Kyle Orton for a 3rd round pick at 9 million a year | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kyle Orton for a 3rd round pick at 9 million a year

Would you trade 3rd round pick and give Kyle Orton 9 million a year

• yes,please yes

Votes: 65 30.7%
  • Hell naw!!

Votes: 147 69.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That is a lot of money for a QB that is not very good. As I have said a 100 times. There is a reason that he is looking for a third team.

Never. Not gonna happen. To expensive for someone who isn't a franchise QB, and won't even be the undisputed starter from day one.

It wouldn't be overpaying to give him that kind of money. $9 million is what above average QB's make in this league. Franchise QB's make about $15 million per year.

I would trade a third rounder for him, but 9 million is too high.

Fyi guys, Denver paid his signing bonus so the contract is closer to $7 million as of now.

WTF?

Last year we drafted at 15 and this years team looks better.

In answer to the question, not a chance. I don't see Orton as a long term solution.

I'd roll with Henne this year and if it doesn't work out I'd pull the trigger and do whatever it takes to get Luck and (hopefully) put an end to the QB insanity.

Many said that exact same thing last offseason, when we were picking at 12 and had brought in Brandon Marshall, Dansby, and Mike Nolan. Look how that turned out. This offseasons improvements of this year have been very mild in comparison. We basically drafted 3 projects with our top 3 picks, and our "fix" at running back has been a joke. Picking in the top 13 or so of the draft sounds about right.

To answer the question: god no. Franchise quarterbacks are not available for third round picks in free agency. If Orton isn't a franchise quarterback, why waste our time? We have seen how this movie ends 15 times or so since Marino retired. Why go for yet another one?

Save the picks, save the money, save our blood pressure, and do whatever it takes to land a young quarterback in next years draft.

Yes to the 3rd rounder but at 4-5 million a year.

i feel like Broncos are gonna be forced to cut Orton, so why trade for him? Where else is he gonna go if they don't pull the trigger on him

Who told whom that Orton would only accept a $9 million per year contract?

I heard $6 million per year. I also heard that the Dolphins and Orton were close to an agreement on a restructured contract this last Tuesday, when it was the Dolphins who got cold feet.

Incidentally, his 2011 salary cap number will be $7.5 million. You can always trade a pick for him and just keep the one year salary. If he plays well enough that you want him around longer, you can discuss that with him next year.

I'm not one to raid Bill Cowher's cupboard but I will say this. That 3rd round pick isn't going to be the difference between Miami fixing its QB problems in the 2012 Draft or not. Now that the rookie wage scale is in place, a 3rd round pick isn't going to buy you much movement in the 1st round to try and get who you want. Maybe one or two spaces up the board. MAYBE. That 3rd round pick is just going to be a player...and 3rd round picks turn into nothing worth having about what, 70% of the time? I find that some people do serially overrate the worth of draft picks...and I'm a draft guy.

it isn't so much the actual losing of the 3rd round pick...its that likely you bring in orton and you get 2 more wins and as a result you pick a little lower and need more ammo to move up somewhat to go get your qb...

without orton with moore and henne this team imo could easily go 6-10...if it starts slow the media and fan base is gonna be on sparano like white on rice and this thing could very well snowball...with orton 8-8 9-7 max...thats probably a difference of picking 8or so slots in each round i would think...i'd want that 3rd rounder to throw in to admittedly other picks to go get our guy...vs a stop gap qb like kyle orton

as for who said orton was demanding $9 mil each of this and next year gm davenport said such a thing tonight in chat when i asked him what was the orton demand/what exactly was holding up the deal...the 3rd he said was agreed upon but the second year at $9 mil we balked on

Never. Not gonna happen. To expensive for someone who isn't a franchise QB, and won't even be the undisputed starter from day one.

yea teams get franchise qb's for a 3rd round pick lol

I would trade the third rounder but the money seems high to me?? I kinda think henne had a softmore jinx last year and coould bounce back.

How can you consider Henne having a "sophmore jinx" When his stats were comparable to his stats in 09...... Throwing his rookie year out the window since he only played in three games and didn't get much playing time in the three games he played in throwing the ball only 12 times. In each of the past two seasons he threw one more INT than touchdown passes and his passer ratings were exactly the same at 75.2 in 09 and 75.4 in 10. So what that shows me is with really Marshall being pretty much the only big difference in his two seasons as a starter that Henne didn't grow as a player at all. Im not saying he wont but stats dont lie in the fact he didn't improve or regress any...

I'm not a big Henne fan and honestly I agree with most of you that bringing in Orton wouldn't be much of an upgrade if any at all. My opinion is that we ride out this season with what we have and try to bring in some solid O Line depth especially with Long dealing with all of his injuries. And at least we can hang our hats on one thing, we are still better than the Bills haha

All we want, is a QB that can keep us in it for a good 10+ years...Doubt Henne is the guy, Devlin? Longshot, as is Moore. Hopefully, we can target a 1st round QB next and take our chances, many of us are just sick and tired of this carousell and waste of everybody´s time. 1st rd QBs? Of course you can miss, but if you hit, everything else is easier to fix...(not a given, remember #13)

Back
Top Bottom