Jay Fiedler long ball is his best pass. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay Fiedler long ball is his best pass.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jay Fiedler long ball is his best pass.

Originally posted by minus
I just don't feel like even debating with people who just have this Jay sucks mentality that ignore facts.The fact is Jay best pass is the long ball and obviusly there things he can do to improve on it like stepping up in the pocket which he rarely does.SOmeone mention pass blocking is excellent and I aks you this question:
What offensive line have you been watching?Dolphins offensive line is overated especially pass blocking.Dolphins offensive line strength is run blocking and is not like they are great at it. eit.Jay Fiedler being able to scramble helps the line look better than what they really are.

Jay sucking was NEVER the issue and I never brought it up.
You and the rest of the army does every time someone makes an observation about Jay that isn't stating that he's a pro bowl QB. It's a joke, a complete joke.

If anything Miami has enough athletic receivers to catch Jay Fiedlers inconsistent long throws. Most of the time they aren't accurate at all and most of Jay Fiedler Interceptions have come from throwing the long one and that's a fact. It's irrelevant and this statement should not be justified for its lack of relevancy but rather by what every viewer has seen in every game he has started on as a miami dolphin.

This is ridiculous. Go look at a Brett Favre longball. Still no comparison.

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Careful Parrot you're about to be labled a basher.
I agree with you. I'm not saying Jay should be replaced by Friggin Sage though or that I think he sucks. That however is the feedback you get from some of the people on here for making any observations that aren't just rosie! It's rediculous.

WEAK!

Oliver...

Originally posted by Dolfan984

Dude, I played QB in High School, I know exactly what I'm talking about. What have you played?? I doubt know you half of QB reads and checks on every play.

What I said was a basis over what our line has done so far. That one play he had a lot of time. (was play-action) I 've watched the play more than 10 times looking for certain things. The ball WAS NOT wobbly, far from it. It was about a 55 yard throw, and unless you are the best QB in the league, that pass will not be perfect most of the time.

Anyways, did you watch the 2002 season at all? Jay never had a lot of time to throw the ball, of course there are exceptions. Lucas took 12 sacks in 5 1/2 games to the 13 Jay took in 10 1/2 games. You know why? Jay gets rid of the ball, Lucas may have been spoiled by the Jets O-Line which was pretty damn good back in 1999. 4th in the NFL? At what? Sacks allowed? I believe we were 7th, but we were obviously better with Jay. Also, our sack/drop back ratio was nowhere near the league high. Your stats are wrong and you obviously haven't played with anyone other than your friends every other month.

Lucky enough to get 3 seconds a throw? I'm happy with 3 seconds, which is what a decent O-Line should give you. All preseason Jay and Brian have had guys beating through our O-Line and coming to rip their heads off.

I'm sorry, but you just don't make any sense Fiedler hater. [/B]

Miami Dolphins
2002: 1st in rushing (142.7), 4th in YPC (4.9), 7th in sacks (25), 9th in PA per sack (19.2)

Listen waterboy if I didn't know my football I wouldn't be here. I was wrong but that was a stat that came from my head.

I suppose you are still in high school coming from those comments of a little wanker not making any sense at all going as far as comparing's brett farve's arm with Jay Fiedlers arms. First of all why do you bother to defend your self with high school football. I am actually gonna go to UCF for my second major and play football there as well while im there. Either how since you gotten as far as high school football and never even played college and also calling another guy "dude" which I am not your dude, loser. This is the nfl and you will get lucky to be back there more than 3 seconds unless you are michael vick or players like brett farve that move around the pocket. He is suppose to throw it away, he's smart enough to avoid a turnover that is. Jay fielder is nothing near a deep passer and his best game is on short passes just like Brad Johnson and Brad Johnson is a better quarterback overall. That will start another arguement but guess who has a ring and who even is ranked as one of the top 5 completion percentage qb's on the books.

Not bashing Fiedler at all for those of you who know how to read unlike this illiterate, as a matter of fact I want him to start for us but there are certain limits that make other qb's like brett farve to separate from other players. Not only does brett farve throws a lot more accurate than fiedler but he throws the ball harder and faster which is something that explosive offenses like to have. Throwing the ball deep has never been perfectly accurate for a quarterback but how close to accurate you throw it is what counts and fiedler throw the deep ball inaccurate most the time or not accurate at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK... everyone, let's keep on topic...attack the post, not the person who posted it.... and above all, put a check on the name calling.

This is a blanket warning... any more name calling, from anyone in this thread.. and you'll get some time off...

Thanks
Jon

In 3 years I can only remember Jay throwing 3 good deep balls. The long TD to Leslie Shepherd in the MNF debacle, the one to McKnight in the playoff game vs the Ratbirds that hit off his helmet, & the one to Chambers vs Minnesota last year.

Fiedler can not throw the deep ball. His best pass is the swing pass, something Griese doesn't seem able to do. As for the deep pass the other day, yes it was Chambers fault for not extending his arms to catch it, but it was also Fiedler's fault for underthrowing it 5-10 yards. Chambers had a step inside on the post on Buchanan & the safety was underneath 5 yards. All Fiedler had to do was lead him & it was a sure TD, instead Chambers had to slow up & try to make a play for the ball.

On deep throws, the OL gives him on an avg. about 3.0 - 3.5 seconds to throw. What's the 40 times of most receivers, plus getting away from any jams at the line. I think you guys get the picture. Our OL needs to give him on a deep ball aleast 4.0 seconds, perferably 5.0, but that's hard to come by.

Like someone already said, you have to count the time while the ball is in flight so add another 2 seconds to that(on a deep pass). With that amount of time Chambers or McKnights would be 60 yards downfield.

A few "quick" hits....

#1) I think Ozzy hit it right on the money. Sometimes Jay puts too much air under the ball. Makes it a much more catchable ball, but usually shortens the route. If he would just throw it a little flatter at times, we'd connect more often. He has sufficient arm strength. Just has to work on that timing/accuracy. And flattening some of those throws would help.

#2) Jay's at his best when he's dropping back and quickly getting rid of the ball. That, and when he's outside of the pocket. He's one of the best at throwing on the run. These are reasons why Jay would make a very good West Coast QB.

#3) Ozzy hits it again. Ever since Jay got into Norv's offense, he stopped stepping up in the pocket. I think this has to do with Norv making him go thru more progressions and not just look at his first two guys (a la Gailey's offense). More of his attention is devoted to what's going on downfield now. And, for Jay, that means his pocket awareness has lessened.

#4) I have to take a few issues with JuniorSeau55 here. I normally wouldn't have done so by name. By that last post was just not good.

- Our pass protection is not anywhere near 4th or 7th in the NFL. Stats may say one thing. But on-the-field-performance proves otherwise. They are not very good. And they were even worse in 2001. It's amazing that he played all 17 games in 2001 with the beating he took.

- If you're "lucky" to get 3 seconds from your OL, well then your OL isn't very good. And your team will struggle in the passing game. Especially deep.

- Just FYI - when you feel the need to personally attack someone AND throw around your supposed credentials, it comes at the expense of your own credibility. Posters around here are pretty smart. And they see right thru that kind of thing.

Also, Dolfan984 was a pretty good HS football player. Played in the same division as the great De La Salle school. He is also currently playing in college.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jay Fiedler long ball is his best pa

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Jay sucking was NEVER the issue and I never brought it up.
You and the rest of the army does every time someone makes an observation about Jay that isn't stating that he's a pro bowl QB. It's a joke, a complete joke.

No you are a complete joke.Some of you guys fail to see Jay is a good QB in this league and he has grown alot since his first year as a starter.Just take a look at his last year and half TD/INT ratio.How predicting Jay can make the probowl a joke?Just because I predicted Jay will make the probowl doesn't mean I consider him to be top 5 QB.I just support the Dolphins starting QB and I'm nhoping for big things just like every other position on the field.Some of you are just waiting for him to do something wrong so that you start rambling on how Jay sucks.Only reason I made this thread to inform others that Jay is capable of throwing a nice deep ball.If you don't want to take my word just take a look at the games he started for Jaguars and College games.

Second people keep saying his deep throw is not his best pass but if you look back earlier his career and college you will be surprise.Like I said for whatever reason it just hasn't been connecting and it has to do with other variables as well as Jay himself.

Another thing just because I predicted

2 things 1) yes qbs step up in the pocket and make throws, but it is alot easier when the pass is a 5, 10, or 15 yard pass, but it does disrupt the timing of a deep pass if the qb is ready to throw and has to take the extra secod to step up and throw. The timing on deep balls is critical and the deep ball is teh l;east accurate pass by any qb, including favre, i saw many times where favre thru deep and driver had to stop to catch the ball. Any body disagrees go watch some prior games. Yes there are others where the receiver is hit in stride, but jay does that as well, look at the pats game, he hit McKnight in stride on the 32 yd td pass, he hit Chambers in stride in the MInn and Oak game. secondly, that ball against atlanta was 54 yds in the air, Jay does not have much more, yes he has little more distance but not alot. Danny in his prime was only good for 60-605 yds in the air, so at 54 yards in the air, you hope the qb puts it in there and lets the receiver go get it.

Yes Jay needs to thow a better deep ball this year, but he has in the past and is healthy, the deep ball will get better if it used more.

Originally posted by Muck
A few "quick" hits....

#1) I think Ozzy hit it right on the money. Sometimes Jay puts too much air under the ball. Makes it a much more catchable ball, but usually shortens the route. If he would just throw it a little flatter at times, we'd connect more often. He has sufficient arm strength. Just has to work on that timing/accuracy. And flattening some of those throws would help.

#2) Jay's at his best when he's dropping back and quickly getting rid of the ball. That, and when he's outside of the pocket. He's one of the best at throwing on the run. These are reasons why Jay would make a very good West Coast QB.

#3) Ozzy hits it again. Ever since Jay got into Norv's offense, he stopped stepping up in the pocket. I think this has to do with Norv making him go thru more progressions and not just look at his first two guys (a la Gailey's offense). More of his attention is devoted to what's going on downfield now. And, for Jay, that means his pocket awareness has lessened.

#4) I have to take a few issues with JuniorSeau55 here. I normally wouldn't have done so by name. By that last post was just not good.

- Our pass protection is not anywhere near 4th or 7th in the NFL. Stats may say one thing. But on-the-field-performance proves otherwise. They are not very good. And they were even worse in 2001. It's amazing that he played all 17 games in 2001 with the beating he took.

- If you're "lucky" to get 3 seconds from your OL, well then your OL isn't very good. And your team will struggle in the passing game. Especially deep.

- Just FYI - when you feel the need to personally attack someone AND throw around your supposed credentials, it comes at the expense of your own credibility. Posters around here are pretty smart. And they see right thru that kind of thing.

Also, Dolfan984 was a pretty good HS football player. Played in the same division as the great De La Salle school. He is also currently playing in college.

Jay's long ball is different now compared to when he was in JAX, because the Dolphins want more air under it. It's something the Dolphins have been doing since JJ arrived. Of course JJ's offensive philosophy is based on Turner's offense.

They believe you put a lil more air under it so your aggressive BIG WR's can make the catch over the smaller DB's. The problem is Chambers is playing, right now like he 3' 1". Very much unlike after OJ called him out on it back in 2001.

Oliver...

Look muck no offense but if you want to take issues take them to your mother. I can care less what you have to say about me and I can care less what that other guy is doing now and I can care less what I have to do to get the point straight. I don't care if you agree with me or if you don't agree with me or if you even have to "take some issues of mine" into your own hands. If he wouldn't have been rude, annoying or call me his dude then their wouldn't be a problem.

Your view of Jay Fielder as a West Coast quarterback is not viewed by coaches that implement a west coast coast offense within their team. Yes Fiedler can read the field very well and he can execute but he isn't a deep passer obviously. Most of his interceptions have come from passing deep and since he has been playing in a controlled offense he has been able to be succesful. When Jay Fielder was in Jacksonville he had more targets to throw to in a consistent basis more than he has had in Miami.

Most quarterbacks won't last in the average time more than 3 seconds in the pocket, keeping in mind that those three seconds are when they set their foot to throw. Very rarely do you see a quarterback out there standing for years just ot wait until his star receiver gets down the field and its not because the offensive lines collapses easily its because the lineman can only hold them off for so much time. The passing game isn't struggling, it can take a receiver 2 seconds to reach 20-30 yards and catch and run.

First off, I called you "dude" because frankly, I would have done it to anyone else, even a Bills fan. I really think you may have some psychological problems. Are you a Dolphins fan? The worst thing I said was Fiedler hater, which you are. You think our O-Line is all world, but the fact is, that even back to the Marino days, our O-Line wasn't that great. Good at run blocking, so-so at pass blocking, except reverse with Marino. It kind of makes sense because we are a running team.

UCF? What college is that? Obviously a California school, but is it 1A?
Do you start? What year are you in?

I played QB in High School, WR in college, but coach told me to gain some weight or I would never crack the starting lineup (6'4" 175lbs) and believe me, I am going to be at least 190 by Christmas, and I will be playing college ball for a University by next year.

What position do you play? How old are you, and why are you acting like you're in Junior High? I brought debate and facts, and you got pissed off because someone (more like a lot of people) don't agree with you.

You say that Jay could throw deep better in Jax because he had better targets. THAT'S WHY! How does Jay Fiedler before any starting experience become a better long ball thrower than he does when he starts with the Dolphins? It's called good quality receivers in Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell. Our receivers are good and have potential, but compared to those two, especially Kennan in his prime.

"If he wouldn't have been rude, annoying or call me his dude then their wouldn't be a problem."

I think you're the one with the problem, it's not like I'm just throwing out blind stats that I say are facts. I gave you a debate, and called you "dude" from what you think I was banishing you to hell, and you freaked out. You got that stat from your head, and tried to say it was fact, you were told wrong, so you got pissy. juniorseau55, you do not add anything to this board.

Also, I don't go flaunting what my football experience is. I had a one page picture of me in my yearbook dropping back to pass and had it as my avatar. I think I did fine, but do I bring it up when I think someone is wrong? No, actually this is the first time I've even said that.

Did you play QB? I doubt it, I started and was the #3 rated passer in my division, had a winning record, and went to the playoffs. I have my credentials, and I know what I'm talking about. Thank you.

Originally posted by juniorseau55
Look muck no offense but if you want to take issues take them to your mother. I can care less what you have to say about me and I can care less what that other guy is doing now and I can care less what I have to do to get the point straight. I don't care if you agree with me or if you don't agree with me or if you even have to "take some issues of mine" into your own hands. If he wouldn't have been rude, annoying or call me his dude then their wouldn't be a problem.

Your view of Jay Fielder as a West Coast quarterback is not viewed by coaches that implement a west coast coast offense within their team. Yes Fiedler can read the field very well and he can execute but he isn't a deep passer obviously. Most of his interceptions have come from passing deep and since he has been playing in a controlled offense he has been able to be succesful. When Jay Fielder was in Jacksonville he had more targets to throw to in a consistent basis more than he has had in Miami.

Again, you are incorrect. I will throw the name Mike Shannahan at you. He runs a West Coast system. And he was a big Fiedler fan, as he persued him in 2000.

As for the personal, bravado side of your post.....check your PM box.

Back
Top Bottom