Josh Rosen Trade Rumors: Dolphins in 'No Hurry' to Deal QB Despite Getting Calls | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Josh Rosen Trade Rumors: Dolphins in 'No Hurry' to Deal QB Despite Getting Calls

Because you keep acting like a child i’m going to inform you again that I’m not a Rosen fan. The question I asked you has nothing to do with Rosen. So keep your homophobic name-calling to yourself. Answer the question.

There is no question to answer. Tua is the QB of the Miami Dolphins going forward! That's all!

We saw Rosen behind a trash o- line that was so bad it got fitz benched. Since then we haven't seen or heard anything about him or how he's looked in practice. Only time will tell, everything else is just an assumption.

No need for Miami to do anything but keep Rosen this season as extra low cost insurance (in the year of a pandemic). Rosen is still only 23 (2 months younger than Joe Burrow) and he's had the misfortune of playing behind lousy O-lines in Arizona and for a few games in Miami. He was still considered good enough to be a top 10 player drafted because of his strong arm and that was only 2 years ago. He's just been in the wrong place at the wrong time and he has good upside long term. Teams like Pittsburgh, Atlanta, New England even Tampa Bay should seriously consider him a low cost, big upside development prospect and I see zero reason to let him go for something like a tomato and cheese sandwich. (He's Jewish - no ham sandwich trade here, that just wouldn't be kosher).
In fact I would be very tempted to give Josh decent playing time in the preseason games. It's his chance to showcase his ability and build some self confidence. Yes, Tua is our future but no need to hand someone like Belichick a low cost, big upside prospect.

Last edited:
The Patriots often draft a QB. They did draft Jimmy G in the second, but generally they get one in the third round (and basically we gave a third for Rosen). They had Brady so all were drafted to be backups. Generally they flip them later on.

I think it is reasonable to expect Flores felt Rosen was an opportunity. I think he would be happy to have him as a cheap backup for a few years and then flip him later on if an offer he can't refuse is made.

As I mentioned in another thread this is Fitz's last year under contract and Ruddock's last year of practice squad eligibility. You have to have somebody. Hard as it is for some here to buy we could do a lot worse than Rosen as a backup. You can't generally draft a QB with his prototypical size and potential at the end of the second round.

I certainly wouldn't be cutting my losses at this point in time. And I don't think he was traded for to become our starting QB. So for those of you that think the trade was a failure because he didn't become our starting QB, well you are entitled to your beliefs.

No I never said any pick that isn't a starter is a wasted pick. But when you waste a 2nd round pick on a backup QB who will never see the field then it is a wasted pick. The difference between a backup QB and a backup at other positions is a backup at other positions does get to play from time to time or makes an impact on special teams. A backup QB only gets to play if the starter gets hurt or the starter plays so back that the coach makes a change. Big difference there.
Eagles fans might disagree on the importance of your backup. They have a statue of their backup. Still waiting on one for the starter.

When you have a QB with Tua's injury history, I think a capable backup is more than a luxury. One or two games of solid QB play can be just as valuable as a season's worth of solid backup play at another position. That is how important the position is.

And this is football. Every player is at risk of getting hurt every time they step on the field.

Tua can be everything we hope him to be, but if he gets hurt, a few games of sub par play from our backup can be enough to derail the season at any point.

I hope Tua's backup never sees the light of day for the next 15+ years. But I also believe there is no way that happens.

Last edited:
Eagles fans might disagree on the importance of your backup. They have a statue of their backup. Still waiting on one for the starter.

When you have a QB with Tua's injury history, I think a capable backup is more than a luxury. One or two games of solid QB play can be just as valuable as a season's worth of solid backup play at another position. That is how important the position is.

And this is football. Every player is at risk of getting hurt every time they step on the field.

Tua can be everything we hope him to be, but if he gets hurt, a few games of sub par play from our backup can be enough to derail the season at any point.

I hope Tua's backup never sees the light of day for the next 15+ years. But I also believe there is no way that happens.

But that doesn't mean your backup QB has to be a 2nd round pick. There have been capable backup QB's that have been drafted later. That was my point.

But that doesn't mean your backup QB has to be a 2nd round pick. There have been capable backup QB's that have been drafted later. That was my point.
Today, it does not matter what round Rosen was taken 2 years ago. Nor, does it matter what we gave up for him last year. Today, what matters is whether or not Rosen fits our coach's mold for a backup QB this year. And, for the future. Since they have not released or traded Rosen yet, the possibility remains that he might come close to fitting the mold. Since Rosen is currently extremely cheap for a backup QB, I don't see how we aren't winning by keeping him. So long as he suits what Flo wants.

Last edited:
Why is this so hard to figure out. they didn’t trade for Rosen to be a back up, the hope was that he would become the starter.

Why is this so hard to figure out. they didn’t trade for Rosen to be a back up, the hope was that he would become the starter.

Correct and I already said that but it failed. The trade ended up being a bust because they basically traded a 2nd round pick for a backup QB in the end regardless of what their intentions were for Rosen when they made the trade.

Today, it does not matter what round Rosen was taken 2 years ago. Nor, does it matter what we gave up for him last year. Today, what matters is whether or not Rosen fits our coach's mold for a backup QB this year. And, for the future. Since they have not released or traded Rosen yet, the possibility remains that he might come close to fitting the mold. Since Rosen is currently extremely cheap for a backup QB, I don't seen how we aren't winning by keeping him. So long as he suits what Flo wants.

I would be surprised if Rosen is still on the roster by the start of the 2021 season. I think it will be Tua with a new backup QB by then. I think both Fitzpatrick and Rosen will be gone at that point.

Same arguments that you all used to use in support of Beck. laff laff laff

Those are exceptions, not the rule. For every success like Brees, Griese or Bradshaw, there are a thousand Gio Carmazzi’s, John Beck’s, Tim Couch’s, AJ Feeley’s, etc. It’s asinine to paint these success stories you mentioned as likely to happen... more likely the opposite, IMVHO.

Ideally, I’d like Rosen to show enough to sucker a team into a 2nd rounder, like the Falcons did with Schaub or Philly did to us. Whether or not it happens though? I’m not holding my breath.

Go ahead and hold your breath.

It may help you clear your mind.

Agreed. doesn't HAVE to be, but there are R1 QBs who are backups. And I suspect more later QBs are out of the NFL than are backups. Rosen is here. Rosen isn't expensive. And, to date, no evidence Flo/Gailey have given up on him.

Agreed. doesn't HAVE to be, but there are R1 QBs who are backups. And I suspect more later QBs are out of the NFL than are backups. Rosen is here. Rosen isn't expensive. And, to date, no evidence Flo/Gailey have given up on him.

Usually R1 QB's end up starting, get traded to another team, or are out of the league in a few years. It's very rare when a first round QB is a career backup. I can't remember the last QB that ended up a career backup after being drafted in round 1. And even though Rosen is here at the moment, he will never be more than a backup QB as long as Tua stays healthy. The ship has sailed as far as him being a starter here. That ended the minute Tua was drafted at #5 overall.

Keep Rosen, until a rookie starts to play we do not know if he is Blaine Gabbert or Dan Marino.

Back
Top Bottom