Kiper says Cutler all hype | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper says Cutler all hype

TexPhinPhan

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
last night on espn radio. (Another shameless plug for Sirius radio, it is great). Said Cutler did not have a great combine contrary to some reports but that he is the beneficiary of a lot of hype. He did NOT say that Cutler was going to be bad, however.

This is followed up with a Insiders article on espn.com. ANyone an Insider?

Interesting because it is different than what is being said on the internet.

im not sold on cutler completely because i havent really seen him play other than senior bowl week but for kiper to say he didnt have a great combine, i would consider his 4.77 40 and 23 reps on the bench very impressive.. i heard he misfired on a few passes during his workout but i saw how well he threw a few out patterns..hard, on a line, and slightly outside just the way we receivers like em... im not going to argue and say he had a great combine, but i would definately say he had a good one... for the record i am a vince young fan just so no1 thinks i have a bias opinion.

Maybe not great but definitely good. I'd definitely like to see the article.

Too bad NFL GMs don't think the same way Kiper does. Then we'd have a shot at Cutler.

SpeedRush99 said:
Maybe not great but definitely good. I'd definitely like to see the article.

Me too. Kiper clearly put much more stock into the college careers of the top 3 qbs than what has been going on recently.

BTW he was also one of the guys who said that Cutler had an ok Senior bowl (along with PAt Kirwan).

Kiper said he still ranks the qbs 1) Leinert 2) Young 3) Cutler.

Last thing he said (this whole segment started with, what else, the wonderlic)
If Young did score a 6, or 16 for that matter, it would only matter as a tie breaker between to otherwise equal prospects. in his mind, Young is not equal to Leinert and is better than Cutler, so it doesnt matter. He also said that while that is his opinion, it is possible that it could still hurt Young because of the perception it creates.

which one of those drills do you consider overly important or atleast more important than his passing skills that makes you think he's not as good as people say???

you said you couldnt find the part about strength.. he repped 225 23 times

DcRy82 said:
which one of those drills do you consider overly important or atleast more important than his passing skills that makes you think he's not as good as people say???
Dont misunderstand me, I have never seen the guy throw a football during a game, I am no expert. I am more interested in how a player's stock can rise so dramatically after a 4 year college carreer without taking a snap in a real game since.

I only point out the fact that some else in this thread used his 4.77 time and 23 reps as an indicator of a good combine. It seems to me that the 4.77 time was one of the slowest times run by qbs. I could not find info re the other drills.

The more interesting point to me is that Kiper is almost a lone voice in the media world re: Cutler. Everyone else (just google cutler) think that Cutler has made huge strides, is a cant miss prospect etc.

He is fast becoming one of the most overhyped players in this draft. Cutler was OK, but not great, at the Senior Bowl, but he's drawing all these rave reviews at the NFL scouting combine. He hasn't done anything at the combine that has wowed me to move him up in the draft.

Jay Cutler is going to be a top-15 pick, but does not rank as high QBs Matt Leinart or Vince Young.

Cutler hasn't improved his draft position by what he did at the Senior Bowl or combine. He had a good senior season and finished strong. If you like Cutler based on how he finished the season, that's fine, but don't think that he's moved up dramatically based on the Senior Bowl and combine.
He's going to go in the top 15 of the first round and might even go in the top five. But what he's done since the season ended doesn't put him up with Matt Leinart or Vince Young. I still have him in the top 10 of the draft, but you shouldn't think he'll be a top-three pick.

I think Cutler is the 'feel good' story of the pre-draft events.

Lets face it. The draft and everything that leads up to it is a spectacle. Its a competition between players to raise their stock and the draft itself is like a Superbowl.

The regular season is over. College football is over. Yet people are still jonesing for their football fix. The draft is the only thing to satisfy that fix.

So here is Jay Cutler. A guy who played for a small school, was underrated and overlooked throughout 90 percent of his career at Vanderbilt. Yet he has been noticed by some scouts who have said that with a good Senior Bowl and Combine could elevate his status greatly. And that is what he is doing. Cutler has participated in just about everything these events have to offer.

What we are really forgetting is that the Draft itself is overrated and overhyped show- and Cutler is the star of the show.

My favorite was Mike Mayock. Cutler would miss the target (overthrow usually ) and he would just rave about how the kid could zip it out and if he was oging to miss, he picked the right spot to miss. Then someone else would miss in virtually the same spot and Mayock would say "thats a pick." His mancrush for Cutler was evident.

TexPhinPhan said:
The more interesting point to me is that Kiper is almost a lone voice in the media world re: Cutler. Everyone else (just google cutler) think that Cutler has made huge strides, is a cant miss prospect etc.

On the NFL page at CBSsportsline they have a video report by Judge and Prisco.

Clark Judge feels the same way as Kiper does, and the way everybody did about two months ago: Leinart, Young... Cutler.... everybody else. Prisco has them Leinart... Cutler, Young.

I think as everything settles down, Leinart will go back to being the consenus top QB. Young will be interesting given his Wonderlic, but he may make it back up, too.

The Cutler climb is crazy and makes me nervous. What has he done to deserve this sudden climb? Senior bowl practices? Gotta be, because he was AWFUL in the game. He didn't have a bowl game.

Samphin said:
My favorite was Mike Mayock. Cutler would miss the target (overthrow usually ) and he would just rave about how the kid could zip it out and if he was oging to miss, he picked the right spot to miss. Then someone else would miss in virtually the same spot and Mayock would say "thats a pick." His mancrush for Cutler was evident.

Yeah... and before the Senior Bowl everybody was say he was going to dominate it like Rivers did... and when he did his stock was going to go sky high.

Then he was godawful in the senior bowl. And not a man-jack of them ate crow. They just went on about how great he was in practice as if that's what they meant all along.

Back
Top Bottom