James Conner | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

James Conner

I haven’t seen much of him - only highlights. I thought he was a top back?
He's just been so-so the past few seasons stat wise. However, I think he's still the kind of back I would love to give the ball to on 3rd and 3. He's not going to break off many long runs, but he can still be a load to tackle.

he is nothing special as a running back. I see him every week. first problem is he is never healthy. He did well behind the pittsburgh line a few years ago when it was still on top of its game. Now the line has gone down hill. I hope we don't sign him. He is hurt a lot.

Gotcha. Personally, I'd go either Harris or Williams (both can serve as our primary as well as short yardage) along with Gaskin (good receiver and serviceable in all other aspects) and then invest the ~$3M we'd save in someone else like Linsley at C.
I wouldn't mind adding him as a back in the mix, but I wouldn't sign with the intent of using as the primary ball carrier. I actually think there are are going to b some backs drafted in the later rounds that end up with the right team and produce nice numbers.

I wouldn't mind adding him as a back in the mix, but I wouldn't sign with the intent of using as the primary ball carrier. I actually think there are are going to b some backs drafted in the later rounds that end up with the right team and produce nice numbers.
If we didn't have Gaskin, I wouldn't be against it but he doesn't seem to have a place provided we draft a #1 that can also serve as our short yardage back. Gaskin is a solid #2 with a really low cap #. If we draft Etienne then we probably still need a bruiser, but I'd personally rather just avoid that scenario and use that money elsewhere.

If we didn't have Gaskin, I wouldn't be against it but he doesn't seem to have a place provided we draft a #1 that can also serve as our short yardage back. Gaskin is a solid #2 with a really low cap #. If we draft Etienne then we probably still need a bruiser, but I'd personally rather just avoid that scenario and use that money elsewhere.
I think Gaskin is an ok contributer on a so-so team. If you're a team thinking about playoffs and maybe winning a game or two in post season you need better backs than Gaskin as your main contributors.

If we sign this guy, we'll have proven we've learned nothing from last season. These vet mediocre RBs don't often work out.

I think Gaskin is an ok contributer on a so-so team. If you're a team thinking about playoffs and maybe winning a game or two in post season you need better backs than Gaskin as your main contributors.
Full disclosure, I'm a big Gaskin fan. He had the 5th highest catch percentage in the nfl. Considering he was playing behind a very inexperienced oline with little talent on the outside to take pressure off the run, I thought he did really well. That's not even considering we're paying almost nothing for him. Sure you can upgrade, but that's just money we have to take away from another position. Compare that to Connors who was surrounded by far superior talent and he put up only slightly better numbers.

I wouldn’t cringe at $3 million a year. Jordan Howard’s signing last year is the only one that made me cringe.

Gaskin/Connor/mid round (Sermon, Hill, Gainwell types) rookie is a step in the right direction, again, compared to last year. It’s certainly not the scenario anyone would be dreaming about. I’m ok with kicking the can down the road and waiting until 2022 to make a splash on the position with the shortest shelf life.

I like the top 3 backs in the draft, but they have to fall to a value spot for me to bite. For Harris and Etienne that’s at 36. For Williams it’s at 50.

If come draft time I still need a center and a RB, the center is coming first.

If we don’t come out of this draft with one of

Najee Harris
Travis Etienne
Javonte Williams

we failed imo. Especially considering all the backs we passed on last year.

I'd be willing to kick the tires on Trey Sermon, Jaret Patterson or Chuba Hubbard with a later pick, if we have other pressing needs to fill first.

Ehhhh the only way i'd sign him is if we plan on waiting till the 2nd round to draft a running back. Maybe sign him to either a 2 year x 8 million total or a 3 year x 9 million total. Then draft Javonte Williams somewhere in the 2nd round.

Javonte Williams
James Conner
Myles Gaskin
Salvon Ahmed

That seems like a pretty nice group of running backs and could potentially be effective if we run by committee

Back
Top Bottom