James Conner | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

James Conner

I'd be willing to kick the tires on Trey Sermon, Jaret Patterson or Chuba Hubbard with a later pick, if we have other pressing needs to fill first.
If we plan on using a first round pick on Harris or Etienne then that's the only move i'd make at running back this offseason.

Now if we plan on waiting till the 2nd to draft a running back then i'd plan on doubling up later in the draft or sign a cheap vet.

I'm personally sketched out by using the 18th overall on a running back but if we did then I hope its Najee. Trading back a few spots from 18 to draft a running back would be the most ideal thing to do tho!

If we want wait till the 2nd round to draft a running back then we have to prepare for Harris, Etienne, and possibly even Williams to be gone already. I doubt Williams would get drafted before we pick in the 2nd round but you never know. Best case scenario Williams and Etienne are both still available when we pick in the 2nd!

James Connor would be an immediate upgrade on our RB room and at 3-4mil/yr would be a good value assuming he is healthy.

It would be great to have Gaskins and Ahmad as your #3/4 running backs - they’re both solid depth players and should only be getting major reps in a pinch or injury situatuon.

Would love for us to start improving the depth on this team across the board.

Ehhhh the only way i'd sign him is if we plan on waiting till the 2nd round to draft a running back. Maybe sign him to either a 2 year x 8 million total or a 3 year x 9 million total. Then draft Javonte Williams somewhere in the 2nd round.

Javonte Williams
James Conner
Myles Gaskin
Salvon Ahmed

That seems like a pretty nice group of running backs and could potentially be effective if we run by committee

I would think that "run by committee" is exactly what our current FO is aiming at.

I would think that "run by committee" is exactly what our current FO is aiming at.

I still think that's tbd at the moment. If we sign Aaron Jones then that wouldn't happen. If we prioritize drafting a RB in round 1 which we really can't rule out, I don't think it would happen either. If we did draft a RB and still started the season with a committee, the rookie we drafted would likely get worked in more and more as the season goes on.

The Bleacher Report says that Miami is interested in signing FA James Conner from the Steelers. They say that he can probably be acquired for $3 - 4M/ season. This is the first that I have heard of Conner being floated as a possible Dolphin.
James Conner is 25 years old, 6'1" and 233 lbs.
In 4 NFL seasons he has played in 50 games (33 as the starting RB). Conner has rushed for 2302 yds at an average of 4.3 yds/carry plus he also has 963 receiving yds. He has scored 26 TDs (22 rushing, 4 receiving) and he's fumbled the ball a total of 7 times in the NFL (4 were in 2018).
He would come much much cheaper than a top RB like Aaron Jones and I kind of like drafting someone like Najee Harris or Javonte Williams from the NC Tarheels to complement Myles Gaskin and give us multiple options at RB. If we acquired Aaron Jones there would be no point in devoting a high Draft pick to a RB because of the investment in Jones, he would probably be a workhorse and get most of the carries.
It's a no for me dawg
-Randy Jackson

Always good to have a vet on the roster.

Like Frank Gore was, like Jordan Howard was supposed to be.

I honestly don't even engage in rb talks anymore. We been one of the worst run blocking lines and perhaps we didn't see more potential in the players we brought in or have right now. As much as I like Harris because of his pass catching ability, he will be looking at peoples backs instead of seeing holes.

Our best run blocker last season was actually hunt. The rest of the line was very inconsistent. So to improve that we add Corey Lindsey, as he was one of the best interior lineman in general, and as a center. Move Hunt to guard, and draft Sewell as Sewell is the best run blocking tackle, and while his technique in the passing game needs adjustment, he is only 20 and will get stronger as he is still adding more mass to his body. As far as Jackson, he will improve from last season. Jackson looked a bit stiff and didnt seem at full strength buy he was also rough I the edges compared to the guys that were drafted. In terms of ceiling he is still getting better.

he is nothing special as a running back. I see him every week. first problem is he is never healthy. He did well behind the pittsburgh line a few years ago when it was still on top of its game. Now the line has gone down hill. I hope we don't sign him. He is hurt a lot.
Agreed. I live in western PA and see him every week as well. He was quite good the year Le'veon Bell held out for the season. Since then, he has fallen off (to be fair, the offensive line did as well). He has a great story (I have a soft spot for him as a fellow Pitt alum), but I don't want him in Miami.

I appreciate being able to discuss it but chalk me up as one of those that think our resources could be used in a better way. It's not fair, but unless a RB is really special, like Ricky Williams, I prefer to draft them rather than pay them.

I like him, especially at that projected salary.

If Miami signs Conner, I'd still draft a running back, though. Maybe even fairly high.

I like him, especially at that projected salary.

If Miami signs Conner, I'd still draft a running back, though. Maybe even fairly high.
I can see signing a guy because he's a vet and has proven he can handle his blocking assignments at the NFL level. However, aren't straight power backs with 4.6 speed easier to find in the later rounds? Any idea how deep our draft is at RB? We might be able to find a guy later on who can do similar things and let us use our FA money on a harder-to-find playmaker asset. I would target a big guy like Conner, but is much quicker than fast and can catch.

I would rather they use their cap money to sign an upgrade at center and hopefully an additional edge rusher. I think they can get a better RB in the draft than Connor at a cheaper price.

I can see signing a guy because he's a vet and has proven he can handle his blocking assignments at the NFL level. However, aren't straight power backs with 4.6 speed easier to find in the later rounds? Any idea how deep our draft is at RB? We might be able to find a guy later on who can do similar things and let us use our FA money on a harder-to-find playmaker asset. I would target a big guy like Conner, but is much quicker than fast and can catch.
I'm really hoping Miami gets Williams or Harris in the draft. Unfortunately, both of those players are now being mocked in the first round.

It's hard to envision Miami picking a running back at #18. Perhaps with a trade down from that position?

Stevenson, from Oklahoma, might be a good fit for Miami as a power guy. I don't think he is highly regarded as a receiver. He might be available in the fourth.

Sermon is another running back who could fit.

James Connor would be an immediate upgrade on our RB room and at 3-4mil/yr would be a good value assuming he is healthy.

It would be great to have Gaskins and Ahmad as your #3/4 running backs - they’re both solid depth players and should only be getting major reps in a pinch or injury situatuon.

Would love for us to start improving the depth on this team across the board.

I think we said all the same things about Howard last year. Once bitten, twice shy.

Back
Top Bottom