Jay Fiedler Or Ryan Tannelhill? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay Fiedler Or Ryan Tannelhill?

you didn't do the same as you won the division in 2000 and you didn't do that in 1999. you ended in the same spot where you lost by 27 instead of 55 like the year earlier.

Jay made plays, he wasn't pretty but the man made plays. You weren't winning a SB w/ him(or that D) but he helped you get to postseason his first 2 years and would likely have year 3 if he didn't get hurt. the playoffs are better than what you have had recently.
jay made some plays w his legs. I said he was gritty and he played above his talent level at times. That said, I've been watching this team since Griese was the QB so I'd like to think I can tell good QB play from meh or bad. Jay = meh. Having said that, yes, I would take the playoffs w a meh QB right now over 7-9, 8-8 and whatever we are going to finish this year - probably 6-10.

jay made some plays w his legs. I said he was gritty and he played above his talent level at times. That said, I've been watching this team since Griese was the QB so I'd like to think I can tell good QB play from meh or bad. Jay = meh. Having said that, yes, I would take the playoffs w a meh QB right now over 7-9, 8-8 and whatever we are going to finish this year - probably 6-10.

Problem is Jay wouldnt take this team to any playoffs. Our line is crap and he doesnt have the arm to utilize our receivers. We are worse with Fielder.

Man some people have jaded memories of Jay Fielder. He was not the reason we made it to the playoffs. it was the running game, a defense full of all pros, and a weak division (Brady for what 1 year?) He'd be the equivalent to Matt Moore in today's nfl. Oh wait, now I get why some people are choosing Fiedler.

Fielder gave his all, it wasnt his fault we had idiots that tried to make him their starting qb. Hell we sent Marino out to pasture for this guy lol
Reminds me of when we basically kicked Zach Thomas out of Miami to use his money to sign friggin Reggie Torbor. Fielder was a good backup type and would have been very good in that role.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Man some people have jaded memories of Jay Fielder. He was not the reason we made it to the playoffs. it was the running game, a defense full of all pros, and a weak division (Brady for what 1 year?) He'd be the equivalent to Matt Moore in today's nfl. Oh wait, now I get why some people are choosing Fiedler.

Overall Fielder was better than Matt Moore, he could actually hold an nfl job for a full season.

Jay Fiedler's best season... 14 TDs 9 INTs 85 rating... Second best season... 20TDs 19 INTs 80 rating... Career...69 TDs 66 INTs for a whopping 77 rating...
If Tannehill was on those teams, Ricky probably never retires because they dont have to run him at a record breaking rate...

Given Tannehill is probably better than Fiedler, but you have to compare to today's standards. back then 20 TD passes was just under the max and 30 TD passes were only thrown by the elite. The year he threw 20 TDs that was a good amount of TDs.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Fielder gave his all, it wasnt his fault we had idiots that tried to make him their starting qb. Hell we sent Marino out to pasture for this guy lol
Reminds me of when we basically kicked Zach Thomas out of Miami to use his money to sign friggin Reggie Torbor. Fielder was a good backup type and would have been very good in that role.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Overall Fielder was better than Matt Moore, he could actually hold an nfl job for a full season.

Oh, that's indisputable

The offense seemed to function better under Fiedler. The offense doesn't seem to run will with Chad Henne 2.0

Given Tannehill is probably better than Fiedler, but you have to compare to today's standards. back then 20 TD passes was just under the max and 30 TD passes were only thrown by the elite. The year he threw 20 TDs that was a good amount of TDs.

Lets compare the offense... That year the Fins had 473 rushing attempts to 453 passing attempts... Do you honestly beleive Tannehill would somehow downgrade to a 1/1 TD/INT ratio under those circumstances?

QBWINZ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROcseJIFJYE

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally disagree. He was a guy that tried to play like he had a rocket for an arm, but had an arm like Chad Pennington's and did not know how to use it. The perfect example, and I will never forget this, was a play where he threw a deep ball to Chambers when Gadsen was running wide open on a crossing route. The ball he threw looked like a wounded duck flying through the air and it got picked. I also do not think he was a guy that inspired much confidence in his teammates.

Say what you want, he wanted to be a Dolphin. And he made the most out of the one ounce of skill he possessed. As many Dolphin detractors and haters as he has had during and since his tenure, not one single QB has done as much for this team. He did what he had to do to win games. I can't say that for anyone else but Chad Pennington since Marino.

Fiedler should be thanked and at least remembered respectfully. But yet the entitled Super Bowl Champion fans on this board seem to forget this organization has been a slow turd in a big toilet bowl that simply won't flush.

Many others may demand excellence and only accept excellence but we've done nothing for 40 years except Marino, Fiedler and Pennington. Our history is far greater than our future. And I'll be glad when ownership starts getting serious about rebuilding this ruined franchise. I cannot imagine the shame and humiliation the living legends must feel when they look at this organization today. It's offensive.

And those are the facts.

So, I will celebrate Fiedler and Pennington along with Marino. Because in my lifetime, in my 40's, it's all I've got.

Say what you want, he wanted to be a Dolphin. And he made the most out of the one ounce of skill he possessed. As many Dolphin detractors and haters as he has had during and since his tenure, not one single QB has done as much for this team. He did what he had to do to win games. I can't say that for anyone else but Chad Pennington since Marino.

Fiedler should be thanked and at least remembered respectfully. But yet the entitled Super Bowl Champion fans on this board seem to forget this organization has been a slow turd in a big toilet bowl that simply won't flush.

Many others may demand excellence and only accept excellence but we've done nothing for 40 years except Marino, Fiedler and Pennington. Our history is far greater than our future. And I'll be glad when ownership starts getting serious about rebuilding this ruined franchise. I cannot imagine the shame and humiliation the living legends must feel when they look at this organization today. It's offensive.

And those are the facts.

So, I will celebrate Fiedler and Pennington along with Marino. Because in my lifetime, in my 40's, it's all I've got.
Funny how two of the 3 QBs you mention had Ricky Williams on their team and their offense were run first, with a top 10 defense... And the other one, is a top 5 all time QB and people to this day still say: '' Too bad he never had a running game and a good D''...

The thing about Jay was that he connected often deep with Chambers. Before both of them got hurt that season, that team was going 13-3 or better. That was the Super Bowl season. Both were playing very well and then the Kenoy Kennedy disaster and hitting a hand on a helmet ruined it.

Tannehill has had Mike Wallace, Kenny Stills, Jarvis Landry, Lamar Miller, Jordan Cameron, Charles Clay, Hartline, and Rishard Matthews to throw to. Averages 7-8 wins a season. Now it's a passing league so Fiedler is more of an Alex Smith, but I'm not sure I would be eager to take Tannehill over Jay.

in 2000 lamar Smith averaged 3.7 YPC
In 2001 Smith averaged 3.1 YPC

it was pre Brady but the division was still good w/ a young Peyton Manning in Indy. In 2001 3 AFC East teams made the playoffs

Your D full of all pros folded in every big game.

Fiedler was not great but he is underrated by phin fans, he played a large role in those playoff teams. Never pretty but made plays to help you win and get to the playoffs.

Funny how two of the 3 QBs you mention had Ricky Williams on their team and their offense were run first, with a top 10 defense... And the other one, is a top 5 all time QB and people to this day still say: '' Too bad he never had a running game and a good D''...

the one great year Ricky had in 2002 Miami missed the playoffs mainly b/c jay missed a bunch of games.

Chad took you from 1 win in 2007 to 11 and a div title in 2008.

Fiedler is more like Mark Sanchez. Tannehill is way better. Shouldn't be a debate, just a poor attempt to be little Tannehill

Fiedler is more like Mark Sanchez. Tannehill is way better. Shouldn't be a debate, just a poor attempt to be little Tannehill

if by that you mean a team can get into the playoffs and win playoff games with them I guess you have a point.

Back
Top Bottom