Jerry Schuplunski is going to NY | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jerry Schuplunski is going to NY

The Dolphins finished the season 5-4.... while carrying (by far) the most dead money this year in the league, with the youngest roster in the NFL, with 17 guys ending the season on IR, while setting the NFL record for most numbers of players used by a team. All the while, positioning the Dolphins with 5 first round picks in the next 2 seasons, and 4 second round picks, and over $100million to spend in the upcoming FA.

Say what you want about the 2019 Dolphins, the Grier Flores combination has been interesting to watch thus far. Looking forward to the Draft and FA, and Year 2 to see where this goes.
and if not for that bull$hit delayed PI call from NY, on a day when several egregious scoring controversies where not reviewed, the team would have finished 6-3

How is it a blind argument?

You are the one comparing the talent of the two rosters.

It's a given Sparano had more talent on his roster, but that's why you adjust the results. Was the talent on his roster really worth 11 wins? The expectations for that squad was somewhere between 4 and 6 wins. That's a +5 to +7 differential.

Here are some samplings on expectations at the time:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/preview08/team?team=mia (prediction: last place in AFCE)
https://www.si.com/more-sports/2008/08/29/predictions (Don Banks 2008 prediction: 5-11)
https://walterfootball.com/offseason2008playoffs.php (prediction: 2-14)
bleacherreport.com/articles/53121-nfl-2008-preview-and-playoff-predictions (prediction: last place in AFCE)

The expectations for Flores' talent purged roster was anywhere from 0 to 3 wins. That's a +2 to +5 differential.

You have to account for competent QB play being mostly responsible for a win or two, as was the case for Sparano and Flores. Eventually, the team will regress to the mean.

I really can't understand how people can look at the two and make the claim that Flores did a better job. One thing that no one is factoring in is the pressure that builds when a team is pursuing a playoff berth. Sparano's teams kept winning under that pressure. Flores' teams never even had to deal with that kind of pressure because they were out of the race almost from the beginning, especially by the time they actually started winning games.

EDIT:

Funny thing is just looking back at some projections from the beginning of the season, some places like ESPN even projected them with around 5 wins:

Maybe I should’ve read between the lines and done some research to try and figure out what you were trying to say in your original post.

I have given Flores the benefit that he has grown and developed throughout since then, but that will always stick out as a dick move. Not sure whether it;ls due to inexperience or being an arsehole.
I think he was trying to tell Stills in an indirect, yet friendly, way that he don't know dick about struggle. Honestly, I don't think we know enough of what happened, or whether each reacted appropriately or not.

Be careful with making assumptions, a lot of people around here don't take too kindly to them. Apparently we are not supposed debate topics on a message board until all the "facts" have been released, documented and printed.

Some, just some facts would do ;)

I think he was trying to tell Stills in an indirect, yet friendly, way that he don't know dick about struggle. Honestly, I don't think we know enough of what happened, or whether each reacted appropriately or not.
I think he was trying to point out the value of focusing on the task at hand, and that "distractions" are not acceptable.

Possibly as a lesson to others, moreso than KS, as he was already dead man walking at that point.

When you get a chance can you show me where I said it was Herculean, or that he’s some sort of super coach. Because I haven’t made a comment either way about his coaching. I just made a comment on a blind argument.

LOL, desperately need a yearly FH Hyperbole King award for him :wink He'd be a perennial winner!

LOL, desperately need a yearly FH Hyperbole King award for him :wink He'd be a perennial winner!

So when do the blind homer awards get handed out? They’d probably run out of awards to give.

This kind of glorification of any coach who at all exceeds expectations after year one happens every time here on FH. And I’d bet it’s probably the same guys over and over.

Any criticism is attacked and deemed ridiculous. What’s ridiculous is not learning from history.

It’s hard to make the case that Flores exceeded expectations more with his roster than Sparano did with his, but you all keep trying.

Bottom line, the differential between Sparano’s expected record is larger than Flores. And you all fluffed Sparano just the same then as you all fluff Flores now.

And if Flores ultimately fails you all will pretend you thought Flores always sucked, just like you do with Sparano and Gase now. And the cycle will repeat with the next coach.

I read that totally differently:

Flores's first and most important allegiance is to the owner who hired and pays him. Ross was obviously fine with Stills' in good conscience protests but had to be annoyed that the guy he made a multi millionaire was calling him out and taking him to task publicly for having the audacity to have a different political philosophy than him!

What if Flores had privately asked the team to keep criticisms of the owner private and Stills told him "F You?" Between the most important tie that binds and Stills putting him in the crossfire, I'd be plenty pissed also if I were Flores!
Still a very childish way to attack the issue

So when do the blind homer awards get handed out? They’d probably run out of awards to give.

This kind of glorification of any coach who at all exceeds expectations after year one happens every time here on FH. And I’d bet it’s probably the same guys over and over.

Any criticism is attacked and deemed ridiculous. What’s ridiculous is not learning from history.

It’s hard to make the case that Flores exceeded expectations more with his roster than Sparano did with his, but you all keep trying.

Bottom line, the differential between Sparano’s expected record is larger than Flores. And you all fluffed Sparano just the same then as you all fluff Flores now.

And if Flores ultimately fails you all will pretend you thought Flores always sucked, just like you do with Sparano and Gase now. And the cycle will repeat with the next coach.
Yeah you got us here. I was one of those people who adored both after our quick in and outs of the playoffs. Even Philbin until the end of 2015. Just helps to think they could of been a great coach.

Flores right now has me excited but I'm more guarded and want to see an upward trend year to year. Most coaches sit around 10 plus did so that is my benchmark for him to reach by year 3.

Overall I'm not sure what his philosophy is on offense which is concerning. I would hope he continues his aggressive approach with a modern attack. He needs to figure out the line and running game right now.

Uses blatant hyperbole to complain about being labeled King of Hyperbole. Do you even know what the word means? Or, can you simply not resist? :bobdole:

Still a very childish way to attack the issue
Or, perhaps simply a very confident one? One in which he knew he had the high ground? Both as HC and with his cultural background? I could be wrong, but seemed Flores was trying to help Stills see what was most important at the time? Both for the team and for Stills, if he wanted to continue as a Dolphin? Laying it out clearly for the player is a HC's job, isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom