end his passing career. That being said I’ve heard he’s an awesome dude and I root for guys like that.

Can Hurts catch the ball?

He'd be a fun toy to use while split out wide.

Back
Top Bottom