Kiper: No more excuses for Tannehill | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper: No more excuses for Tannehill

The chuckles you hear are people laughing at your ridiculous posts. I ask this guy several times and finally he answer with these "elite qb's would come and perform so much better......but we'd have to tweek the playbook and take advantages of their strengths and minimize weaknesses"
You asked a question that answers that should have been obvious even to one as dense as yourself.

Again let me ask you the same question since there is some kind of communication problem obviously. WHAT QB WOULD COME IN UNDER THESE EXACT SAME CONDITIONS AND PERFORM BETTER? I'm not asking you which qb could come in and if we maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses bc well hell what a novel idea imagine were the Dolphins would be today had we been doing this since day one with Tannehill.
Now that's a ridiculous set of parameters. Why would a team bring in another quarterback and ask them to mimic the limitations of their previous quarterback rather than play into what that person does best? Then you're assuming that the Dolphins weren't attempting to minimize Tannehill's liabilities and play to his strengths. There's a reason we don't go deep very often, or did you think that was just a coincidence? Now it's certainly possible our coaches have gotten everything wrong about Tannehill's abilities and how to get the most out of him, but it's also possible that Tannehill has some real limitations and inconsistencies that make getting his best on a regular basis an unlikely outcome. Likely it's a good amount of both, but that doesn't make your question any less ridiculous. Why not ask which wizard can improve Tannehill's game the most, Merlin or Gandalf? Silly question, sillier person.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

Tannehill bears some responsibility. I don't think many are suggesting he doesn't.

Actually, many here are certainly implying that's the case.

I agree, but that has nothing to do with what you and I were discussing.

So you agree that talent (in this case of Miami's OL) is 1000x more important but you still want to focus on whether they find Tannehill inspirational? WTF? Fixated much?

So you agree that talent (in this case of Miami's OL) is 1000x more important but you still want to focus on whether they find Tannehill inspirational? WTF? Fixated much?

I wasn't "focused" or "fixated" on anything. I simply disagreed with you when you said there are no players who elevate the play of those around them. I think you're dead wrong on that.

I wasn't "focused" or "fixated" on anything. I simply disagreed with you when you said there are no players who elevate the play of those around them. I think you're dead wrong on that.

But you agree that the elevated play only accounts for .1% of what happens on the field. So, in your opinion, their play is elevated, just not perceptibly so. And that is practically different than not elevating their play, how?

He got average starting QB money, not elite money. Counting all years of his contract, not just the extension, he comes in around the 16th/17th highest paid (average yearly salary) QB in the NFL. And this is without Luck doing his first real contract. The QB market is what it is...

Thank you!!!!!

Most here don't understand the economics of NFL QB's. I was listening to some of the talking heads on Sirius talking about this exact issue....and your right.....RT's contract is right about where it should be for a NFL QB. I think the focus will become more about "what a great deal we got" when Luck's contract is finally done.

RT is a good to very good QB. He still has upside (yes, even after 4 years in) and with good leadership and good play around him, should continue to grow.

I also think that RT looks a bit rattled right now. The constant pressure, the lack of offensive and defensive success and the drama about everything that is the Dolphins (Miko...cough....cough) appear to be taking their toll. Throw in a HC who had lost control and players revolting against the coordinators and I can understand a lack of focus by all involved. That is not an excuse, because they are professionals and it shouldn't impact them...but it certainly appears to.

To say RT is mediocre is not reality. RT is a good solid QB that still needs to take that step to the next level....and I think he can, but he can't do it alone. ALL of our players need to step it up and move it to the next level. As everyone elevates their play, so will RT.

This is also why I like Dan Campbell's current approach to physicality. This team became soft and they need to toughen up...but more importantly, they need to compete. Having some competition for playing time will elevate everyone's performance.

For those of you who play golf, you will know what I mean. If you play with someone who shoots 110, you have a tendency to not play up to your own level of play. However, if you play with someone who shoots 75, you have a tendency to play better. Better competition brings out better performance. This includes every position on our team.

The guys just talking out both sides of his mouth. He obviously fully believes that THill has been set up in the perfect situation to succeed his first four seasons, and that right there should tell everyone his football I.Q.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[video=youtube;A5q2FG5406U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=A5q2FG5406U[/video]

While this very well may be true, You may want to find a better source than Kiper to refer to as an authority on the subject. He has been wrong quite a few times and by no means am I thinking at this point "Well, Mel Kiper says Tannehill is done, so it must be true!" If the point was to add another perspective to the debate, then congratulations on a great post. If the point was to use Kiper's word as a means of closing the door on this debate: then this post fails to do that IMO.

But you agree that the elevated play only accounts for .1% of what happens on the field. So, in your opinion, their play is elevated, just not perceptibly so. And that is practically different than not elevating their play, how?

No, I agree with the sentiment but there's no way to measure it. Your "1000x" is arbitrary and, imo, exaggerated. I didn't mention that in my previous post because I thought you were simply using an arbitrary number for effect. I didn't think you actually meant to imply that inspiration was quantifiable. For example, it doesn't seem to me that Wes Welker only improved by .1% when he was teamed up with Brady. I know you'll disagree with that, but it's an unwinnable argument because there's no way either of us can prove our opinions are fact; thus, it would be ridiculous to even try. Plus, I've little doubt that the amount one can be inspired varies from person to person, as can the degree to which any given player can inspire others.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guys just talking out both sides of his mouth. He obviously fully believes that THill has been set up in the perfect situation to succeed his first four seasons, and that right there should tell everyone his football I.Q.

Perhaps we should be questioning your IQ in general, not just about football, as you seem incapable of understanding simple sentences.
Now it's certainly possible our coaches have gotten everything wrong about Tannehill's abilities and how to get the most out of him, but it's also possible that Tannehill has some real limitations and inconsistencies that make getting his best on a regular basis an unlikely outcome.
Notice I've already said that it's possible the coaches have gotten everything wrong about RT's abilities. No where have I ever said that RT "has been set up in the perfect situation to succeed." When you feel the need to invent facts and quotes to win your argument, you've already lost.

You may want to find a better source than Kiper to refer to as an authority on the subject. He has been wrong quite a few times...

Is there someone who has been right ALL the time? Because it seems to me you can say this about anyone who engages in football talent evaluation.

Ok I will try this one last time....by using my eyes, when you watch RW he see's the rush, he knows how to avoid the rush, he is a leader, the team respects him, when the team needs points on a crucial drive he delivers, he rarely turns the ball over, he doesn't get flustered, he has a winning record as a QB and most importantly he MAKES PLAYS......that is why he is a better QB than RT

Ok....Wilson has been sacked 18 times to RT's 10. Total fallacy. Next.....

Ok I will try this one last time....by using my eyes, when you watch RW he see's the rush, he knows how to avoid the rush, he is a leader, the team respects him, when the team needs points on a crucial drive he delivers, he rarely turns the ball over, he doesn't get flustered, he has a winning record as a QB and most importantly he MAKES PLAYS......that is why he is a better QB than RT

You must be joking. Their last game proved that completely false, not to mention how quickly he resorts to taking off....bc he gets happy feet from fear.

Is there someone who has been right ALL the time? Because it seems to me you can say this about anyone who engages in football talent evaluation.

That's a valid point, but that leads back to my line of questioning: Was the desired effect of this post to add someone else's perspective, or was it meant to sway the Tannehill supporters? If it was the second option, then this post fails because I don't know of many people who will change their opinion because Mel Kiper thinks that Ryan Tannehill is a disappointment.

Actually, many here are certainly implying that's the case.
I disagree with this. Many of You seem to think that we are trying to absolve Tannehill from any responsibility by bringing up O-Line and Defensive struggles, but that is not the case usually. Most of us freely admit that Tannehill has not played well this season. At the same time, we do try to defend him against the usual suspects who only seem to show up looking for his head on a platter after a terrible performance by adding a little perspective. You have many posters on this site that believe that this is a good football team that is being held back by bad qb play. What we are saying is Yes, Ryan Tannehill has failed to hit open receivers when he has had the chance, but he is not the one being gashed by the opposing team's running game. He is not the one giving up a 58 yard pass to Brandon Marshall on the third play of the game. Ryan Tannehill can't block and he doesn't miss FGs. What we are saying is to stop acting like this team would be on the verge of the playoffs with a different qb. Right now the effort is bad across the board. With the exception of Landry and a couple of others, this entire roster stinks at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom