Kyle Pitts is the key | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kyle Pitts is the key

If the Dolphins take Penei Sewell third, Cincinnati will take Pitts at 5, that's my bet. Nobody cares if Kelce or Gronk were drafted six spots before they were supposed to be. Pitts is as sure a thing as you get in a college player.
We are not taking Sewell. Flo is not stupid.

I don't disagree that he has skills. IDK about "sure fire elite" though.

I think you may have misunderstood my point.

First of all, TEs are not generally considered a value pick that high. Besides that, when I look at the actual teams picking the first 10 picks, I don't see any that are likely to use the pick on Pitts.

That was why I was asking who would draft him there. It didn't have that much to do with Pitts the player.

I know many fans don't look at things that deep (actually it isn't that deep), but context is important when someone says something like player "X" won't last past pick 10.

It's a meaningless statement, unless you consider who's picking, their individual situations, and what they are actually likely to do.
I kind of think you misunderstood my point about his skill. He is not just a TE, he could be moved to X, Y or Z receiver in different packages. He has the skillset to be able to make this happen. His versatility takes him out of the boxy TE role and adds significant value to him. There have been several scouts that believe a team may convert him to WR, many also rank him in the top 5 overall. This is my major point as to why I think he would be valued so high.

We are not taking Sewell. Flo is not stupid.
I don't know that taking someone who looks like as unbustable a prospect in this draft as there is and could be a Pro Bowler from day 1 would be stupid. I also have to ask why you think this is Flo's call exclusively, watching Grier draft, this is the exact move he makes, safe, vanilla, I have doubts we actually draft a WR if we can't move out of three.

Please don't take this post the wrong way as I would love to get a playmaker like Chase or Smith but this franchise has never put much stock in playmakers. In my time watching the draft I recall Yatil Green and Parker as round 1 WR's, no RB's of note and certainly no TE's. Last few years have brought us Tunsil, Fitzpatrick, Wilkins, Iggy, Jackson and Tua. Three Linemen, two secondary players and a QB.

As for Pitts? I love the prospect and would take him in a trade down or slight trade up from 18 but that is not this FO's style.

I have zero issues taking Pitts after trading down from 3 and then taking Harris at 18. These are my two favorite players in the draft.

Yeah sure, TE in the first round. Highly dumb move. The kind of move we would have done in the past
Thanks for not throwing your hat in the ring for Fins GM
It wouldn't be a dumb move at all. There are a lot of reasons why taking Pitts in the 1st makes sense for a young QB like Tua. Right now, our skill positions don't scare anyone. Doubling up with Smith at #3 and Waddle or Pitts at #18 would help us a lot and help create the mismatches our offense desperately needs. Having Gesicki and Pitts would give us flexibility from week to week, and a little protection if one of them went down to injury.

I’d love to trade down a few spots, take Pitts and Kwity Paye at 18. Nobody seems to want to go defense, like at all, but I really feel right tackles, wide receivers and running backs are easier to find in round two and three. I just keep thinking about the level of quarterback we will face twice a year in the AFC East, and it might get even tougher here after the draft maneuverings of the Jets and Patriots. I might double up on D if Paris Ford is there at 36 too.

I think Pitts is the most underrated best pick we could have in the first round . TE as a position translates pretty well to the Pro’s . I also believe many of the reasons good TE’s do fail is related to offensive scheming, QB preference and the inability to make an impact blocking.

There are 3 huge factors in this realization specific to Tua’s development and the development of our pass game moreso than other teams.

1. Given Tua’s strengths in the RPO/bootleg, underneath routes to someone with Pitts ability to create separation would be a god send for progression and production for Tua .

2. Kyle Pitts has the most freakish athletic ability potentially ever seen by a TE, his body control, ability to make catches with his hands and win one on one matchups with anyone is unmatched by any TE prospect that I can think of. This may allow Tua to open up the deep throws, we all know he is capable.

3. If we nab our star WR, Kyle Pitts would completely stretch the field, occupy safeties and open up one on one matchups for a guy like Chase/Smith to be able to work or vice versa ( pick your poison) . Also think more deep throws here

I think it is very reasonable to use a 2022 2nd round pick to move up or package some picks to grab Pitts after selecting chase/smith or potentially trading back and using that ammo to grab say a smith/chase/waddle, Pitts, Humphries.

As for RB, I think you take Williams in the 2nd and never look back.
Love Pitts but your theory on TE translating to the NFL is dead wrong. It is one of the hardest positions to play.

Gronk did both that’s why he’s the goat

ideally you draft guys that can do both at a plus grade clip but they are rare

more rare than a flex
I think a lot of people do not realize how great Gronk, Kittle and Kelce block. They are absolute insane blockers. Watch Gronk vs Chase Young 1vs1, Gronk straight handles him.

Back
Top Bottom