Jay Cutler - seems to be fins top choice | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay Cutler - seems to be fins top choice

If you look at the stats with Cutler, you're doing it wrong. Anyone who has ever watched the guy for a couple games knows the sheer dumassery exceeds what even shows up on the stat sheet (which to be fair, was usually terrible too). You can't imagine the ability to create fumbles, the penchant for interceptions that kill his team's chances of winning, the poor situational football that could make 300 yards be wholly ineffective.......it's actually pretty funny to be saying those things because there were some similarities that Tannehill had to Cutler before last year in that you had a guy who simply defined mediocre because he was just bad at winning football games. But the difference is that Tannehill improved in the ability to play situational football under Gase, which Cutler simply never did regardless of his TD/INT ratio. And the big thing is that Tannehill actually gave the impression of caring when he sucked and wanting to get better, as well as being tough.

Well I'm only going by what happened under Gase since that is what it would be. I didn't watch a lot of Bears gams so I'll have to take your word for it that Cutler sucked ass despite stats that are eerily similar to what Tannehill did under Gase. I guess all 11 of those INT's came with games on the line or at the worst possible times. I know Cutler has been a putz but thought his improvement under gase was used as an example of what we could expect from Ryan last offseason so I thought maybe it was a positive.

Well I'm only going by what happened under Gase since that is what it would be. I didn't watch a lot of Bears gams so I'll have to take your word for it that Cutler sucked *** despite stats that are eerily similar to what Tannehill did under Gase. I guess all 11 of those INT's came with games on the line or at the worst possible times. I know Cutler has been a putz but thought his improvement under gase was used as an example of what we could expect from Ryan last offseason so I thought maybe it was a positive.

I can't claim to have watched a ton of Cutler games in 2015, but I watched him extensively in years before that before the thought of watching games with him starting was just unbearable. The Bears record that year was still 6-10 (6-9 under Cutler). He threw less interceptions that year but his passing production otherwise was actually not far off from what he had done in year's previous, including W/L record. He also declined in some categories too.

RT's TD/INT ratio as well as his rating under Gase were pretty close to the rest of his career. Anyone unbiased could have clearly seen improvements beyond the stat sheets when it came to game situations, inopportune turnovers, taking sacks, and sealing a gosh darn win with that one play you need at the end of the game. You won't see those things in the stat sheet to a great degree but you will see it in team performance. Gase got this out of RT what other coaches hadn't gotten out of him. Cutler's ability to win was the same as usual.

I can really only remember watching the opener, in which the Bears were plenty competitive and driving to even up until cutler threw a pick and GB scored the game clincher on the ensuing drive. That's pretty much every Jay Cutler opener ever.

A year or so ago, the guy who knew him best and not coincidentally knows a thing or 2 about good quarterbacking named Elway obviously disagreed by extending him a respectable new starter's contract.
kool. But it wasn't a respectable contract offer, it was a 3 year "let's see if you're legit" contract with an easy out. If they felt he was good, it would have been a much better offer. Then the Texans came calling and made a decision they would not long after regret. So much so that they literally paid (via draft picks) another team to take him. And it's not like O'Brien doesn't know anything about QBs, having worked with some dude in New England and making Hackenberg look like a competent QB when he was far from it.

As an ASU alum, I can confidently say, no.****ing.thanks.

I can't claim to have watched a ton of Cutler games in 2015, but I watched him extensively in years before that before the thought of watching games with him starting was just unbearable. The Bears record that year was still 6-10 (6-9 under Cutler). He threw less interceptions that year but his passing production otherwise was actually not far off from what he had done in year's previous, including W/L record. He also declined in some categories too.

RT's TD/INT ratio as well as his rating under Gase were pretty close to the rest of his career. Anyone unbiased could have clearly seen improvements beyond the stat sheets when it came to game situations, inopportune turnovers, taking sacks, and sealing a gosh darn win with that one play you need at the end of the game. You won't see those things in the stat sheet to a great degree but you will see it in team performance. Gase got this out of RT what other coaches hadn't gotten out of him. Cutler's ability to win was the same as usual.

I hear that! I saw the improvement in Ryan as well. Seeing him deliver the dagger on multiple occasions was really great. Something that's been lacking in Miami for sometime. So I noticed the 16 Fins scored 360 or so points and the 15 Bears scored 335 but lets not forget Matt Moore is responsible for (34, 34 and 14). The 15 bears also had constant injuries at WR and a bad defense much like us. I think Tannehill is better no doubt but in this system Cutler may be the best choice.

I like Kap with his old body type much better. I hate his accuracy and running QB's period.

At the end of the day, Tanny or no Tanny Brady and Belechick still exist so either way it probably makes little difference.

I hear that! I saw the improvement in Ryan as well. Seeing him deliver the dagger on multiple occasions was really great. Something that's been lacking in Miami for sometime. So I noticed the 16 Fins scored 360 or so points and the 15 Bears scored 335 but lets not forget Matt Moore is responsible for (34, 34 and 14). The 15 bears also had constant injuries at WR and a bad defense much like us. I think Tannehill is better no doubt but in this system Cutler may be the best choice.

I like Kap with his old body type much better. I hate his accuracy and running QB's period.

At the end of the day, Tanny or no Tanny Brady and Belechick still exist so either way it probably makes little difference.

It makes a heck of a lot of difference to me. I can watch an 8-8 go out if they've got players I like and can root for. I can't root for Colin Kaepernick or Jay Cutler, and the team won't be good enough with them to outdo that anyway, so I'd rather saddle up with the guy who for one seems to me to be a better football player at this point and who also is fun to watch and fun to see get a chance to play after years of being the consumate backup and then leading the team in the final stages of a playoff run.

If Miami gives up a pick to acquire Osweiler I'm going to drink bleach.

I'd give up a 7th rder no sweat to have a guy on the roster who knows and had success in Gase's system and isn't a divisive presence. Osweiler may not be a better option on the field than Kap or Cutler (though all three are bad) but he wouldn't be a PR nightmare nor a flat out bad player who thinks he should come in and be given a starter job and starter money.

I'd give up a 7th rder no sweat to have a guy on the roster who knows and had success in Gase's system and isn't a divisive presence. Osweiler may not be a better option on the field than Kap or Cutler (though all three are bad) but he wouldn't be a PR nightmare nor a flat out bad player who thinks he should come in and be given a starter job and starter money.

Just wait til you have a knucklehead QB like Osweiller who makes foolish decisions and gives the ball away and you'll see a divisive locker room real quick.

kool. But it wasn't a respectable contract offer, it was a 3 year "let's see if you're legit" contract with an easy out. If they felt he was good, it would have been a much better offer. Then the Texans came calling and made a decision they would not long after regret. So much so that they literally paid (via draft picks) another team to take him. And it's not like O'Brien doesn't know anything about QBs, having worked with some dude in New England and making Hackenberg look like a competent QB when he was far from it.

As an ASU alum, I can confidently say, no.****ing.thanks.

Bill O'Brien doesn't know anything about QB's....I don't know how having the benefit of coaching one of the greatest QB's ever means anything.

Just wait til you have a knucklehead QB like Osweiller who makes foolish decisions and gives the ball away and you'll see a divisive locker room real quick.

Well Osweiler would be coming here to ride the pine and I'd still bet on him being better than Doughty. I'd rather have Osweiler forced to start three games as our backup QB and do a terrible job in all three than have a guy like Kap or Cutler who would start 8-10 and do a terrible job in 6-7 of those and also wreck the ability of us to do well in the other games too.

Thinking about it more, I'd roll with Matt. He played pretty well last year and will have a few weeks to get everything down chemistry wise between the WRs. Then draft a young guy with potential and let them battle it out and if Tannehill wins it then so be it. He was playing good football last year.

Moore is good enough with these weapons to do some damage. He loves lobbing it up and DVP will go get it.

Not talking playoffs but at least Moore will give Miami a chance.

It makes a heck of a lot of difference to me. I can watch an 8-8 go out if they've got players I like and can root for. I can't root for Colin Kaepernick or Jay Cutler, and the team won't be good enough with them to outdo that anyway, so I'd rather saddle up with the guy who for one seems to me to be a better football player at this point and who also is fun to watch and fun to see get a chance to play after years of being the consumate backup and then leading the team in the final stages of a playoff run.

Yeah I'd rather see Moore as well. My biggest sticking point is I'll trust in Gase's decision and believe it won't be about politics that's all. It brings a couple of aggravating things to me that I'll have to deal with all season:

1. Why not Kap - A portion of folks will cling to the idea we didn't sign Kap because of the kneeling and that's it. If our chosen QB struggles this will be a constant. I don't believe this for a second and will rally behind Kap if he's signed. I'm going with Gase on this one though he has a better track record with QB;s than any Finheaven poster.

2. Tank for the #1 pick - Regardless of who the QB is we likely won't be bad enough to get the #1 overall pick. A group of fans will root against the team and act like anyone rooting for them are idiots and "don't get it" even though fans cheering for their team have no impact on the outcome of the games and the players won't tank unless there's something in it for them. Getting the #1 pick may be something for some of them but not all of them. If we roll with Doughty we're tanking otherwise they're trying.

Thinking about it more, I'd roll with Matt. He played pretty well last year and will have a few weeks to get everything down chemistry wise between the WRs. Then draft a young guy with potential and let them battle it out and if Tannehill wins it then so be it. He was playing good football last year.

Moore is good enough with these weapons to do some damage. He loves lobbing it up and DVP will go get it.

Not talking playoffs but at least Moore will give Miami a chance.

What I wouldn't give for your boy Watson right now.

Back
Top Bottom