Kiper Suggest Dolphins trade Back Up | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper Suggest Dolphins trade Back Up

I look forward to watching the draft every year. Yep, I'm one of those guys. I really enjoy it. But if we did that....the TV gets turned off.
But what if we did end up with more draft capital compared to staying at 3. Even if it's relatively minor. Then you can't really consider that weird journey from 3 to 4 a loss, considering we would be the first team picking a non-QB. Just like we'd have been at 3.

I absolutely agree with anyone that says it's not happening and it's a dumb idea to be floating considering the Fins public stance regarding how they have a enough top tier players they value on a similar level that one will be there at 6.

Just saying that it doesn't have to be an automatic L for us to do it. Would be really weird tho.

Not defending this. Just playing devil's advocate.

I take it you don't have a 401k
Any idiot can trade assets away TODAY for some form of future consideration.

Pushing potential into the future is NOT the best way to solve the problems you have today.

Beyond that the 401k analogy is lame. IMO.

Reactions: A1.
If we were dead set on Pitts but traded down from 3 to 12, then up from 12 to 6, we are idiots.

You don’t trade down from 3 to 12 if you’re set on one guy. And you definitely don’t trade up to 6 if you’re not sure that guy will be there at 6.

Our trades only make sense if we like 2-3 guys and know at least one of them will be there at 6. Which is what I view as the most likely scenario.
This Hass to be the correct logic or else we really did make an error

What would be the point of getting future picks from SF only to give up more picks to move back up but BEHIND where they initially were in the draft?

moving down 3 slots and still getting your target is a problem how?
HUGE assumption re the "target" but of course we'll ONLY know what they say.

Beyond that we managed to trade down effectively from 3 to 6 and GOT ZERO compensation for that in '21!

ZERO! That's not easy to do! In fact we lost value in the middle rounds. Now maybe some would rather fantasize about R1 picks

in 2 or 3 years ------ but last time I checked I'm pretty sure we have room on our roster for MORE TALENT today!

Sheesh! What is it with Kiper and Miami? He's always coming up with dumb stuff.

Beyond that we managed to trade down effectively from 3 to 6 and GOT ZERO compensation for that in '21!

ZERO! That's not easy to do! In fact we lost value in the middle rounds. Now maybe some would rather fantasize about R1 picks

in 2 or 3 years ------ but last time I checked I'm pretty sure we have room on our roster for MORE TALENT today!
When we made the Tunsil trade, the pick we acquired this year was 2 years away. Wouldn't that make it just a "fantasy pick" as well.

I think some people are being too dismissive of the pick just bc it's 2 years away. It's still a first rounder. I've seen people use the "move the pick one round back for each year" rule and call it equivalent to a 3rd rounder. I call BS on that.

And unlike a pick from any other round, a down year from the team can land u in position to draft a blue chip.

I wanted more too, but I have to say I'm enjoying the "fantasy" we are currently experiencing.

He was offered the GM job of the Baltimore Colts when they were moving to Indy and turned it down when he was offered his own role at ESPN.

Mel has earned his respect.

You haven't.
I have no idea where you ever got the idea Kiper turned down the Colts GM job because it NEVER happened. Twenty seven years ago he got into a feud with the Colts GM when the Colts didn’t draft Trent Dilfer with their first round draft pick. The Colts GM at the time stated that his neighbors knew more about the players in the draft than Kiper did. He basically said that Kiper didn’t know anything and was not respected around the NFL.

So getting into a disagreement with the Colts GM over who the Colts drafted is as close as he ever came to being the Colts GM.

I really have a hard time respecting your comments when they aren’t even accurate.

Last edited:

Yeah, we gave up a little now to reap big rewards later. Kind of like an investment...

Kiper is a major tool. He's just a cartoon character. Miami's picking at #6, it makes zero sense to move down then up again from 6 to 4. Kiper is losing it.
I still get a kick out of seeing the old clip of the Colts gm burning Mel kiper on live tv, saying how his neighbor knows more about sports than mel kiper and seeing kipers face when he said that. Granted the colts gm did make a bad pick, but then again it would've been bad for him to pick Trent Dilfer also like Kiper was beating up the gm for not taking.

He's had an interesting career. Back in the day, it was so hard to find draft information and he was one of the first to provide it. The fact that he's still somewhat relevant all these years later is kind of surprising, but I give him props. I admire anyone that can make a career out of something they love, but Kiper is kind of low on the list of the draft gurus that I pay attention to.
I quit watching the draft on ESPN and watch it on the NFL network. I have nothing against Kiper and he has certainly has had a long career as a so called draft expert. I just prefer to get my information about draft prospects from individuals who actually played the game.
If people like listening to Kiper for their information on players in the draft, so be it. Everyone is entitled to get their information on the players in the draft where ever they want to get it from.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom